ecotec 4 banger motor? - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 20, 7:15 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to Jim Mac
ecotec 4 banger motor?

buddy was contemplating a engine swap into a early nova. it doesnt need a v8, they were thinking a ecotec 4 banger and whatever rear wheel drive trans that would bolt up.
Anyone hear or see a swap like this? they are used to the ecotec into thier sand buggies so getting them to run isnt a issue. jim
427L88 likes this.

Jim

70 chevelle, SS clone 454 4 speed
71 camaro. (owned since 1978!) 6-71 blown small block 400
66 chevelle 350 4 speed 3.55 12 bolt
66 el camino 350 th350 parts hauler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 20, 7:27 PM
Senior Tech Team
Chris

Re: ecotec 4 banger motor?

Pontiac Solstice or Saturn Sky would be a good donor car for that. Never seen one done before though.
Clint44 likes this.

1969 Beaumont
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1977 Bronco
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The rest are boring responsible adult vehicles not worth mentioning.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 20, 9:55 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage

The stock Ecotec bottom end can supposedly support some pretty serious power. Here is a 67 Nova that has a modern Ecotec in it:

Nova 2.0: Pro Touring With Four Cylinders - Speedhunters

1971 Malibu, factory buckets/full gauges/console, 377 roller cammed small block, Turbo 400, 3.42 10 bolt posi (Buick), - All your base are belong to us.

My Chevelle w/ open headers:

My Chevelle w/ 2.5 pipes + X crossover/18 inch glass packs:

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 20, 11:44 PM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

IMHO, sometimes just because you can does not mean you should. I prefer the ground pounding sound of a V8 not some fart box.
Pete 67, busterwivell and davewho1 like this.

Your just jealous because you can't hear the voices!

1967 Olds Cutlass 468 BBC/T400
1963 Plymouth Fury 440/Torqueflite
2007 Ford Mustang GT (momma's car)
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 20, 12:05 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to Jim Mac

their car has a 250, not sure if the stock oil pan clears the crossmember

Jim

70 chevelle, SS clone 454 4 speed
71 camaro. (owned since 1978!) 6-71 blown small block 400
66 chevelle 350 4 speed 3.55 12 bolt
66 el camino 350 th350 parts hauler
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 20, 6:39 AM
Senior Tech Team

Reading that nova article it Sounds like GM offers a connect & cruise & banger already set up for RWD

Tighten it till it strips and back it off a quarter turn.

70 (SOLD)

post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 20, 11:58 AM
Tech Team
Dennis

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwhite00 View Post
Reading that nova article it Sounds like GM offers a connect & cruise & banger already set up for RWD
They used too....the LTG Ecotec engine is no longer shown on their crate engine page.

I like the sound and feel of V8s too but since I drive mine everyday, 30 mpg is nice.
427L88 likes this.

66 Chevelle hardtop - LFX 3.6 liter V6/6L50 6 speed auto trans, 3.07 10 bolt, full Hotchkis suspension, Wilwood 4 wheel discs, white with red interior, cowl hood.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 20, 12:12 PM
Senior Tech Team
"The Stig"

A friend built the Ford equivalent; Duratec 4cyl in a Falcon

with a turbo, it's a total sleeper

https://www.timelessmuscle.com/featu...of-the-falcon/
Pete 67, 427L88 and VinceS427bb like this.

Derek Kiefer, member of Minnesota's

-
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 20, 12:46 PM
Tech Team
Dennis

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek69SS View Post
A friend built the Ford equivalent; Duratec 4cyl in a Falcon

with a turbo, it's a total sleeper

https://www.timelessmuscle.com/featu...of-the-falcon/
The Falcon is so cool. The engine looks factory. I love the fact that there is no chrome or polish under the hood. Nice job.
427L88, Derek69SS and VinceS427bb like this.

66 Chevelle hardtop - LFX 3.6 liter V6/6L50 6 speed auto trans, 3.07 10 bolt, full Hotchkis suspension, Wilwood 4 wheel discs, white with red interior, cowl hood.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 20, 1:12 PM
Gold Member
Gene

Me too Dennis! nicely done indeed! Derek, tell your bud the Chevelle boys are lovin' it!

And I would also disagree Eric, I dont need no V8 for a daily, nor the 603 HP my MJ467 pounds out. . In fact, my plan was to drop one of these in an 64 Elky (or other donor) one day soon as a daily. ( or maybe electric!)

https://www.cummins.com/engines/repower

PS, that Falcon Ford 4 banger rebuilt, may compete with a new Cummins 2.8L on cost. 200HP/300 ft lbs is adequate for what I'm looking for. Plus 25+ mpg at cruise. Plus I can make fuel for it from waste. Keep your LS convos. But I dig the huffed 4 bangers as powerplants. They make as much steam as a 307/350 V8 easily.
Derek69SS likes this.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 20, 2:28 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcutlass View Post
IMHO, sometimes just because you can does not mean you should. I prefer the ground pounding sound of a V8 not some fart box.
Agree....YT is full of young commenters..."My v6 camaro makes xxhp why would I want an old slower car"

Id never be happy wiht anything less than a V8..electrics turbos etc you can keep it

I like reeking of race gas after I get out, the smell of a vinyl interior, clatter of solid lifters, header tick its all part of it.

Quote:
This post is a duplicate of a post that you have posted in the last five minutes.

post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 20, 3:27 PM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67_LS1 View Post
They used too....the LTG Ecotec engine is no longer shown on their crate engine page.

I like the sound and feel of V8s too but since I drive mine everyday, 30 mpg is nice.
It was $8,000, and for some reason, nobody bought them.
Personally, I'd love one in my El Camino, same HP as stock 327, lighter, great gas mileage. But no way am I paying that much.
Another interesting swap would be the 5cyl from a Colorado/Canyon

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 20, 3:56 PM
Gold Member

The Falcon story is a good one. It struck me as odd that he was concerned over the initial cost of the basic car and once that deal was done, he seemed to go on an unlimited budget in doing the drivetrain. Nice job in the end, though.
427L88 likes this.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 20, 9:51 PM
Tech Team
Dennis

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer4x4 View Post
It was $8,000, and for some reason, nobody bought them.
Personally, I'd love one in my El Camino, same HP as stock 327, lighter, great gas mileage. But no way am I paying that much.
Another interesting swap would be the 5cyl from a Colorado/Canyon
I bought my 525 mile LFX V6 and 6 speed automatic, complete with all electrics, harness, ECM, and exhaust back to the cats for $2500.

post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 20, 11:14 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Kevin

I've also pondered a 3.6L v6 transplant from a modern Camaro or CTS into my EL. 300+ HP stock is 1/3 more than the stock v8 had. Then... think about going into uncharted territory with TWIN TURBOS!

Also, since these old cars were originally designed for inline 6s *and* v8s.... what other inline 6 could we drop in? The maligned Vortec 4200? (even though it wasn't a bad engine) A Cummins? (not sure the frame could survive the weight though)

This is what the spirit of hot rodding is all about. Just because it's not a v8 doesn't make it wrong.
427L88 and ChevelleFan70 like this.

2017 SS
1972 El Camino Custom
2005 SSR 6-speed
1999 Silverado
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in