Bring Back The Astro Van?? - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 20, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage
Bring Back The Astro Van??

No. Not just no, but hell no. This vehicle was such a poorly engineered piece of crap - hard to work on, no reliability, and constant rattles when driving.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...evy-astro-van/

1971 Malibu, factory buckets/full gauges/console, 377 roller cammed small block, Turbo 400, 3.42 10 bolt posi (Buick), - All your base are belong to us.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Chevelle w/ open headers:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Chevelle w/ 2.5 pipes + X crossover/18 inch glass packs:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 20, 11:31 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Re: Bring Back The Astro Van??

They'd just bring back the name with something totally different and bloated with all the electronic gadgets they could fit in there.

Look at the new "Blazer". Just the name, fwd pos unibody turd.

Imagine working on a fwd astro..
LeoP likes this.

*Jeff*

Project Salty - 1964 4 door Malibu, beaten, neglected, red headed foster child
LQ4 / T56 Swap

post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 20, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwire View Post

Imagine working on a fwd astro..

The article states that they are petitioning for a front engine, rear wheel/all wheel drive Astro. But, even with rear wheel drive, the old Astro vans are a pain to work on. I absolutely despise my mother's Astro, but I have to keep it running, as she can not afford any car payments at all. That thing is the bane of my existence.

1971 Malibu, factory buckets/full gauges/console, 377 roller cammed small block, Turbo 400, 3.42 10 bolt posi (Buick), - All your base are belong to us.

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 20, 12:01 PM
Senior Tech Team
Terry

I liked the one I had. I bought it to use as a canvas and to haul things to work on the house. Painted some graphics and used it. Liked the fact things stayed dry inside. I had no issues with it while I owned it.
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06625.JPG
Views:	9
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	614052
LeoP likes this.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 20, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryAT View Post
I liked the one I had. I bought it to use as a canvas and to haul things to work on the house. Painted some graphics and used it. Liked the fact things stayed dry inside. I had no issues with it while I owned it.
Attachment 614052
Well, you are one of the lucky ones. Both of the Astro vans that my mother has owned have been pieces of crap. The '89 had to have head gaskets done around 80,000 miles - real quality there, GM.

The list of things that have been done to her 2000 is much longer. P.O.S.

post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 20, 12:11 PM
Tech Team

I hated working on those vans when I was at GM. Fuel pumps. CMFI's and idler arms, every week, every day. Those vans were a POS. One good thing, I was going to get a panel astro van and dump a good SBC in it to race unsuspecting car owners. Would have been a great sleeper.
Kirk's67SS likes this.

post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 20, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Chevele View Post
I hated working on those vans when I was at GM. Fuel pumps. CMFI's and idler arms, every week, every day. Those vans were a POS. One good thing, I was going to get a panel astro van and dump a good SBC in it to race unsuspecting car owners. Would have been a great sleeper.
I just replaced both idler arms last year with the Moog Problem Solver units. They should stop the issues with tire wear and idler arm failure.

post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 20, 3:35 PM
Senior Tech Team

I have three of them, all short length. Two have factory 5 speed sticks, one is a GMC Safari 4 cylinder, the other a V6 Astro. The 3rd is modified, 350 V8, 6 speed stick, air, power everything, 4 wheel disks, A/C, the works.

The 4 cylinder has over 200K on it, no problems, the other 5 speed is right at 249K miles, and nothing but a timing chain replacement, not because it broke, just mileage. NOT ONE PROBLEM WITH EITHER ONE OF THEM.

The 3rd came to me very owner and mechanic abused, no engine, nor trans, because previous owner managed to blow them up.

After this 4rd one, I want another one, so I can build a nice Corvair looking pickup truck from one, with all power, V6, 5 speed. Then, maybe a last one, V8, auto, flat bed, maybe a dually as well.

Any of you have these vans and have destroyed them, want to just get rid of them for free, aim them my way, I like 'em.
David Bates and 427L88 like this.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 20, 4:01 PM
Gold Member
Gene

So, we have Astro devotees up here in the wintery north. Car guys to boot. So I dont know why the hate. Like most really good cars, GM no longer makes them.

Hey IGNITIONMAN... I actually stopped by to say NICE! to see you posting again here sir. Good day Mr Ray!
LeoP likes this.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 20, 4:13 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakkoWarner View Post
Well, you are one of the lucky ones. Both of the Astro vans that my mother has owned have been pieces of crap. The '89 had to have head gaskets done around 80,000 miles - real quality there, GM.

The list of things that have been done to her 2000 is much longer. P.O.S.
sheesh tell us all how you really feel.........time to move on already. many others have made POS cars not just GM. I had a 2002 version and it made it to 247000 before popping the head gasket. No disrespect to anyone but many failures on any car are due to owner inflicted neglect. My company exclusively used the astro van all over the country and routinely took them to 250000 plus miles and meticulously maintaining them.

