In the '70s this was cool (all my buds had them!) - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

116Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 65 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 20, 6:03 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Lance

Location: Ocean Park, Wa. Home of the Rod Run to the end of the World!
In the '70s this was cool (all my buds had them!)

So, back when I was building low dollar hot rods we would mount little lights to the lower shock mount or on the back side of traction bars.
The Chevelle I built in my adult years was always intended to be the car I would have wanted, but could never afford as a high School teenager but done right.
Long story on the car but I used Elky springs in the rear and KYB gas shocks in the back for a better 70's stance along with a crate motor, juiced up a bit with disc brakes and all the comforts of a newer car.
Does anyone remember mounting these lights on the axle area just for show or fun?
I'm having a hard time deciding if it's just dumb or if I should keep going after the 70's High School look!
(the top pic is where we used to mount them.
What's your take?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0008 (2).jpg
Views:	93
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	614218  
Attached Images

hydro462 likes this.

It Aint Easy Being Green!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 65 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 20, 6:14 PM
Senior Tech Team
jerry

Re: In the '70s this was cool (all my buds had them!)

My memory tells me that was more an mid '80s thing...and we always laughed at those cars....sorry Lance. Great '68 and even better that you're local. We used to make it every year to THE Rod Run. It was quite different back when it was Labor day weekend. It seems since they moved it back a week it just wasn't the same. Still love that part of the state and the bay oysters are the friggin' best!!!
post #3 of 65 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 20, 6:22 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheveslakr View Post
My memory tells me that was more an mid '80s thing...and we always laughed at those cars....sorry Lance. Great '68 and even better that you're local. We used to make it every year to THE Rod Run. It was quite different back when it was Labor day weekend. It seems since they moved it back a week it just wasn't the same. Still love that part of the state and the bay oysters are the friggin' best!!!
Yup. 1985 my uncle had a 72 chevelle and from the back it looked like he ran over a Christmas tree. Lol. I thought it was cool as hell but the bulbs didnít last long mounted to the rear end. Those exact lights as well.

Tighten it till it strips and back it off a quarter turn.

70 (SOLD)

post #4 of 65 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 20, 6:24 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Lance

Yep, local to the Coast. My wife and I bought property here about 18 years ago and then two years ago the house to our immediate North went up for sale, we'd been drooling over it for a long time so we bought it, retired and moved here from Stevens Pass.

I Graduated High School in '78 and remember having them on my $500 '62 Chevy II nova... Maybe we were just ground breakers!
The real "Cool Guys" had them hooked up to running/turn/break lights

post #5 of 65 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 20, 6:29 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Lance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwhite00 View Post
Yup. 1985 my uncle had a 72 chevelle and from the back it looked like he ran over a Christmas tree. Lol. I thought it was cool as hell but the bulbs didnít last long mounted to the rear end. Those exact lights as well.
I have a couple shock mounted Motorcycle turn signals that I was thinking of using.
Since retiring, I spend days out in the shop tinkering with all the things I was never satisfied with on the car for the past 10 years or so. For instance, My wipers finally tuck away nicely and all the interior lights work, even the console lights!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Desktop.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	614220  
71350SS, surmin69, HKalin and 6 others like this.

post #6 of 65 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 20, 6:34 PM
Senior Tech Team
Hank

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68SS CLONER View Post
I have a couple shock mounted Motorcycle turn signals that I was thinking of using.
Since retiring, I spend days out in the shop tinkering with all the things I was never satisfied with on the car for the past 10 years or so. For instance, My wipers finally tuck away nicely and all the interior lights work, even the console lights!
If I saw you with those lights under your car I would say such a nice car and he had to ruin it. Real nice looking 68.

71 Malibu, Cottonwood Green, 396 BBC, AutoGear M22W 4 speed, 12 bolt 3:55 posi.
post #7 of 65 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 20, 6:45 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jim

Just dumb...but, back in the late 50's/early 60's I thought louvered hoods, flames, scallops, were cool. I might have felt differently back then. The way I see it now, shouldn't be any lights in the back except taillights, brake lights, and reverse if you're backing-up.
77 cruiser and 68SS CLONER like this.
post #8 of 65 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 20, 6:47 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
RonO.

