Has the Ford Dealer Wrecked Customer's Mustang Been Discused? - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 20, 1:11 PM Thread Starter
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage
Has the Ford Dealer Wrecked Customer's Mustang Been Discused?

https://www.thedrive.com/news/32189/...wdy-test-drive

Quote:
Mark Grage
February 10 at 2:06 PM
2/13/20
To set the record straight, I DID NOT GET A FREE CAR OUT OF THIS, I AM PAYING FOR MY SHELBY. I just found out that the dealership talked to Power Nation and the Driver. Com and gave them some untrue information. The dealership called me yesterday and asked if i would remove my posts and they would make things right with me. So I thought I would do the right thing and do it, not knowing that they talked to Power Nation and the Drive.com. I DID NOT GET A FREE CAR. The dealership reimbursed me for cancellation fees of the service contract and the gap insurance, and the parts I already purchased for the car that they totaled.

2/12/20
Since my last post, Loveland Ford's management team has reached out to me to apologize and acknowledge that the entire situation could of been handled better. After speaking with them, I feel that their apology was sincere and that there will be changes made to ensure that this unfortunate situation won't happen again. In the end, all I wanted was a genuine apology and feel valued as a customer. I can truly say now that after having this conversation with them, I feel that they do value me as a customer and I do look forward to continuing doing business and building a relationship with Loveland Ford again.

2/10/20
After buying my new Mustang from Loveland Ford I decided to have them install a super charger. After the super charger was installed the mechanics apprentice and his friend took the car out to see what it would do. The mechanics apprentice totaled out my new Mustang with only 266 miles on it. To my knowledge he still works there. I won't be returning to Loveland Ford for any reason due to how unprofessional this matter was handled.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 20, 1:52 PM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage
Re: Has the Ford Dealer Wrecked Customer's Mustang Been Discused?

Like any story that just seems so out there, there is more to it than what is in 1 post.
I bet this isn't that far from the truth, but man, that would suck pretty damn bad having that happen.
"We made the customer whole, paid off his loan, and all incidental expenses that would have had anything to do with that car and the fact that it was wrecked," said Johnston. "He actually walked out of the store with plus money as opposed to what he [had invested in] the car, and he bought another new car from us."

Johnston says that Grage left the dealer with a Shelby-fettled 2016 Ford Mustang that it had just received on trade-in.""

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 20, 3:41 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bruce

Location: White Bear Lake, a northeast suburb of St. Paul, MinneSNOWta
Garage

I was at the local Pontiac/GMC/Buick Dealership checking in The Wife's Grand Prix GTP when I noticed a guy drive up to the service advisors counter in his fairly new GMC pickup truck. He tells the service advisor that the oil pressure light is on and won't go off even when he revs it -- the truck is running at this point. The advisor pokes his head into the cab apparently to look at the idiot lights. Then he opens the hood pulls the dip stick and looks at it. Suddenly, he dropped the dip stick and ran back to the drivers door and shuts the truck off.

There was no oil at all in the crank case.

The advisor rounded up several cans of oil and pored them in. The owner had vanished, but shortly returned with the dealership's owner in tow. They were still having a heated discussion when I left.
shovelrick and 68Chevele like this.

Our You Tube Vids:

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 20, 4:49 PM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

Unfortunately I have witnessed events like these working in dealerships. Its a stressful situation for both parties until all the facts are investigated. It eventually gets worked out.

There was a resto shop that I had worked in as a kid where one of the mechanics took a 67 Corvette out for a test/joy ride and wound up accidentally implanting it into the side of a commercial building. Talk about a 5h1t storm.

You're just jealous because you can't hear the voices!

1967 Olds Cutlass 468 BBC/T400
1963 Plymouth Fury 440/Torqueflite
2007 Ford Mustang GT (momma's car)
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 20, 7:11 PM
Gold Member

So they totaled his very new supercharged 2020 Mustang and now he gets a 2016 Mustang. WTF? Why did he not press them to simply replace the 2020 model as it is early enough in the model year to get a new one and put the supercharger on the new one? They could loan him a car off the used car lot until the new comes in. Now he has a 4 year old car that was traded in because it was a dud and he should be happy with that? No way.
Never expect fair or honest treatment from a car dealer.
TerryAT, Kirk's67SS and shovelrick like this.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 20, 8:36 PM
Senior Tech Team

thats messed up...they gave him no check on top of it?