Marc S

71 SS 454 ELCO
Edelbrock Proflo4
TKO600
Strange 12bolt w/4.10
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 20, 4:30 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971ss454Elco View Post
sheesh tell us all how you really feel.........time to move on already. many others have made POS cars not just GM. I had a 2002 version and it made it to 247000 before popping the head gasket. No disrespect to anyone but many failures on any car are due to owner inflicted neglect. My company exclusively used the astro van all over the country and routinely took them to 250000 plus miles and meticulously maintaining them.
Let's see: Distributor failed around 50,000 miles (composite garbage), water pump failed around 50,000 miles, alternator failed around 40,000 miles, radiator failed around 50,000 miles, AC compressor leaked badly around 40,000 miles and had to be replaced, interior plastics are utter and complete disintegrating trash, transmission had to be rebuilt at 34,000 miles (luckily still under warranty) - then had to be rebuilt again around 70,000, had to replace intake manifold gaskets somewhere between 40,000 & 50,000 miles (gaskets were made of plastic - great material choice there - new gaskets are made of aluminum), & engine mounts had to be replaced around 50,000 miles. Not one of those failures can be attributed to lack of maintenance.

The biggest problem is that these vehicles required WAY too much maintenance. Nothing on them was engineered to last. Let the Astro name die forever.

post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 20, 5:12 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Let's see: Distributor failed around 50,000 miles (composite garbage), water pump failed around 50,000 miles, alternator failed around 40,000 miles, radiator failed around 50,000 miles, AC compressor leaked badly around 40,000 miles and had to be replaced, interior plastics are utter and complete disintegrating trash, transmission had to be rebuilt at 34,000 miles (luckily still under warranty) - then had to be rebuilt again around 70,000, had to replace intake manifold gaskets somewhere between 40,000 & 50,000 miles (gaskets were made of plastic - great material choice there - new gaskets are made of aluminum), & engine mounts had to be replaced around 50,000 miles. Not one of those failures can be attributed to lack of maintenance.

The biggest problem is that these vehicles required WAY too much maintenance. Nothing on them was engineered to last. Let the Astro name die forever.
Look we respct your opion and its not worth arguing about but suffice it to say our fleet dept never replaced the engine mounts, radiator, transmissions, intake gaskets, etc........ever in the vehicles lifetime. I know this because Im the fleet guy.

That said,
Alternator, water pump and the rest of what you speak of are wear items but they were not replaced in the intervals your speaking of other than the ac compressor which did fail at about 67000 on a couple. My 2002 never had a trans or radiator or engine mount or intake fail.

Now one of GM real POS is the Buick based 90 degree 3.8 V6 and front drive transnissions in cars like the grand prix, etc but not in the astro/safari siblings. Those used the 4.3/700r4 combo.

Im not talking about the GNX 3.8 as that was a killer engine. Im talking about the "dumbed" down versions in all the corporate clone cars.
Im also talking about the POS 2.8, 3.1, 3.4, etc 60 degree v6 POS.

My folks has a 84 S10 with the 2.8 V6/aut trans=POS. They aslo has a 99 Corsica with the 3.1 and 440T4 trans=POS. They also had a 99 grand pris with the Buick 3.8/auto trans=POS. all of these cars experienced exactly what you mentioned above in about the same time lines and mileage.

Marc S

71 SS 454 ELCO
Edelbrock Proflo4
TKO600
Strange 12bolt w/4.10
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 20, 5:37 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Garage

Quote:

My 2004 Astro is my daily driver.

350K mile original motor runs like brand new.

Except for the limited leg room on the left, I like it.

Best $20K I ever spent.

Time to move on if you got issues, Wakko.

Clean it up, get it running good, it'll sell easy.
Derek69SS, TerryAT and Bonkerman like this.

Mike

My

AACA Senior Grand National
Good Guys Muscle Car of the Year Finalist

Eckler's Winternationals Platinum 1000 pts
2016 Midwest Chevelle Regional 1000 Point Award

NPD Choice Award All GM Oktoberfest
6 times Concours d'Elegance Best in Class

MCC Platinum & 2 times People's Choice Award & Carolina Chevelle Club Best in Show

2016 Midwest Chevelle Regional "Dean Call Award"
2015 OPGI Original Restored Award

MCACN Gold
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 20, 6:03 PM
Tech Team
Aaron

Garage

I had a AWD Astro panel with the 4.3 as a work van for a little while. An colleague/competitor retired, and was hurting for money, so I bought it with a bunch of tools for a great price. Hed ordered it new, and it had a rear aux heater and some built in cabinets.

Was a pretty nice place to work, but more cramped than the Sprinter high roof and E350s we also had. It was comparatively great on gas and was an absolute tank in the snow. Ultimately, I sold it off because it was just too small for my 63 220 pound self to comfortably work in.

Donuts on your lawn.
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 20, 6:12 PM
Senior Tech Team

Not to mention 2 of the greatest 80's muscle trucks/cars ever... the GMC typhoon and cyclone were turbo 4.3/700r4 based.

Marc S

71 SS 454 ELCO
Edelbrock Proflo4
TKO600
Strange 12bolt w/4.10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in