C 8 or 69 SS Convertible ? - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

68Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 47 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 20, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67_LS1 View Post
I’m only 62 so technically not old enough to own a late model Corvette. J/K.
(Not)
Plus I have all of my own hair and am allergic to cold chains. J/K.
(Still not)
I would take a Chevelle anytime.
You have expressed Corvette’s biggest issue, it’s an old man’s car !

The C 8 erases all old man image. IMO, a real game changer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 47 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 20, 1:19 PM
Team Member
Bill

Garage
Re: C 8 or 69 SS Convertible ?

I sold my 2014 GT500 Shelby and kept my 68 L79 Convertible with AC. That should give you a hint on my choice
shovelrick likes this.
post #18 of 47 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 20, 1:52 PM
Team Member
Tom

I understand storage space, I understand not being able to have funds for a desired car, I understand not having enough land to add a second building. I UNDERSTAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The wife and I are retired and on a fixed income--------------so future expansions are not possible.
But, when we were working, we sorta kinda planed for the future-------------but NOT enough. We had our 2000sqft house built on a 3/4 acre lot, with an attached 6car garage------------MORE THAN ENOUGH ROOM-----------NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!
So, after I retired, and while my wife was still working, I had the equivalent of a 5car garage added-------------------NOW, MORE THAN ENOUGH ROOM---------------NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! EVERYTHING is full!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My point is that you just cannot have enough money nor enough storage space!

We live on a corner, so just before I retired, we added a back drive.
And then after I retired we added the new building. Now, there is no room to add any more cars (as if we could even afford to buy another one!!!).
Here is front and back.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0111.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	616508   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0114.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	616510   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4518.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	616512   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4525.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	616514  

Name:	100_0505.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	616516   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0504.jpg
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	616518   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2227.jpg
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	616520   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2229.jpg
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	616522  

Name:	DSCN0144.jpg
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	616524   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0140.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	616526  

Tom Parsons
TC# 474
#3 FOREVER!!!!!
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak. (unknown)
post #19 of 47 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 20, 2:00 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZAUTO View Post
I understand storage space, I understand not being able to have funds for a desired car, I understand not having enough land to add a second building. I UNDERSTAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The wife and I are retired and on a fixed income--------------so future expansions are not possible.
But, when we were working, we sorta kinda planed for the future-------------but NOT enough. We had our 2000sqft house built on a 3/4 acre lot, with an attached 6car garage------------MORE THAN ENOUGH ROOM-----------NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!
So, after I retired, and while my wife was still working, I had the equivalent of a 5car garage added-------------------NOW, MORE THAN ENOUGH ROOM---------------NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! EVERYTHING is full!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My point is that you just cannot have enough money nor enough storage space!

We live on a corner, so just before I retired, we added a back drive.
And then after I retired we added the new building. Now, there is no room to add any more cars (as if we could even afford to buy another one!!!).
Here is front and back.
You really cut down your mowing time there

-Kevin
1965 Chevy Biscayne
<removed> 454cid, "peanut ports", Voodoo 60201
<coming soon> 460cid, Brodix RRO 270, 229/241 Hydraulic Roller
TH400, 3.36 Stock Rearend
post #20 of 47 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 20, 2:40 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

I go to a local all Chevy show every year that is sponsored by a Corvette club. So it’s the show attendees that vote on which cars are the best. Think all Chevelles are grouped with all Monte Carlos and they vote on best three. But for Corvettes they vote on best three Corvettes for each generation. So for past 18 years or so they have 4 different generations. These are relatively new cars. This year I imagine 3 will get trophy’s for their brand new C8s. What a joke. A car they literally just bought they win a trophy for. For what? I couldn’t even bring myself to vote for certain generations.
shovelrick likes this.
post #21 of 47 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 20, 3:56 PM
Tech Team
Bill

Garage

I doubt your deposit will get you a C8. Very limited production and they said they are loosing money on everyone they sell.

1969 Sport Coupe SS Tribute Cortez Silver 454 400TH
post #22 of 47 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 20, 5:54 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

In this area it doesn't pay to drive a nice Chevelle around unless you don't mind Taiwan replacement sheetmetal. It just isn't that exciting to me. While the Chevelle has nostalgic value and is fairly comfortable and, for the moment is maintaining it's value one politician could change all that by making insane changes to our fuel thefore making driving the car prohibitive. It has happened before. If I couldn't make passes on a traqck I'd part with the Chevelle.
Would I like a C8? Hell yes, especially the one I can't afford and isn't even being built yet.

'66 SS Chevelle
91 octane special
first day out
[email protected]
post #23 of 47 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 20, 6:11 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage

I have a FIX for this, Tom you sell your place to Reelysalty then he has room and you buy a bigger property for more garages JK, I keep my Chevelle in a fenced/camera facility, just a thought...?
1775SS likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #24 of 47 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 20, 6:29 PM
Team Member
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelrick View Post
I have a FIX for this, Tom you sell your place to Reelysalty then he has room and you buy a bigger property for more garages JK, I keep my Chevelle in a fenced/camera facility, just a thought...?

That WOULD work if I were 20-30yrs younger. But at my age, I don't want to start all over planning and having a multi-car garage (AT LEAST 20 cars), with a small house attached, built. When we had the new building built just a few years ago, that was more stress than I wanted to deal with.
shovelrick likes this.

Tom Parsons
TC# 474
#3 FOREVER!!!!!
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak. (unknown)
post #25 of 47 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 20, 6:56 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

Garage

I can appreciate any Corvette. But, what was your dream car when you were young ? Mine was a Chevelle.
Soon as I could save up enough $ I found a 66 Malibu convertible. Wasn't in the greatest condition, but that didn't matter.
That was 1982 and I had one of the coolest cars in high school.