Seen a car slide off a lift, get driven through a bay door, wrecked, all kinds of stuff when I was young and worked in shops. Almost every car got hammered, most do it.
I know someone who uh, lit up in a new Iroc & went up in flames when it fell between the seat and console. Didnt end well, strike 1.
Exit stage left!

Quote:
Freedom is not caring what others think of you
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 20, 8:43 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Randy

I'm guessing the car owner was eventually reimbursed for all he had invested in the wrecked car, bought the used Shelby, and pocketed the difference. The whole story here isn't known. The owner's post about not getting a free car is irrelevant, he obviously had it financed and was on the hook for payments, and a replacement car would put him in the same situation. A dang shame he wasted his money twice buying F*rds.

Randy
TC # 5401
67 Project SS Clone

Owning a Chevelle project is like having a giant-size piggy bank that you keep pouring money into....but you can't get it back out.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 20, 9:42 PM Thread Starter
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuisinartvette View Post
thats messed up...they gave him no check on top of it?

Seen a car slide off a lift, get driven through a bay door, wrecked, all kinds of stuff when I was young and worked in shops. Almost every car got hammered, most do it.
I know someone who uh, lit up in a new Iroc & went up in flames when it fell between the seat and console. Didnt end well, strike 1.
Exit stage left!
They actually gave him more than he had out of pocket on the car.

I too wondered why he didn't get another one like the one that got wrecked.
Kirk's67SS and shovelrick like this.

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 20, 12:28 AM
Tech Team
Joe

In the summer of 1974 I worked at a Lincoln/Mercury dealer. I had the owner's, mother's, new Continental in my stall doing it's first oil change service at 600 miles on the big 460. While I was in the parts department getting the oil and filter, the service manager saw it was down on all fours again. He assumed it was ready for her. He jumped in it and took off to deliver it back to her home. He got a few blocks away before he saw the oil light on. Our service truck took the filter and oil the few blocks and they were installed there. I don't know if she or the owner was ever told but, I'm sure you can imagine what I thought when I returned to the shop with the oil and saw the car was gone. I was not blamed for the mistake but, that didn't make me feel any better. Crazy stuff happens at the dealerships sometimes.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 20, 11:15 AM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

There is a thread on this site somewhere in the archives about a very similar tale. Cant recall who it was but a member here took his fairly new Mustang GT into the dealer for a repeat problem with the battery going dead if the car sat for any period. IiRC the GT was at the dealer for a week or so. The owner was called to pick up the GT and after putting it in the garage he said he noticed the distinct aroma of antifreeze. After inspecting the car he saw burnt rubber all over the rear quarters and wheel wells.
After investigating a non mechanic employee obtained the keys to the GT and took the car out for a very thorough flogging. They had the employee on film getting into the car and driving off. Cant recall how but someone observed the employee in a vacant lot doing high rev doughnuts just beating the GT. It was determined that the GT was over reved. Again IIRC the GT was replaced with a brand new GT. Still a very trying experience.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 20, 11:30 AM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickeyChevelle View Post
I was at the local Pontiac/GMC/Buick Dealership checking in The Wife's Grand Prix GTP when I noticed a guy drive up to the service advisors counter in his fairly new GMC pickup truck. He tells the service advisor that the oil pressure light is on and won't go off even when he revs it -- the truck is running at this point. The advisor pokes his head into the cab apparently to look at the idiot lights. Then he opens the hood pulls the dip stick and looks at it. Suddenly, he dropped the dip stick and ran back to the drivers door and shuts the truck off.

There was no oil at all in the crank case.

