Pump you own gas or not? - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

65Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 45 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 20, 9:39 PM
Tech Team
Don

Garage
Re: Pump you own gas or not?

Being born and raised in New Jersey it's just part of life here. Not really a big deal. And yes if I'm driving one of my nice cars I pump it myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 45 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 20, 11:21 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

In NJ most gas attendants will just click the pump on and then allow you to pump your own gas if you have a collector car or a muscle-car and most of them will just talk to you about the car, cause they like nice cars too.
Buttttt if you're at a station in NJ and the attendant grabs the pump handle away from you and says in broken english "I do I do" just jump in the car and go find another gas station
shovelrick, Hotwire and 1775SS like this.

John
71 El Camino SS
406 SBC M21 3.31 12 bolt
"Quality is always remembered,long after the price is forgotten"
"I would rather have questions I can't answer than have answers I can't question" :R.Feynman
post #18 of 45 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 20, 12:46 AM
Tech Team
Dennis

Garage

Wow! A really stupid rule that didnít start in California...what are the odds.....

66 Chevelle hardtop - LFX 3.6 liter V6/6L50 6 speed auto trans, 3.07 10 bolt, full Hotchkis suspension, Wilwood 4 wheel discs, white with red interior, cowl hood.
post #19 of 45 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 20, 12:47 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWagner View Post
There is a bill in Illinois that might return to the days of pump jockeys. I was one in 1964. I have no idea how much this would affect the price of gas, but it could provide some entry level job opportunities for those just starting out. Of course, this will make things a little bit clumsy compared to putting a credit card into the gas pump to pay. What are your thoughts on this?

https://fox59.com/2020/02/11/lawmake...&ICID=ref_fark

edit: I found this one gem that is justification for not letting the public pump their own gas (without double bagging).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo
Who wants to pay an Illegal to pump their gas?

'66 SS Chevelle
91 octane special
first day out
[email protected]
post #20 of 45 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 20, 6:04 AM
Tech Team
Dan

Garage

Living in PA, and being in Jersey often is nice, since the price of gas is less in Jersey, i would always fill up in NJ. Seems like its not way cheaper than it used to be, and at this point, it just pisses me off to have to wait for someone to come over to my car, and then come back when they feel like it to finish the sale, etc. I will always pump my own gas if i can.
post #21 of 45 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 20, 7:36 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

She really should have triple-bagged that gas....

Wonder if she made it home before it ate through the plastic bags.....

When I works, I works hard.
When I sits, I sits loose.
When I thinks, I falls asleep.

The '68 L79 Malibu survivor as found in Nov. 2014, in my profile pic.
post #22 of 45 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 20, 7:38 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

I prefer to pump my own, that way I can drain the hose...
post #23 of 45 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 20, 7:51 AM
Senior Tech Team
jeff

Last time I was in Oregon you could not pump your own gas.
You would need 15 car hops here in central OKC per gas station to keep up with the demand.
We have pay at the pump here as most places do.
18 gas pumps and all full and some waiting in line.. NO way 1 guy could keep up.
shovelrick and Jack454 like this.
post #24 of 45 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 20, 8:01 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stokerboats View Post
Who wants to pay an Illegal to pump their gas?
Lol, everyone in Jersey is. I was born and spent my younger years there. We go back on occasion and I can't stand other people pumping gas, like having a bathroom attendant aim for you.. Some of the damn guys try to settle your suspension when they throw the nozzle in like they're push starting the damn thing. 7 Elevens don't seem to be fairing much better either, damn shame.

JWagner, sorry to hear your state is contemplating this. It would be a job creator but it's just one more annoyance unfortunately.

I work next to the largest East coast hub for the gas pipeline and our gas taxes make fuel expensive. You'd think since transporting the fuel from the hub to stations wouldn't cost that much the prices would be less, but that's what you get for thinking reasonably.

*Jeff*

Project Salty - 1964 4 door Malibu, beaten, neglected, red headed foster child
LQ4 / T56 Swap
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #25 of 45 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 20, 9:05 AM
Senior Tech Team
Bart

Garage

I read yesterday that Illinois changed the bill to make it optional to have it pumped for you. Not like Illinois needed another dumba$$ law to begin with. If my kids and grand-kids weren't here, we would move to another state.
Binford likes this.

There's nothing wrong with being stupid as long as you know you're stupid, it's when you're stupid and don't know it that you become dangerous.
post #26 of 45 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 20, 9:21 AM
Tech Team

Garage

I figured it was just a job that was done away with for the big corps to save a dime. Never knew there was a bill or law against it.
How much more will this cost you at the pump?

69 Chevelle Conv 396
69 Chevelle Hardtop
69 Dodge Charger Rt
post #27 of 45 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 20, 10:16 AM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Itís easy to see this thread was responded to by car guys. I imagine most folks would love to have someone pump their gas and could care less if some spills on their vehicle. Especially women who view it as the dirty job it is.
Dean, shovelrick and Binford like this.
post #28 of 45 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 20, 11:14 AM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKalin View Post
I wonder how long it would take them to find the gas cap on a 56 Chevy.
I worked at a Boron 2 winters in a row back in the early 1980s. A guy came in with one of those and tested me. I couldn't find it, after he showed me I thought it was the coolest thing ever. He was cool about it, and when he would come back in, we would always have someone that didn't know service it to see if they could find it.
And I always pump my own gas, always. And my wifes, sometimes my kids... And I still do the windows and check oil just about every time. I even carry my own squeegee in the trunk.
HKalin and shovelrick like this.

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #29 of 45 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 20, 11:44 AM
Tech Team
Dennis

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart_Swisher View Post
I read yesterday that Illinois changed the bill to make it optional to have it pumped for you. Not like Illinois needed another dumba$$ law to begin with. If my kids and grand-kids weren't here, we would move to another state.
Iím OK with this. Some people may want the option. Not me.
But if your going to force every station to have a pump jockey, something has to pay for it. I hope they cover it by charging more for ďfull serviceĒ. They used to have that here and it was roughly .10 more per gallon.
shovelrick likes this.

66 Chevelle hardtop - LFX 3.6 liter V6/6L50 6 speed auto trans, 3.07 10 bolt, full Hotchkis suspension, Wilwood 4 wheel discs, white with red interior, cowl hood.
post #30 of 45 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 20, 12:06 PM
Senior Tech Team
Fat Stig

The only backwards ass state left is New Jersey, which is also run by idiots. Not surprising Illinois wants to join the short bus list
ZZ69chevelle likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpete, Dean, Derek69SS, hoffbug, rubadub, Grandsport, Thomas Jefferson, 1badss396, MEJ1990TM, and mrdjc99
As usual, Andy is right
If it doesn't fit, force it. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyway.

I have to keep reminding myself this isn't a Z16 convertible, Evening Orchid Camaro, or factory 1966 SS427 and get on with it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in