I miss the Mom and Pop parts stores - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

69Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 20, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Bill

I miss the Mom and Pop parts stores

I'm in the process of installing an 88 454 in my 71 pickup. I decided to replace the insulated base gasket for my carburator and went to the nearest O'really?s this morning, 15 miles away. When I got there with the old one, the kid asked me what it was. I told him, and he asked what it was for, so I told him. He said they had one at the warehouse, he could have it by noon. I declined. I went to the nearest autOzone, and the little girl asked what it was, what it was for and finally found it on the computer and said they could have it by Tuesday. The kid next to her saw me drive up and asked if that was my blue car out there. I said yes. He asked what it was. I should have just told him it was a blue car. I'm thinking my base gasket isn't in that bad of shape after all.........or, I can just go to NAPA Monday.
71350SS, bikeron, HKalin and 2 others like this.

66 Malibu

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 20, 1:34 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage
If they sell gasket material you could trace your old one and cut it out but I know what you mean, I called 3 big name local parts stores for a 1211 rec port intake gasket and every (kid?) that answered the phone said "what make and model?" I said the motor is made from different parts and they kept saying the part # needed letters in front of numbers untill I called a forth store and an older sounding guy answered and I told him I need a 1211 int gasket he then said "oh that's in our performance line" after about 1 minute lol
davewho1 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 20, 2:38 PM
Senior Tech Team

Re: I miss the Mom and Pop parts stores

This is exactly why I order EVERYTHING online ahead of time from Amazon or Rockauto,etc. I'm tired of wasting my time & gas money for the pleasure of dealing with idiots, then driving home empty handed.
71350SS, OLDED, davewho1 and 4 others like this.

64 2 door Wagon Build thread

67 2 door Sedan LS1 T56

post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 20, 4:00 PM
Gold Founding Member

Garage

Doesn't '88 have TBI? I thought carbs were gone after '87?
Fel-Pro 60482 $5.33 on Amazon with free delivery on Monday.
In the old days parts stores would have carb base gaskets hanging on the wall.
hydro462 likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Peterson
The motivation that drives the commission of the worst human atrocities is an inevitable social consequence of the refusal of the self conscience individual to make the sacrifices appropriate to establishing a harmonious life and their consequent degeneration into a kind of murderous and resentment filled rage propagating endlessly through its variations in society until everything comes to an end.
post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 20, 4:08 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Shane

I went to iowa for an army school.

My starter went.

I went to the nearest autozone and stated I needed a starter for my car.

He asked what make?

I said Saab.

He said "what's a saab?"

I left.
71350SS, bikeron and shovelrick like this.

New oil is cheaper than new parts
post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 20, 4:36 PM
Senior Tech Team
jerry

Napa has a young kid I like to screw with. I ask for a 2-6 plastigage…..he went to his keyboard and just started to hit the keys, then looked up like a lost sheep. The veteran next to him just started to laugh. I told him to pay close attention, this is a teachable moment, he did, he's not dumb by any means, and he listened, learned, and he'll know next time. He knows me, and always asks what cool car I'm working on now??
71350SS and shovelrick like this.
post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 20, 4:50 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan F View Post
Doesn't '88 have TBI? I thought carbs were gone after '87?
Fel-Pro 60482 $5.33 on Amazon with free delivery on Monday.
In the old days parts stores would have carb base gaskets hanging on the wall.
This is stamped 88 on the block, definitely had a carb on it, was in a motor home.
Thanks for the Amazon lead
I agree, the guy behind the counter would just walk to a shelf or a hook on the wall and bring it to the counter.
Ah, the good old days................
71350SS and shovelrick like this.

66 Malibu

post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 20, 4:57 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

There was a big Napa store with a machine shop in the back in the city where I grew up.My Uncle who was an auto mechanic and had his own gas station before he retired told me to go there and wait for Ernie to be free and put your parts order in with him.In 1976 that was some of the best advice I ever had,that guy would take the time to explain things about the parts I was buying or help me out if I didn't know what to buy.
That place is closed now and they put about 3 or 4 different stores in the same place.

