Antique Tags In Kansas - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Dean

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 20, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage
Antique Tags In Kansas

They are trying to change the rules on having antique tags in Kansas.
Something as simple as non original wheels will cause a 35 year old or older vehicle to disqualify.

I think maybe too many owners of home built hot rods or kit cars have been using antique tags to avoid taxes since they never expire.

We do have to pay personal property tax every year but no tag renewal.

Kansas Antique Tags - AUTOMOBILIA MOONLIGHT CARSHOW & STREET PARTY

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 20, 8:40 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Re: Antique Tags In Kansas

I seen that on the news just the other day. Seems like a load of crap to me. Even when so many of the cars were new, changing wheels, exhaust, engines, seat and interiors and more where common place by real car people and gear heads. Most real gear heads are and were never satisfied with the as born with mfg. offerings to their ride. On my 57 Chevy 2 dr. , '71 4WD pickup and my '71 Chevelle I went with YOM (Year of Mfg.) tags .....just because. Seemed to be a better choice to me than the antique tag but so many things like this are personal choices. Sure hope this nonsense gets shot down big time.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 20, 2:09 PM
Gold Founding Member
Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71-SS350 View Post
I seen that on the news just the other day. Seems like a load of crap to me. Even when so many of the cars were new, changing wheels, exhaust, engines, seat and interiors and more where common place by real car people and gear heads. Most real gear heads are and were never satisfied with the as born with mfg. offerings to their ride. On my 57 Chevy 2 dr. , '71 4WD pickup and my '71 Chevelle I went with YOM (Year of Mfg.) tags .....just because. Seemed to be a better choice to me than the antique tag but so many things like this are personal choices. Sure hope this nonsense gets shot down big time.
Here in this and several other counties of TN cars have to pass an emission test unless they have antique tags. We see the roughest junkiest cars and trucks on the roads with antique tags on them because they wont pass the emission test. These are the people that are abusing the system here, there has to be someway to weed them out.

70 Chevelle SS396 (496) Straub roller, 700r4
69 Malibu convertible (sold)
95 Z28 Convertible T56 6 speed
TC #54 Gold

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 20, 3:07 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

I put Pennsylvania antique tags on my Chevelle 20 years ago. Back then one had to submit pictures of your car and it had to be in original condition. How they knew the pictures were actually of the car that was requesting antique plates, I donít know. Guess if one could find same model and year they could have slid past.
Anyway I believe they have relaxed the requirements and donít think pics are even needed. Insurance coverage will be denied if one is found to be using vehicle to commute. But I guess if someone is going to bend the rules to get an antique plate they are not concerned about insurance.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 20, 3:40 PM Thread Starter
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

I've read articles before about how people in Kansas have been building new hot rods or kit cars using modern drive trains and fiberglass old Ford bodies and such and get in trouble for using antique plates when technically the vehicle should be classified as the year it was built which would mean It's not actually an antique and they should be paying a lot more in taxes and for license.

That why I personally *think* they are trying to change the rules.

I started thinking why pay $44.00 per year for licence tag renewal when my Chevelles qualify as antiques and the tags never expire.
I keep the antique tag in the trunk of my 69 and use one I bought off the internet. If I ever get stopped I'll say oops I forgot to change it back after a car show.

{edit}oops, wrong picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Deans3.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	617040   Click image for larger version

Name:	party_10_9_10 001.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	334.8 KB
ID:	617042  
0069SS likes this.

Last edited by Dean; Feb 18th, 20 at 4:06 PM.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 20, 4:16 PM
Tech Team
Dennis

Garage

From my perspective in California, $44 is still pretty cheap for car registration. But they should crack down on the abusers not punish true classic cars for having something as simple as a wheel change.

66 Chevelle hardtop - LFX 3.6 liter V6/6L50 6 speed auto trans, 3.07 10 bolt, full Hotchkis suspension, Wilwood 4 wheel discs, white with red interior, cowl hood.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 20, 5:38 PM
Senior Tech Team

Generate$ more ca$h to punish the
true classic car owners !
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 20, 8:19 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Kevin

Seems like I just posted this here yesterday.... or was it on another forum? (they say memory's the second thing to go!) Anyway, the scum here in MD also abuse the rules. Schitty Civics, Corollas, and Camrys running around with "HISTORIC" plates because the owners won't properly maintain their vehicles. The historic plates here only cost $100 per 2 years and you're exempt from emissions testing. It's not legal to use historic plates on a daily driver --- but there's zero enforcement. Once quick check they should do is that you can't register historic unless you (the person applying for the plate) already has another (non historic) registered vehicle. Not your spouse, not someone else living in the same household.... the applicant! Second, there should be required mileage checks - even if voluntary. Of course, then the scum will likely just start committing odometer fraud.

2017 SS
1972 El Camino Custom
2005 SSR 6-speed
1999 Silverado
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 20, 7:56 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSR71 View Post
Seems like I just posted this here yesterday.... or was it on another forum? (they say memory's the second thing to go!) Anyway, the scum here in MD also abuse the rules. Schitty Civics, Corollas, and Camrys running around with "HISTORIC" plates because the owners won't properly maintain their vehicles. The historic plates here only cost $100 per 2 years and you're exempt from emissions testing. It's not legal to use historic plates on a daily driver --- but there's zero enforcement. Once quick check they should do is that you can't register historic unless you (the person applying for the plate) already has another (non historic) registered vehicle. Not your spouse, not someone else living in the same household.... the applicant! Second, there should be required mileage checks - even if voluntary. Of course, then the scum will likely just start committing odometer fraud.
If asked, they'll tell you they have "bigger fish to fry"!

Dave
USAF Retired (1968-1988)
UTC Aerospace Systems, Space Systems International - Retired (1989-2014)
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 20, 10:10 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jon N.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSR71 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bates View Post
If asked, they'll tell you they have "bigger fish to fry"!
What?

I walk, use the bus, or ride my bicycle everywhere I need to get to. The car with historic plates is only used for parades and going to club meetings. Prove me wrong..... /sarc

Jon N.

The only reason someone would want insurance is if they want to pay someone elses bills or want someone else to pay their bills.

BIGOT is a word used by people that can't use logical reasoning to prove that you are wrong when you don't agree with them.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 20, 2:45 PM
Tim

I hope not!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D53BBC5B-68A6-4B14-BD81-ACF1A14F8C37.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	620256  
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 20, 5:10 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jonathan

All states will follow suit, too much money being lost. In NC we have to register each year but Historic plated cars are by law maxed at $500 for property tax value. I just reupped the Grundy policy, they valued my bronze 72 at $25K and the gold 72 at $15k. All of that tax money being lost.

Two 72 Chevelle Malibus, both 350 2bbls one Placer Gold, one Midnight Bronze

Other cars:
2005 Pontiac Vibe
2005 Ford Excursion
2000 Dodge Durango
2003 Mercedes E320
2-2018 Ford Fusions
2013 Ford Fusion
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 20, 5:18 PM Thread Starter
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0069SS View Post
I hope not!
That's an antique tag?

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 20, 6:53 PM
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
That's an antique tag?
Lol...yep!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in