Design: This really is a dumb question... - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By hydro462
  • 1 Post By Cal Malibu

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 20, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Design: This really is a dumb question...

Okay all; somebody please enlighten me. Iím 60 and have been a car enthusiast since I was a kid. Iíve owned about 80 cars and have always enjoyed working on them more than driving them. One particular design feature has always puzzled me but Iíve never taken the time to ask, ďwhy?Ē

So here goes... WHY were there so many cars released in the golden days as both two-door-coupes AND as two-door-hardtops? Iíve never been able to see any difference other than the window channel between the front and back side windows. Why would any manufacturer spend the money to make two models of the same car with such a difference? Is one inherently better than the other? Would a large group of potential buyers really care enough that they wouldnít buy a two-door because it did or didnít have that window channel?

Enlighten me please...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 20, 11:00 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Re: Design: This really is a dumb question...

Some prefer strength and a quiet ride over looks.. I wish they would of made the sedan roof look better. Maybe they made them look off so people would by the hard top..

My 69 el Camino has the sedan roof and doors and is quiet going down the road where as hardtops usually rattle a lot..

A long time ago car thieves use to pass the sedans up for the easy access hard tops..

The 64 down hard tops usually had a nice chrome frame around the window which made a better fit but they stopped doing that in 65..
67_LS1 likes this.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 20, 11:13 AM
Tech Team

Lot of people like a 2 door hardtop, but needed a 4 door car, so it kind of took care of there needs, Also, not sure about Chevy, but some 4 door sedan type cars the rear window would not roll all the way down, so if you want that, you need a 4 door hardtop.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 20, 11:15 AM
Tech Team
Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by any4xx View Post
Okay all; somebody please enlighten me. I’m 60 and have been a car enthusiast since I was a kid. I’ve owned about 80 cars and have always enjoyed working on them more than driving them. One particular design feature has always puzzled me but I’ve never taken the time to ask, “why?”

So here goes... WHY were there so many cars released in the golden days as both two-door-coupes AND as two-door-hardtops? I’ve never been able to see any difference other than the window channel between the front and back side windows. Why would any manufacturer spend the money to make two models of the same car with such a difference? Is one inherently better than the other? Would a large group of potential buyers really care enough that they wouldn’t buy a two-door because it did or didn’t have that window channel?

Enlighten me please...

Just a styling design nothing more nothing less, Ford and dodge had the same thing. No different then bumperettes, hideaway head lights, hood ornaments, hub caps, I am sure there are other pointless items on all makes of cars.

What ever helped sell cars is what all these manufacturers did. It was all about sales.

Life is too short for caring about every bodies else's stuff
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 20, 11:16 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

The frames on those four door hard tops were massive!! When my dad first saw my new 67 Bonneville four door hard top he said this thing must have one hell of a big frame under there to be able to hold that door like that.. That was a very nice car, dark blue with those beautiful 8 lug wheels and a rear antenna.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 20, 11:22 AM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

I don't know why they made both in 2 door. In 4 door, I LOVE Hardtops, I love that 6' wide opening like my 1975 Impala had.
Also, Chevrolet called the Hardtops "Sport". Like my Impala's actual model was a 1975 Chevrolet Impala Sport V8. And it had the weakest engine (350 2V), and 4 doors, but the Hardtop made it "Sport". Buick/Pontiac/Oldsmobile all had names for the Hardtops as well, but I don't recall them.

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 20, 12:43 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Style, Its a Choice..
1775SS likes this.

Auto Upholstery Trimmer since 1977
Palo Alto Upholstery 650 326 6414
1967 Chevelle Super Sport 4sp.
1953 Chevy Bel Air 4 door.
1957 Chevy Bel Air 2 dr Hard Top.
1968 Chevy C20 CST Longbed.
1967 Malibu 396 Powerglide.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 20, 12:50 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Anyone remember the old Business Coupes?

Had a 41 Plymouth Business Coupe and put a back seat in it but there wasn't hardly any foot room for people back there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 20, 1:03 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage
I do remember business coupes that guys were making hot rods out of in the 70's, Im sure long before that too, door to door salesmens cars to haul whatever they were selling and Im guessing cheaper on gas than a big station wagon or panel truck of that era

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 20, 1:05 PM
Senior Tech Team
Keith

well for GM the sedans where your base striped down cheap models where as your hard tops got the better stuff so to speak

1966 Chevelle SS 396/360 M21 3:73 posi. silver/blue buckets

Maryland Chevelle Club #682
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 20, 1:14 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage
I do like the look of a sport roof better than a sedan and ever hit your head on the door window frame? lol, but back in those days it was all about what the customer wanted

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 20, 9:47 PM
Tech Team
Stan

Quote:
Originally Posted by any4xx View Post
Okay all; somebody please enlighten me. Iím 60 and have been a car enthusiast since I was a kid. Iíve owned about 80 cars and have always enjoyed working on them more than driving them. One particular design feature has always puzzled me but Iíve never taken the time to ask, ďwhy?Ē

At the time the majority of buyers were still stuck on 4 door sedans and viewed any 2 doors as too sporty for their lifestyle. However, if you could manage to sell them a 2 door, a sedan could be acceptable since it was still not as sporty as a hardtop, and would not have wind noise issues, which was concern to anyone considering purchasing a hardtop.

Last edited by davewho1; Jan 19th, 20 at 1:43 AM. Reason: fixed quote
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 20, 12:37 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Lance

Garage

FWIW: You have to remember, back then the average of the citizen was much younger than today, cars were much more reasonable in price and a working person could obtain one that was within their means, today with all the extra mandated safety features and GIMMICKS that are part of the PACKAGE we have a much more expensive vehicle, also current vehicles will easily exceed 100,000 miles without major overhauls due to better design and materials. It should also be inferred that the young stud of the 50's, 60's and 70's did not have a whole lot of use for mom and dad's or grandpa's and grandma's 4 door anything because it just was not a "chick magnet".
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 20, 1:41 AM
Tech Team
Rich

Take a look at the 55 thru 57 2 door Chevys. Seems like the roof is longer on the 2 door post than it is on the hard top. Look at the space between the bottom of the rear window (back-glass?) and the trunk. The 2 door post has the rear window positioned closer to the trunk. I have owned both styles of the old 55 to 57 Chevys and it is just something I noticed. There are probably a lot more differences. Maybe the 2 door post was better for back seat passengers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in