The Joy Of NOS Parts - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

29Likes
  • 11 Post By SSuper Dave
  • 9 Post By augy
  • 3 Post By SSuper Dave
  • 5 Post By Stickman
  • 1 Post By 427L88

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 20, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Dave

The Joy Of NOS Parts

Aside from the fit and quality advantages, there is just something about taking a 50 year old part out of the wrapper for the first time...
I have been searching for a pair of behind the rear wheel moldings for my '68 Caprice for over ten years, and just found a right side one for the bargain price of $210. I've seen them come up for sale in pairs over the years for anywhere from $800 to $1,000, which is way beyond my budget. Maybe in the next ten years I can find a left side that's affordable!

It is a rare man who can count his own blessings and not mistake them for personal achievements.
"SSuper Dave" Palmer
A.C.E.S. #1483 TC #32 Gold
1970 El Camino Custom, 350/300, needs paint, rust free Arizona car
1968 Caprice coupe, Ash Gold/Ivy Gold, 327/300hp, rally wheels, disc brakes, buckets, console, am/fm and tach dash, tilt and a/c.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 20, 8:54 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Re: The Joy Of NOS Parts

Totally agree with the "finding an NOS part still in the original packaging", especially chrome or stainless goodies.

My problem is taking it out of the original packaging and actually installing it on a car.

"Geez, I hate doing this. It's so nice in it's original box. It was so hard to find. This could be the last one in existence".

It's a car-guy emotional disease called "NOS PTSD" (Pre-TSD).....

When I works, I works hard.
When I sits, I sits loose.
When I thinks, I falls asleep.

The '68 L79 Malibu survivor as found in Nov. 2014, in my profile pic.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 20, 1:06 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Great story. I've had few chances to open NOS when I knew what it was. Have some stuff I've acquired NOS with no idea what it's for but I hang on to it. If I had a $210 part I could flip for a grand, I'd be tempted to pocket the money and go repop.

Zeke

67 Chevelle
64 Chevelle
90 Corvette ZR1
TC# 3094 ACES# 7297
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 20, 6:52 AM
Senior Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to Jim Mac

couple years ago a guy was selling a chevelle console for cheap. I went a d bought it and as the talk turned to cars, parts etc. turned out he had a set of nos wheel well moldings for his old 69 chevelle still in wrappers with the screws. For the price he wanted to get them out of his rafters, i had to buy them. I ended up selling them to a guy who put them on ebay the same day. ever did look to see what they sold for. jim

Jim

70 chevelle, SS clone 454 4 speed 3.31 12 bolt posi
71 camaro. (owned since 1978!) 454-th400 3.07 12 bolt
66 chevelle 350 4 speed 3.55 12 bolt and a newly added 142 wieand blower
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 20, 7:44 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

The 68 Caprice is a very nice car...

There is something magical about opening up something that's been tucked away for years and that came from the greatest era in mans history..
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 20, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke67 View Post
Great story. I've had few chances to open NOS when I knew what it was. Have some stuff I've acquired NOS with no idea what it's for but I hang on to it. If I had a $210 part I could flip for a grand, I'd be tempted to pocket the money and go repop.
The thing on these (and almost every other B body part!) is they are NOT repopped. If you want decent ones, you look for NOS, used ones are always beat up (and I have those already!).

A few years ago, I did a '68 Chevelle 300 Deluxe. They have a ribbed rocker molding that is almost impossible to find. I lucked into a pair of NOS ones that were dirt cheap. Word passed thru the Chevelle community and a few months later, I got an e-mail from a member doing a frame off on an L-79 car, and he offered me $1,200 for them. I would have sold them for less if he'd had used set to swap for them, but he had none. I passed on the deal and used them on my car. Yes, a hell of a lot of profit, but I needed them and there were non other replacements.

Having had three of them, I used to buy and '68 NOS stuff that I could afford, whether I needed it or not, and have traded it to other guys for driver quality stuff if they were working on a car that "deserved" the NOS parts more than my cars.

Hydro, I've had this car for 15 years, its mostly a well used survivor. I've had a dozen Chevelles in that time, but this car always seems to stick around. It runs and drives great, and you never see another one.
427L88, davewho1 and augy like this.