The advisor rounded up several cans of oil and pored them in. The owner had vanished, but shortly returned with the dealership's owner in tow. They were still having a heated discussion when I left.
I remember a case like that, the LOF kid forgot to put oil in a car. The service manager wanted this car done real fast so when the kid was done the manager brought it around for the lady. She drove off only to come back in a cab 15 min. later stating the car shut off and was very unhappy. When they towed the car in they tried to start it, the car ran but sounded like a can with a ton of bolts banging around. Found there was no oil in it, the manager fired the oil change guy on the spot. Later I asked the General Manager if the Service manager saw the oil light was on as if there was no oil in the car he should have seen it driving the car around and he was the last line of defense on the incident. The oil change kid got his job back and the big brass fired the service manger.
Kirk's67SS likes this.

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 20, 11:46 AM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Well i can relate the following with regards to oil changes. At one point i owned a brand new E350 Ford van. It was too large to fit in the garage so it lived outside. I recall it had about 10K miles and I changed the oil and filter outside in January and it was cold. After changing the oil and getting about two miles down the road I heard the engine starting to rap. I immediately pulled over and shut the engine off. The gasket from the old filter had stuck to the engine block so the new filter didnt seal. I got lucky but that brief period with no oil did its damage. By the time that truck had 60k miles on the odometer it was using a quart of oil every 200 miles. Yep, it got traded in on a new Silverado.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 20, 12:18 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Randy

Quote:
Originally Posted by blm View Post
Well i can relate the following with regards to oil changes. At one point i owned a brand new E350 Ford van. It was too large to fit in the garage so it lived outside. I recall it had about 10K miles and I changed the oil and filter outside in January and it was cold. After changing the oil and getting about two miles down the road I heard the engine starting to rap. I immediately pulled over and shut the engine off. The gasket from the old filter had stuck to the engine block so the new filter didnt seal. I got lucky but that brief period with no oil did its damage. By the time that truck had 60k miles on the odometer it was using a quart of oil every 200 miles. Yep, it got traded in on a new Silverado.
I saw the same thing just a few months ago. A lady in my neighborhood was stranded in her Nissan Sentra. She thought it had overheated. Checked the radiator, it was full. Pulled the dipstick and nothing on it. Oil pan plug was in place and tight, but the front of the engine was covered in oil. She had just come from an express oil change shop. She had to call for a tow, the old filter gasket was still stuck to the block. I don't know if she had the engine repaired, but she had driven about 7 miles with no oil, probably toasted.

Randy
TC # 5401
67 Project SS Clone

Owning a Chevelle project is like having a giant-size piggy bank that you keep pouring money into....but you can't get it back out.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 20, 2:47 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bill Wente

In my 20 years in Chevy dealerships I had seen 2 vehicles dropped off lube racks, a '64 Impala and a '66 C-10.

Forward to April 22nd 2017, I have my 2009 CC Sierra at the dealership for oil change. The same place I worked for a number of years although a change of ownership. I know many people still there, the service manager, general manager, techs, parts guys etc. First name basis with the owner.

My truck slides off the lift from the top, by the time I get there it's hanging by the left front lift arm under the LF wheel opening at a 45 angle. 26K damage est. including new frame. They put me in a new truck off the lot, "loaner".

The 5 week waiting game begins, I'm back and forth with their ins adjuster. Their comps are 120K mile MN farm trucks. My truck is 66K miles, NEVER winter driven and is as new. I am firm that all I want is my truck in the same condition that it was when I parked it in their service drive and I will not accept anything that has ever been driven on salt. National search, they can't find that. The service manager has the nerve to suggest it's no different than If I'd had a traffic accident, AHH, NO, I don't think so!!

So, 5 weeks in, I'm in the service manager's office, general manager comes in, shows me paperwork on a new truck I said would work for me, including numbers. He jots down a number, thousands under invoice, not good enough. We haggle some more and he drops another $1500. I take the deal. So I end up with a new truck, aside from a trim level upgrade I traded up 8 years for 10K plus tax and fees.

The dealership owner bought the 2009 from the insurance co and resold it as-is, plus parts. He made money on the whole deal, dealerships always make money!

A few '67s and a '66
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 20, 3:08 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnugene View Post
. A dang shame he wasted his money twice buying F*rds.
😁😁😁 “Fool me once....”
Kirk's67SS likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in