GM kills off Holden - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 20, 9:56 AM Thread Starter
Gold Member

GM kills off Holden

I find it interesting that Ford and GM built cars in Australia for decades and now it is no longer justifiable. Could the value of the currency be that far off so that building cars there is dead? There must be more to it, as Australia has been an OK place to build cars even if the market was relatively small. It looks like the entire Asian market is in turmoil for GM.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-51499775

https://abcnews.go.com/Business/wire...iland-69023837
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 20, 9:59 AM
Senior Tech Team
"The Stig"

Re: GM kills off Holden

Australia was subsidizing the car manufacturing for a long time. When that ended, Ford and GM both stopped production there.

It's unfortunate, my Holden (Pontiac G8) has been a fantastic car.

Derek Kiefer, member of Minnesota's
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 20, 10:14 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Kevin

Love my SS. Just don't know if I should keep it now. Finding some parts for the SSR is bad enough and GM made more than 2x the # of those.

2017 SS
1972 El Camino Custom
2005 SSR 6-speed
1999 Silverado
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 20, 11:09 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

This is sad. My 04 GTO is probably the most under appreciated cars from Holden.

Team Chevelle Member (20 years and counting...
)

'72 Chevelle Convertible (Mohave Gold) (all SS options, no SS badging)

2004 Pontiac GTO (Quicksilver) RIP April 2013
--> Replaced with 2004 Pontiac GTO (Barbados Blue)

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche (Sunset Orange Metallic)
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 20, 12:05 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72soft-top View Post
This is sad. My 04 GTO is probably the most under appreciated cars from Holden.
And I've been eyeing buying one lately. Last thing I need is another toy.... but we all know this obsession!

2017 SS
1972 El Camino Custom
2005 SSR 6-speed
1999 Silverado
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 20, 1:17 PM
Senior Tech Team
"The Stig"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSR71 View Post
Love my SS. Just don't know if I should keep it now. Finding some parts for the SSR is bad enough and GM made more than 2x the # of those.
I was kind of hoping we'd have traded the G8 for an SS by now, but those just aren't depreciating into my budget... so, we're doing a cam, exhaust, and tune in the G8 this spring and going to keep it until it hits 200k.

Derek Kiefer, member of Minnesota's

-
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 20, 5:40 PM
Senior Tech Team

Yup GM just keep shooting themselves in the foot. I have not bought a new GM car or truck since 1985 and I still won't buy another one new.
Kirk's67SS and Dean 1961 like this.

post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 20, 6:25 PM
Tech Team
Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Chevele View Post
Yup GM just keep shooting themselves in the foot. I have not bought a new GM car or truck since 1985 and I still won't buy another one new.
You don’t know what your missing, the new stuff offers things the older vehicles could only dream of.
Derek69SS, Bow_Tied and LeoP like this.

Life is too short for caring about every bodies else's stuff
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 20, 6:39 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Chevele View Post
Well it hasnt been that long for me. I bought a new 2012 Buick Regal GS. Kept it till it had 60K miles. I feel I got screwed on several new GM vehicles including the new 2000 Silverado i bought. The list of items that failed on that truck is lengthy. I have sworn off any more new GM vehicles. They are headed down the tubes. 20 years ago I would have never considered buying anything but big 3 vehicles. Now I have sworn off two of them and cant see buying from the remainer. Its a sad day.
Just dont understand how they cant make a reliable vehicle when other manufacturers seem to do it all the time. Wake up GM.
Kirk's67SS likes this.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 20, 7:17 PM
Senior Tech Team
Tom

Take a selfie and post it here-------------------so that I can see your surprised look!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tom Parsons
TC# 474
#3 FOREVER!!!!!
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak. (unknown)
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 20, 7:19 PM
Senior Tech Team

Up until the early 1980's, the big traditional car makers had most of the markets and the Japanese makes were just a small dent. They laughed off the imports as "the little guys".

As Japanese brands increased in quality and fuel economy, and the big guys stayed where they were, that small dent in the market grew. While GM, Ford and Chrysler struggled to build cars that weren't junk, the Asian imports seemed to get it right. People got tired real quick of their Pontiac being a clunker while their friend's Honda or Toyota just ran great.

Now the market is flooded by a dozen makes all seemingly getting better every time. And buyer loyalty slipped away.

Lincoln, Pontiac, now Holden, is the result.

I had a new 1990 GMC S Jimmy. It had about fifteen issues from the factory-and the dealership seemed to bungle every repair. One was a bad PCM.

My new 1999 GMC Savana 5.0 went through five-yes, FIVE transmissions. A head gasket blew at 100K miles.

My machinist had an early 2000's Silverado. Every brake line evaporated from fitting to fitting. He fixed it at his cost and dumped it. He builds amazing small and big block engines and runs a third gen Camaro drag car-but he'll never have a GM anything in his family ever again.

My LS Ascender has 350,000 miles on it, original rear and engine. The frame has holes in it, I don't know how much longer I can consider it viable.

LS1tech.com supermoderator.
How may I help you?
1971 Monte Carlo SS454-496ci 600hp
1999 Trans Am-500hp
2003 Iszu Ascender XL Limited V8
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 20, 7:20 PM
Tech Team
Red

The one and only new vehicle I ever bought was a 99 GMC (Old body style) Z-71 4x4. The sticker on it was over 40 G's and it was a steaming pile of dung from day one and didn't get any better over time. I now have a 2001 Silverado 1500 2 wheel drive that I bought used for 1500 bucks 5 years ago and it's been one of the best vehicles I've ever owned. I'll buy GM again but never new, unless I win the lotto.

Sometimes a man's got to do what a woman would never consider.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 20, 7:29 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grock-co View Post
You donít know what your missing, the new stuff offers things the older vehicles could only dream of.
You mean like very expensive vehicles that require repairs that competitors vehicles do not. Like the famous rotted brake, fuel and trans lines on the GM trucks that should have been a recall. Which can be a very hazardous situation.
Which also could have been remedied for less than $50.00 per vehicle. Whats another $50.00 per vehicle when the buyer is spending $50k. Yet if the buyer is lucky enough not to be killed when they faill the repair ends up costing $2K plus.
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 20, 7:38 PM
Senior Tech Team

I dealt with a Lemon Law atty (yes, on a Silverado) once. She said EVERY brand inc Lexus and MB contributed to her income !
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 20, 7:49 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ed

Garage

Guess I'm lucky and the fact that I live in a relatively nice area weather-wise, but my 06 Silverado crew cab is without a doubt the most trouble free vehicle I have owned. Can't say that about the new Lexus and Toyota I've also owned.
Bought it new and have 175K on it at this time. I keep up on the maintenance and replaced the normal wear items as required. Still gets about 6000 miles/qt of oil. The only problem I've had is that the engine oil pump failed at 155K (at least it did it in my driveway)
Derek69SS likes this.

Ed

70 El Camino SS 396
68 GTO (Thanks Mom)
06 Silverado
07 SRX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in