Team Chevelle banner

ecotec 4 banger motor?

4K views 30 replies 19 participants last post by  67_LS1 
#1 ·
buddy was contemplating a engine swap into a early nova. it doesnt need a v8, they were thinking a ecotec 4 banger and whatever rear wheel drive trans that would bolt up.
Anyone hear or see a swap like this? they are used to the ecotec into thier sand buggies so getting them to run isnt a issue. jim

Reactions: 427L88
#11 ·
Agree....YT is full of young commenters..."My v6 camaro makes xxhp why would I want an old slower car"

Id never be happy wiht anything less than a V8..electrics turbos etc you can keep it

I like reeking of race gas after I get out, the smell of a vinyl interior, clatter of solid lifters, header tick its all part of it.

#5 ·
their car has a 250, not sure if the stock oil pan clears the crossmember

#8 ·
#10 ·
Me too Dennis! nicely done indeed! Derek, tell your bud the Chevelle boys are lovin' it!

And I would also disagree Eric, I dont need no V8 for a daily, nor the 603 HP my MJ467 pounds out. . In fact, my plan was to drop one of these in an 64 Elky (or other donor) one day soon as a daily. ( or maybe electric!)

https://www.cummins.com/engines/repower

PS, that Falcon Ford 4 banger rebuilt, may compete with a new Cummins 2.8L on cost. 200HP/300 ft lbs is adequate for what I'm looking for. Plus 25+ mpg at cruise. Plus I can make fuel for it from waste. Keep your LS convos. But I dig the huffed 4 bangers as powerplants. They make as much steam as a 307/350 V8 easily.

Reactions: Derek69SS
#18 ·
Well, he does build racecars for a living, so I'm sure there was supplier discounts, buddy pricing, used stuff, and left-overs from other projects involved. He's not one to skimp on durability and reliability though, so money would have been spent where needed to meet the goals.

#15 ·
I've also pondered a 3.6L v6 transplant from a modern Camaro or CTS into my EL. 300+ HP stock is 1/3 more than the stock v8 had. Then... think about going into uncharted territory with TWIN TURBOS! :surprise:

Also, since these old cars were originally designed for inline 6s *and* v8s.... what other inline 6 could we drop in? The maligned Vortec 4200? (even though it wasn't a bad engine) A Cummins? (not sure the frame could survive the weight though)

This is what the spirit of hot rodding is all about. Just because it's not a v8 doesn't make it wrong.

#25 ·
We already have a member here with a build thread that has a 3.6L and the trans out of a late model Camaro into a 67(?) Chevelle.I can't remember his user name but I bet he checks in here.
That 3.6L would be a great fit for the Nova but it might need a custom subframe.P/S when I wrote this I didn't know the Nova was a 4door,that might throw a wrench into the gears.

#16 ·
The power from these modern engines is something the original late sixties and early seventies engines could only dream about. Things are evolving very nice when it comes to powerful modern engine, I can not wait to see what the electric motor will be doing in another fiver years. The power numbers are going to be very impressive.

#19 ·
PS, when I first checked into the CMI RS 2.8 TD package it was more like 15K. Now at 8k COMPLETE, not a bad deal. Plus, I'm sure I can easily tune it to 250 hp 330 ft lbs. Heck a BT4 can make 300/400.

PSS I towed a Mercedes home with a Uhaul Ford Eco-X(?) and it sure pulled well for a little guy. Just like a N/A V8 imho. May not last as long, but....sure can see using one as the powerplant in an old Chevy. Well, teh crappier GM version that is. Ford makes a better 4 banger I think.

#20 ·
I helped a friend build a Nova during the gas crunch. Put 305 heads on a 283 same bore spread, unleaded valves. Spread bore 450 cfm Holley, intake, cam , headers,

4 speed Saginaw from a Vega/Monza Tall first gear to get you rolling. Get commuter car, fast off the light 30 mpg hwy 308 rear

283 had short stroke high revs. cruise at 70 all day long.

Today I would use a 200th trans, and EFI

#22 ·
#21 ·
the owner decided it's not worth doing, my buddy that was trying to talk him into doing the swap may end up buying the car (66 4 door) and use it as a weekend family driver. I told him it's a running driving 6 cylinder car with aftermarket cold AC. just drive it was my advice. jim

#26 ·
Well shoot, I have a 2005, 2.2L EcoTec with a 5 speed that needed a new home. Wouldn't mind having a running 250 inline engine either. Talk him back into it :laugh:

Reactions: 427L88
#23 ·
Chevrolet built one and had it on the show circuit and Hot Rod Power Tour a few years back. Was also part of the Connect and Cruise offerings for a while. I would consider getting a 4 banger and transmission out of a newer Camaro. By now there should be pretty good availability from crashed cars.

#24 ·
Ah, just remembered!
The new L3B engine. 2.7l 4CYL funky turbo. In the new Silverados, and the Cadillac CT4/CT5 as an option. Over 300HP (310?) and something like 350tq! 8sp auto I think.
Plus a 2.7 is the biggest 4cyl I ever saw, plus something like 21psi of boost never hurts either.
And it is a RWD powertrain.
Probably beat just about any factory drivetrain from the 60s.

#27 ·
My V6 powered 66 hardtop is up and running and my first fuel economy check was a tad over 32 mpg on about a 2 hour drive of 80% freeway/city.
I used a GPS speedo and filled up at the same station before and after.
Not quite at my 35 mpg goal but I think I can get there.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.