So for me, it will always be a Chevelle.
blue_69_malibu and shovelrick like this.
post #26 of 47 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 20, 7:05 PM
Team Member
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1775SS View Post
I can appreciate any Corvette. But, what was your dream car when you were young ? Mine was a Chevelle.
Soon as I could save up enough $ I found a 66 Malibu convertible. Wasn't in the greatest condition, but that didn't matter.
That was 1982 and I had one of the coolest cars in high school.

So for me, it will always be a Chevelle.

In 1957 I was in the 8th grade. I had often heard the "big boys" talk about the fuel injected 57 Corvettes----------------and back then that was the baddest car on the planet! Since then I had always wanted one. Even though mine is a 56 (same body), it now has everything that would have been on a factory FI 57 Vette------and a little more. So, essentially, I have mine. The Chevelle would be in a VERY CLOSE 2nd place.
1775SS likes this.

Tom Parsons
TC# 474
#3 FOREVER!!!!!
post #27 of 47 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 20, 7:08 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69SS454 View Post
I doubt your deposit will get you a C8. Very limited production and they said they are loosing money on everyone they sell.
IF the dealer in fact has an allocation, he will get his C8. MacMulkin Corvette in Nashua, NH is taking orders for C8's and they have plenty of allocations available. They are the 2nd largest volume Corvette dealer in the US behind Kerbeck fwiw and have 196 C7's in inventory as of yesterday. Below is my 2019 Z06 Convertible on the third floor of their showroom area. Notice the 1970 Chevelle in the background!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2019_Z06_Conv_MacMulkin_3rdFloor.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	616538  

Dave
USAF Retired (1968-1988)
UTC Aerospace Systems, Space Systems International - Retired (1989-2014)
post #28 of 47 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 20, 7:38 PM
Senior Tech Team
jeff

You better have a lot of money for tires if you get the C8.
Those 20's are not cheap and when they are 1/2 way gone on tread they just do not hook up from what I have seen.

I would drive it like I drive my other cars throttle to the floor. Every 2 months for new tires would get a bit old at the prices they want.

It may be fun for a while but I know I would miss my older car.

My 72 chevelle was a Bale magnet.
Everyone in the slow lane was getting over on the highway kind of quick. I was like what is happening up there maybe I should get over.
Well the fast lane was packed up and you could no longer get over and the guy in front of me took the last available tiny spot.
There it was a Bale of straw right in the middle of the lane.
I center punched it at 55 MPH and it rained golden straw behind me ..I checked gauges and all was good.. kept checking them on the 10 miles back home.
The son and I get out of the car and look ..NO damage.. but a lot of straw in the headlight trim and all around the radiator and other places.

It was not 3 weeks later same deal on another stretch of highway.
It was in a large curve with no where to go a BIG Bale of Cotton.
Center punched it ..That one hit much harder speed was 55 MPH.
It looked like it was snowing behind me.

ZERO damage to the Chevelle.
You ever felt a Bale of Cotton.
It is packed solid and super heavy.

I would be sad if my Newer car like a C8 hit a cotton bale.

Not that people go around hitting stupid stuff in their rides.
I drive my cars a lot and eventually you will run something over here in Oklahoma.
And the roads suck.. They are getting better though.
post #29 of 47 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 20, 8:24 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69SS454 View Post
Each dealer has a 2020 allotment.
In typical GM fashion, Chevrolet has screwed up C8 intro beyond belief.
Mary Barro riding around in a camo C8, seriously ? So, who knows. To further complicate, I’m ordering convertible.

As to losing money, I doubt any first run ground up exotic makes $ from day one.

I am 56 on dealer’s allotment of 60.
blue_69_malibu likes this.
post #30 of 47 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 20, 8:47 PM
Tech Team

Garage

This is MY opinion:

I don't care how fast, how well handling, or how fantastic a new Corvette or Camaro drives, I'd NEVER swap a classic car for one. In my opinion these new cars have no class, no style. Sure they're superior in performance, handling, and braking but they're WAY behind a classic car in cool factor.

I've got a decent sized group of Musclecar buddies. Between us we have a 70 Chevelle, 69 Chevelle, 71 Chevelle, my 67 Chevelle, a 67 Camaro, a 69 Camaro, a 71 Buick GS, a 55 Chevy, a 54 Chevy pick up, a 66 Nova, and believe it or not a nasty 72 Maverick. We mostly do the cruise night thing with an occasional show here and there. If I had a nickel for how many times we've been out at a cruise night with new cars and people walk right by the new Challengers, Mustangs, and Camaro's to check out our cars, I'd be rich.

I remember one Saturday last year we rolled into a Cars N Coffee at a local Porsche dealership. It was heavily advertised on Facebook so we decided to give it a shot....well there were about 100 cars there and only 5 Musclecars….ours. Well those Porsche guys were all over our cars. I was pleasantly surprised because our loud big block cars stuck out like a sore thumb with all those fancy Porsche's. The people were very polite, respectful, and welcoming.

My point in this is that American Muscle is just super popular these days and it seems to draw way more attention and feedback than a new performance car. Honestly, I love driving a big block, stick shift Musclecar. Sure it's a different experience and sure it's raw and rough, but I wouldn't have it any other way.
David Bates, HKalin and shovelrick like this.

Greg

67 Chevelle SS 138 VIN
468 BB, AFR 265CC aluminum heads, Straub custom hydraulic roller cam, Performer RPM intake, Holley 950 carb, Legend LGT700 5 speed, 12 bolt rear with 3:73 gears, UMI suspension, 4 wheel disc brakes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in