Collecting license plates - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 20, 9:36 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Claude

Collecting license plates

First I'm not sure I am in the correct section for this but if it's not, moderators please move it where it should be… There was a thread a while ago about collecting license plates… I tried to reply to it but got a message saying that the thread was too old so I'm posting here… but I just wanted to say that I've been able to gather all 50 states (+ Washington DC) and I still have a few spares I'd be willing to trade or sell… Let me know if interested…
Thank you,
Claude.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5943.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	168.5 KB
ID:	614724   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191207_135906.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	614726  
427L88 likes this.

1971 Chevelle SS
1987 Buick Grand National 9.48 @ 142 mph
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 20, 9:45 PM
Tech Team
Drew

My gf May let u have her Newfoundland
Plate. She recently removed it from her car.
427L88 likes this.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 20, 10:36 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

Re: Collecting license plates

Trivia: My buddy Russ Robinson from ( Beamsville) Canada, Would tell me jokes about folks he called " New/fees",...... Does he mean Newfoundland folks?
Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1970 SS LS-5/M-22 El Camino- Org. Owner-AACA 2016-Senior Grand National Winner---MCACN-GOLD-2013
1970 ( FRAUD) SS 468 Station Wagon - Driver.
post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 20, 10:43 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
JOHN

How much for the US Virgin Island ones and the Quebec one ?
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 20, 11:04 PM
Senior Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to Jim Mac

I've got a few hung on the rafters, usual US state plates, caracao plate, a few european plates. got a 66 plate on my 66 chevelle. jim
427L88 likes this.

Jim

70 chevelle, SS clone 454 4 speed
71 camaro. (owned since 1978!) 6-71 blown small block 400
66 chevelle 350 4 speed 3.55 12 bolt
66 el camino 350 th350 parts hauler
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 20, 6:27 AM
Tech Team
Drew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinls5 View Post
Trivia: My buddy Russ Robinson from ( Beamsville) Canada, Would tell me jokes about folks he called " New/fees",...[IMG class=inlineimg]/forums/images/Chevelles_2016/smilies/tango_face_devil.png[/IMG]... Does he mean Newfoundland folks?
Bob

Yes sir he does
427L88 likes this.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 20, 11:22 AM
Tech Team
Dennis

Garage

I try to get a plate from a wrecking yard everywhere we travel. I have them from 34 states, a lot from Europe, Egypt, China, Iceland, Ireland, Canada, Mexico, a few from South America, etc. Still need to get to a few states, down under and Africa.
Kind of keepsake from everywhere we’ve been.

66 Chevelle hardtop - LFX 3.6 liter V6/6L50 6 speed auto trans, 3.07 10 bolt, full Hotchkis suspension, Wilwood 4 wheel discs, white with red interior, cowl hood.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 20, 2:02 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

My buddy collects, but of his are from 1969 (he has a beautiful '69 Charger R/T).. he has most (all?) of the West Coast...

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sold

Sold

&

post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 20, 9:29 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Claude

"FLASHED" and "67-LS1", I replied to your "pm"s…

Claude.

1971 Chevelle SS
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 20, 9:48 AM
Gold Member
Gene

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sikride View Post
My gf May let u have her Newfoundland
Plate. She recently removed it from her car.
Drew, is that a joke? I mean because even us Yanquis have heard tails of the "Newfie girls" !

Claude, son #2 is starting a collection. Even picked up a BC plate while skiing Whistler I believe, sort of doing a Dennis thing, but also, he's an iron scrapper, so he finds them in old barns often. He has a wall in his welding shop plastered with them. In fact, he had two matching 1972 NY plates, which are now re-registered and on our 67. At 19, he has a ways to go before he has all 50. + Provincial plates. ( Com'on, I was the pres of CanAm Chevelles once!)

You need some MANITOBA plates, which you may have as well. I double dig Bill Water's 66 because of the bison on the plate !

Hey BOB, I miss seeing Russ around! His long roof is also "double cool!". Two years ago at NOCC maybe? Last I saw him.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 20, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Claude

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427L88 View Post
Drew, is that a joke? I mean because even us Yanquis have heard tails of the "Newfie girls" !

Claude, son #2 is starting a collection. Even picked up a BC plate while skiing Whistler I believe, sort of doing a Dennis thing, but also, he's an iron scrapper, so he finds them in old barns often. He has a wall in his welding shop plastered with them. In fact, he had two matching 1972 NY plates, which are now re-registered and on our 67. At 19, he has a ways to go before he has all 50. + Provincial plates. ( Com'on, I was the pres of CanAm Chevelles once!)

You need some MANITOBA plates, which you may have as well. I double dig Bill Water's 66 because of the bison on the plate !

Hey BOB, I miss seeing Russ around! His long roof is also "double cool!". Two years ago at NOCC maybe? Last I saw him.
Gene… sorry but I don't have any Manitoba plates…

Claude.

1971 Chevelle SS
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 20, 11:09 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage

I don't collect old plates but ran across this FLA MC plate and tried to register it on my 72 Electraglide and the guy at DMV said because it was over 10 yrs old they couldn't do it, how do you go about getting old plates registered on old cars?
or maybe I was talking to the wrong person?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200129_100243_Film3.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	614918  

post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 20, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Claude

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelrick View Post
I don't collect old plates but ran across this FLA MC plate and tried to register it on my 72 Electraglide and the guy at DMV said because it was over 10 yrs old they couldn't do it, how do you go about getting old plates registered on old cars?
or maybe I was talking to the wrong person?
I'm sorry nut I dunno… To my knowledge, here in Quebec you cannot re-use a plate if it's been unused for more than one ( 1 ) year. Also that plate has to be in your own name from the beginning when it was initially issued and cannot be transferred to someone else's name.

Claude.
shovelrick likes this.

1971 Chevelle SS

Last edited by toofastforyou; Jan 29th, 20 at 12:05 PM.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 20, 6:18 PM
Gold Member
Gene

It's likely governed state by state, or even province by province.

Here in NY they're RIGID about using ORIGINAL license plates. They even want to physically examine them to ensure they're not some repop. I believe why may be due to lack of data. The cant verify originality thru the codes, only by physical examination, is my guess. I mean they take PICTURES of them , and then Albany has to OK it.

Can't imagine all 50 states are that rigid. NY is in the stone age. "Excelsior" my yanqui arse. But I play by the rules.

Oh Bill Waters' 66 with "buffalo" plates.

shovelrick likes this.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 20, 7:54 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

In Kansas we can re-register an old plate on an old vehicle if it is the year of the car.
"Year Of Manufacture Plate"
surmin69 and shovelrick like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in