It is a rare man who can count his own blessings and not mistake them for personal achievements.
"SSuper Dave" Palmer
A.C.E.S. #1483 TC #32 Gold
1970 El Camino Custom, 350/300, needs paint, rust free Arizona car
1968 Caprice coupe, Ash Gold/Ivy Gold, 327/300hp, rally wheels, disc brakes, buckets, console, am/fm and tach dash, tilt and a/c.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 20, 11:24 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dave

Not NOS...but walking thru a boneyard one day and I spotted what appeared to be 66' rear window trim sitting on the hood of a car. Looked pitted but I offered the guy $25 and he accepted. A little "Never Dull" wadding and elbow grease and it cleaned up like new. No dings or road rash... schwing !!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear Window Trim2.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	614480   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear Window Trim3.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	614482  
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 20, 8:28 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSuper Dave View Post
The thing on these (and almost every other B body part!) is they are NOT repopped. If you want decent ones, you look for NOS, used ones are always beat up (and I have those already!).

A few years ago, I did a '68 Chevelle 300 Deluxe. They have a ribbed rocker molding that is almost impossible to find. I lucked into a pair of NOS ones that were dirt cheap. Word passed thru the Chevelle community and a few months later, I got an e-mail from a member doing a frame off on an L-79 car, and he offered me $1,200 for them. I would have sold them for less if he'd had used set to swap for them, but he had none. I passed on the deal and used them on my car. Yes, a hell of a lot of profit, but I needed them and there were non other replacements.

Having had three of them, I used to buy and '68 NOS stuff that I could afford, whether I needed it or not, and have traded it to other guys for driver quality stuff if they were working on a car that "deserved" the NOS parts more than my cars.

Hydro, I've had this car for 15 years, its mostly a well used survivor. I've had a dozen Chevelles in that time, but this car always seems to stick around. It runs and drives great, and you never see another one.
Point take.

Zeke

67 Chevelle
64 Chevelle
90 Corvette ZR1
TC# 3094 ACES# 7297
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 20, 9:21 PM
Senior Tech Team

It is a good feeling.

Waayyyy back in the 1980's, when I started collecting parts for the Monte, I pretty much bought every molding and exterior trim new from Chevy Parts-including a grill. It's all still on it today.

LS1tech.com supermoderator.
How may I help you?
1971 Monte Carlo SS454-496ci 600hp
1999 Trans Am-500hp
2003 Iszu Ascender XL Limited V8
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 20, 9:32 PM
Team Member
Gene

Simple but rare pleasures, eh Dave. Very cool!
Stickman likes this.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 20, 10:07 PM
Tech Team

I DO find it funny though on E-Bay where people ask outrageous prices for mundane NOS parts that nobody would ever notice or care about if you used aftermarket or reproduction items. Would YOU pay $40 for a box of gas tank lock rings just because they were in a GM box?
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 20, 10:31 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

How bout a brand new looking NOS box from a fellow Chevelle guy at an NCOA show?

The 69 passenger's side mirror did look brand new also but I soon found out that I had just bought a nice GM box with a polished up mirror, I put my old mirror back on and the so called "NOS" mirror went in the scrap.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 20, 11:07 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

I started buying parts in the late 80s for my 71 coupe that I would restore some day. After I got the 72 convertible in 97, I sold the 71.

I experienced this last year when I installed NOS wheel well mouldings and NOS wheel trim rings from original GM boxes I bought in the late 80s. Also NOS chrome door handles.

Team Chevelle Member (20 years and counting...
)

'72 Chevelle Convertible (Mohave Gold) (all SS options, no SS badging)

2004 Pontiac GTO (Quicksilver) RIP April 2013
--> Replaced with 2004 Pontiac GTO (Barbados Blue)

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche (Sunset Orange Metallic)
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 20, 12:33 AM
Tech Team

I remember when I replaced my grille in 1995 or 1996, (from sometime before I bought the car in 88 until then, it had a 71' grille and 72' headlight rings) and Year One still had a supply of NOS 72' grilles. I DID feel a little funny opening the package. I'll have to think about it, but it's probably the ONLY NOS part on the whole car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in