John
71 El Camino SS
406 SBC M21 3.31 12 bolt
"Quality is always remembered,long after the price is forgotten"
post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 20, 5:17 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterwivell View Post
This is stamped 88 on the block, definitely had a carb on it, was in a motor home.
Thanks for the Amazon lead
I agree, the guy behind the counter would just walk to a shelf or a hook on the wall and bring it to the counter.
Ah, the good old days................
The TBI's came out on the light duty trucks first and the Heavier duty trucks still had carb's because they had looser emission standards.Later on they all came with some form of EFI.I'm not positive on what year the change over was though.
shovelrick likes this.

John
71 El Camino SS
406 SBC M21 3.31 12 bolt
"Quality is always remembered,long after the price is forgotten"
post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 20, 5:18 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ron

If most of us weren't after "the best deal", meaning the lowest price for the least quality, maybe many of those places would still be in business.

There is one of those stores, a Napa one, near my mother-in-law's place; family-owned with the kids working in the store too. Yes, I could go to Autozone.. or use Amazon prime.. but I'd rather pay a little more and keep them around.

My car is here:

post #11 of 50 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 20, 5:53 PM
Gold Founding Member

Garage

I looked up a C30 to get the 454 in '88. I didn't check the heavier chassis...probably why it had a carb.

There is an outstanding NAPA store close to my business that my company buys from. Real parts guys that know what you need and where to get it. The only problem is sending your mechanic down there because it takes them longer to come back.

On my projects, I always check Rockauto first because I plan my parts needs and can wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Peterson
The motivation that drives the commission of the worst human atrocities is an inevitable social consequence of the refusal of the self conscience individual to make the sacrifices appropriate to establishing a harmonious life and their consequent degeneration into a kind of murderous and resentment filled rage propagating endlessly through its variations in society until everything comes to an end.
post #12 of 50 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 20, 6:14 PM
Senior Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to Jim Mac

I know the last 454 I bought had a tbi but it had a standard q jet intake and a funky adapter that had water going thru it, about a 1 inch thick. I bet merles would have had it on the shelf but it's a little farther drive into town.
i just changed the metal fuel filter in my 66, had a spare in the trunk. Decided to pick one up to have on hand and stopped at autozone. asked the guy for a 3/8 inch metal filter, he asked what year car etc. I jist went to the fuel filter display and found the universal filter. jim
shovelrick likes this.

Jim

70 chevelle, SS clone 454 4 speed
71 camaro. (owned since 1978!) 6-71 blown small block 400
66 chevelle 350 4 speed 3.55 12 bolt
66 el camino 350 th350 parts hauler
post #13 of 50 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 20, 7:27 PM
Tech Team
Red

In the first year or so of my wife and I being married I bought an Olds 442 after I totaled her POS 79 Malibu. The Olds had been sitting for a while before the repaint so I sent her to the local parts chain (Deckers) to get me all new belts and hoses because the ones on it were getting dry rot. My wife knew a thing or two about cars back then but when the counterman asked her what kind of car she tilted her head to one side and said "a red one" (she is blond). She said you should have seen the look on his face LOL. When I read the OP that's the first thing I thought of.

Sometimes a man's got to do what a woman would never consider.
post #14 of 50 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 20, 7:33 PM
Tech Team

I feel your pain. My local NAPA is pretty good. Autozone and Advance Auto - not so much. I went to Autozone and asked for some spark plugs by brand and part number. The 5 year old started with what year and what vehicle and it went downhill from there.

69 RS camaro, 410, M22 Autogear, 4-speed , 8 pt rollbar - SOLD
68 camaro - SOLD
67 Bel Air - perfect floors, rockers, trunk. Here we go again!
post #15 of 50 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 20, 7:52 PM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

The local Napa store here is still privately owned and gives that old fashioned type of service. To be honest, your not going to find many parts for 50 something year old cars same day at most auto parts store anymore. I plan out projects and source parts accordingly so as to have them all on hand at the start of the project or when I think I need them. I do try to buy local if the price is not too far off, for example I ordered a set of KYB gas adjusts for a project I just finished, locally they were $70-100+ ea and at Amazon I got them for $31.00 each shipped to my front door in a few days.

Your just jealous because you can't hear the voices!

1967 Olds Cutlass 468 BBC/T400
1963 Plymouth Fury 440/Torqueflite
2007 Ford Mustang GT (momma's car)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in