Inheiritance Money Investment - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

110Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 89 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 20, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage
Inheiritance Money Investment

My MIL passed away a few months ago and left my wife a little money, she's thinking of putting $20K in a CD or IRA but they only offer 1.5% is there something better that's not a gamble? I told her another Chevelle would be GREAT! she didn't find any humor in that lol
fastss396man likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 89 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 20, 12:25 PM
Senior Tech Team

Various stocks pay 4-7% dividends.
Why wholesale yer $ at bank ?
64elkynss and 427L88 like this.
post #3 of 89 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 20, 12:33 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Willie

Re: Inheiritance Money Investment

Go to a money manager, like an Edward Jones rep, and have a talk with them as they have some good options, but another Chevelle is always a good idea!

Willie

70 SS 454 Chevelle
72 SS 402 Chevelle
72 Monte Carlo 350
68 SS 396 Chevelle
2018 Malibu LT
see pics of them at

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 89 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 20, 1:00 PM
Senior Tech Team
Chris

If she doesn't like the Chevelle idea, how about a Camaro? She could also buy 20K worth of lottery tickets and hope for the best.

1969 Beaumont

1977 Bronco

The rest are boring responsible adult vehicles not worth mentioning.
post #5 of 89 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 20, 2:14 PM
Tech Team

As funny as it sounds with the craziness of the car world these days, a chevelle would be an investment that you could probably make money at!
1965stlhrsrdr likes this.
post #6 of 89 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 20, 2:52 PM
Gold Member
Gene

Ally bank for cash; their money market pays a decent rate. Its all automated tho. PS Ally was formerly known as GMAC. www.ally.com

Good idea by Willie.... I happen to know one of those folks, quite intimately! But dont yet, ask wifie to define "gamble".

Rates have collapsed again Rick, meaning the rates on guaranteed safe investments. Six months ago, the TD Ameritrade inventories were choc full of 3% 2 yr cd. The ten year treasury was 2.7%. NOW the 10 yr treasury is 1.7% and you can't hardly find a 1.5% CD. All this while inflation runs at near 2%. Yup, today's CD rates GUARANTEE your money loses its purchasing power long run. Yet, you get 100% safety short run.

The trouble also is, when rates collapse, all financial assets get bouyed, or inflated. So now you have 1.5% CD and stocks that are nearly exhausted , stretched as far as valuations will allow, or close.

So, its a hard time to put money to work, either risk-free, or some risk, due to external factors.

Once again, a money market fund from Ally yields 1.60% with daily liquidity and FDIC insurance. GREAT place to park cash while you go Chevelle hunting!

In the meantime, dial up Vanguard's WELLINGTON fund. You and wifey take a look at it. I wonder if she would consider it a "gamble". It is a very good balanced ( 60% stocks/40% bonds) fund. But look at the downside it has shown; see what she says. Hardest part is to define risk. Once you do, investing becomes easier.

To that end.....

I'll be doing these with my investment class tonight; its not a bad excersize you that and the Mrs might take a few minutes to do. That way if you do meet with someone, you can say " we already started working up our Investment Policy!", as that is what the questionnaire starts for you, a policy on how you prefer the funds invested. https://www.schwab.com/public/file/P...stionnaire.pdf

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #7 of 89 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 20, 3:01 PM
Senior Tech Team

1.5 percent isnt worth the trip to the bank. Use it to flip cars and parts.

Quote:
Freedom is not caring what others think of you
post #8 of 89 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 20, 3:02 PM
Gold Member
Gene

It aint his money man.

Gene
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #9 of 89 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 20, 3:14 PM
Tech Team
dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelysalty View Post
Various stocks pay 4-7% dividends.
Why wholesale yer $ at bank ?
OXY stock 7% dividend and low share price right now due to restructuring. Make the dividend and ride the share price up.
427L88 likes this.
post #10 of 89 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 20, 3:23 PM
Gold Member
Gene

Oil is slowly going out of business, although not in our lifetimes. Don't EVER expect any dividend increases from oil anymore. Oxy is decent co, for sure. BP pays a fat dividend.

7% , heck man, you can buy iron ore pellets and earn 12%! ( Mesabi trust)

PIPELINES may be preferred to OXY by most professionals . They make $$ as long as we consume. Oxy good if you believe oil will be going up anytime soon.

ENTERPRISE PRODUCTS is the grandaddy, along with Kinder Morgan, which used to be Tenneco. Tenneco is now an auto parts supplier ( and WICKEDLY CHEAP IF YOU GOT THE BALLZ!). The high yielding risk in that group is Energy Transfer. PS, those are public partnerships that generate K-1s, so only in IRA accounts or you'll upset your accountants.

REMEMBER kids, there has been more money lost chasing yield, than stolen at the end of a gun ( AND THAT WAS COINED IN THE 1930'S ! )

RICK k_i_s_s principle , PUT THE FUNDS IN THE ALLY M/M ACCOUNT UNTIL THE BEAR MARKET REALLY TAKES HOLD! And then invest. Its GOT to be soon. GOT TO BE.

Gene
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #11 of 89 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 20, 3:39 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelrick View Post
My MIL passed away a few months ago and left my wife a little money, she's thinking of putting $20K in a CD or IRA but they only offer 1.5% is there something better that's not a gamble? I told her another Chevelle would be GREAT! she didn't find any humor in that lol
This:

427L88 likes this.

Mike

My

AACA Senior Grand National
Good Guys Muscle Car of the Year Finalist

Eckler's Winternationals Platinum 1000 pts
2016 Midwest Chevelle Regional 1000 Point Award

NPD Choice Award All GM Oktoberfest
6 times Concours d'Elegance Best in Class

MCC Platinum & 2 times People's Choice Award & Carolina Chevelle Club Best in Show

2016 Midwest Chevelle Regional "Dean Call Award"
2015 OPGI Original Restored Award

MCACN Gold
post #12 of 89 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 20, 3:48 PM
Gold Member
Gene

Hahaha, it's way, way sexier than this! https://publicsecurities.brookfield....%20Sheet_R.pdf

Gene
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #13 of 89 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 20, 3:49 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage

I had her read the replies and she's going to think on what to do, yes not my money and I'm terrible at investing in cars, motorcycles, did make some $ on old Harley parts but not enough to want to do that again and she wouldn't want to either, she's talking another savings acct. but I'm saying no to that, if she listens ? thanks for the replies guys I've never been in this position before

post #14 of 89 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 20, 3:54 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage

HaHa I was typing I guess, Mike I'm going to be selling both my Harleys this year, Dr. says neck is so screwed up I'd be in a wheel chair if I fell wrong off a step ladder, m/c and with all the idiots behind steering wheels with a phone between that and their face I'm giving up riding, I need to nudge her in an investment like Gene is talking about
LeoP likes this.

post #15 of 89 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 20, 4:54 PM
Gold Member
Gene

Or just have her call me Rick. I wont charge a penny for a phone con. That investment policy worksheet from Schwab asks all the right questions!

and I am NOT recommending any investments to the public here. That Brookfield sheet is representative of what is out there. Some risk, but not market going away risk.
blue_69_malibu and shovelrick like this.

Gene
Be big, be a 'builder'!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in