Garage

Wow! I never met one of those cool guys.
68SS CLONER, HKalin and shovelrick like this.

1970-LS5, #28- Fathom Blue,TH400, original motor car.
1970- NOM, 496, M21, #48 Forest Green.
1972- Malibu, 350. TH350- original motor car, #43 Gulf Green.
post #9 of 65 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 20, 7:20 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bart

Garage

Lance, that is a real nice 68 you have, great paint/color.
68SS CLONER likes this.

69SS Daytona yellow
L35, M-20, 3.73

"AC's 2 by 75...... you roll'em down & drive

"Time treats everybody like a fool"
post #10 of 65 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 20, 7:37 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jim

I always thought why is he trying to make his nice car look like a big rig.
BTW I was never cool but I did drive a blown car on the street in 1979.
68SS CLONER, HKalin and shovelrick like this.

Jim

77 Monte
421 Profilers ported by Eric Weingartner, Straub HR 3200 conv. from Jake 200-4r w/ 3.73's
Machine work by Torvinen's machine
11.93 @ 112.7 & tuning
67 Imp.SS for the wife 275 hp 327-TH350
post #11 of 65 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 20, 8:24 PM
Team Member

What about adding this too? Why stop at shock lights. NICE car as is.
Attached Images

68SS CLONER and Chipston like this.

Dunc

'Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you' - unknown
post #12 of 65 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 20, 8:31 PM
Gold Founding Member

Garage

I bought a 70 Chevelle that had a blue light mounted on the front seam of the fuel tank. It was used to illuminate the chrome differential cover. It also had blue dot taillights. I removed them all. Not my thing.
68SS CLONER likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Peterson
The motivation that drives the commission of the worst human atrocities is an inevitable social consequence of the refusal of the self conscience individual to make the sacrifices appropriate to establishing a harmonious life and their consequent degeneration into a kind of murderous and resentment filled rage propagating endlessly through its variations in society until everything comes to an end.
post #13 of 65 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 20, 8:38 PM
Tech Team
Tim

Here's the thing, if you like it and it brings back fond memories, do it. In my 72' I had when I was 18 I had a Radio Shack equalizer with green and red lights in a V-shape that I loved to see light up as I jammed 38 Special, now 52 my 71' has one very similar and it takes me back to the days. I had deep dish cragars and the back was raised up with air shocks, I heard some guys come by and say they wouldn't do that, it was my car. On somethings we worry too much about what others say because we worry we might be laughed at or not fit in, I don't care. I respect everybody for what they like.
post #14 of 65 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 20, 9:25 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

I put these in my 71 coupe in the 80s when I was in high school. They look great shining through the Crager SS wheels at night. To be honest, I just bought a set to mount on my convertible. Not correct, but it’s my car and I think it looks great.

Team Chevelle Member (19 years and counting...
)

'72 Chevelle Convertible (Mohave Gold) (all SS options, no SS badging)

2004 Pontiac GTO (Quicksilver) RIP April 2013
--> Replaced with 2004 Pontiac GTO (Barbados Blue)

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche (Sunset Orange Metallic)
post #15 of 65 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 20, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Lance

Thanks all for the input, I do appreciate it!
Driving, or even just sitting in the shop and looking at the car brings back memories of my teen years (thank god there's no video evidence) cruising with my friends, burn-outs in the cul-de-sac, parties on the power line roads, etc...
I'll admit I gave some thought to the little lights but I think I'll leave those parts in the bin to use on a different project.
Thanks for helping with the decision!

Oh, and the Equalizer? Yep, loved those dancing lights mounted under the Pioneer Supertuner and the wedge speakers up on the package tray!
Lynyrd Skynyrd, Charlie Daniels, Molly Hatchet, and Van Halen blasting through until the speakers just crackled!
Today, I'd rather listen to the headers and gear drive!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	EQ.PNG
Views:	22
Size:	238.6 KB
ID:	614242   Click image for larger version

Name:	pioneer.PNG
Views:	21
Size:	507.5 KB
ID:	614244   Click image for larger version

Name:	wedge.PNG
Views:	21
Size:	421.8 KB
ID:	614246  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in