Life's Too Short To Just Work It Away - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

239Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 79 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 20, 8:54 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Hank

Garage
Life's Too Short To Just Work It Away

I can't believe how old some of these people in Congress are yet they still keep working. These people have some big bank accounts and would have medical benefits till they die. The reason I bring this up is over my life I have just seen to many die either at an early age or just about to reach retirement and die of something. I retired in January of 2013 at 62 mostly because I just couldn't stand the pain in my legs and feet from standing at my job all day. Since I've retired there has been a bunch of people that were ones that would talk about retiring, talk about where they had money invested in their 401k's and just couldn't wait to retire. One of these people is the one I just referred to another one dropped dead on his 62 birthday, and a lady I worked with just died last week at age 61. I started noticing this long ago and my advice to anyone is if you can retire early do it because you don't know if tomorrow will ever come.

71 Malibu, Cottonwood Green, 396 BBC, AutoGear M22W 4 speed, 12 bolt 3:55 posi.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 79 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 20, 9:21 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage
Re: Life's Too Short To Just Work It Away

I retired 17 years ago and have lost quite a few friends over the years, some fairly young.
David Bates, LeoP and HKalin like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 79 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 20, 9:45 PM
Tech Team
grr

I'll be 69 next week and I still work. I am an engineer and still design all types of special machinery. I do like my work and it keeps me busy.

I've been working 4 days a week for the past couple of years. I would just sit around the house and do nothing, if I was fully retired......

Just my .02.......grr

grr
Build Thread

post #4 of 79 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 20, 9:48 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
RonO.

Garage

Sage advice Hank. Regarding Congress-critters and their choice of eternal labor: "GREED COMES TO MIND".

1970-LS5, #28- Fathom Blue,TH400, original motor car.
1970- NOM, 496, M21, #48 Forest Green.
1972- Malibu, 350. TH350- original motor car, #43 Gulf Green.
post #5 of 79 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 20, 9:54 PM
Gold Member

Those folks in Congress are driven by greed and ego. For them that never gets old.
Several times I have read about some rally old congressman finally leaving and his staffers admit that for the last years of time in office he was mentally non-functional. That could explain some things.
I retired 10 years ago and am somewhat disappointed that my enthusiasm for my hobbies seemed to retire also. I got rid of my Malibu and El Camino because I lost the drive to work on them and enjoy them.
David Bates, LeoP, HKalin and 1 others like this.
post #6 of 79 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 20, 9:55 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Garage

I like my job, I am greedy, and I need something to do besides hang around here all day.
Dean, 427L88, surmin69 and 5 others like this.

Mike

My

AACA Senior Grand National
Good Guys Muscle Car of the Year Finalist

Eckler's Winternationals Platinum 1000 pts
2016 Midwest Chevelle Regional 1000 Point Award

NPD Choice Award All GM Oktoberfest
6 times Concours d'Elegance Best in Class

MCC Platinum & 2 times People's Choice Award & Carolina Chevelle Club Best in Show

2016 Midwest Chevelle Regional "Dean Call Award"
2015 OPGI Original Restored Award

MCACN Gold
post #7 of 79 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 20, 10:16 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage

My retirement plan is to stop when I quit breathing if I retired I would either get ran over riding one of my bikes by a kid reading his phone and I'd be blamed because I'm on a motorcycle, one of our 7 oak trees would decide to drop a large branch on my head when I'm not looking, my wife already works me like a rented mule when I have a day off so I'd probably die of a heart attack on our roof cleaning oak leaves (I'll post a pic of said roof soon)...and I need Chevelle $$$ Oh and I'm only 60
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200113_122438_Film3.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	184.6 KB
ID:	613826   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200113_122558_Film3.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	198.6 KB
ID:	613828   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200113_122331_Film3.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	226.8 KB
ID:	613830  
HKalin, davewho1, GSMCGSMC and 5 others like this.

post #8 of 79 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 20, 11:53 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

Garage

I can't wait to retire. The sooner the better. I'm pretty sure I can keep my self busy with all the projects and ideas that I've come up with over the years but just can't find the time to do any of them. Hopefully, i'lll have the energy and motivation to accomplish at least one project when the time comes.
HKalin, 77sonic, boyd66k20 and 3 others like this.
post #9 of 79 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 20, 12:30 AM
Tech Team
Adam

In addition to the greed & ego, most of the people over 'retirement age' in Congress have never truly worked like most of the people on this forum, so their bodies are not riddled by arthritis, back problems, aching joints, etc... They've just suckled off of our tax dollars and here we are old and broken down.
DUKE 69, JJ'65, 68post and 7 others like this.

1961 Bel Air 'sport coupe' ZZ454/M21
1965 Bel Air station wagon, sbc/th350 (daily driver)
1969 C10 swb, Straub/Foxwell ZZ532, Tremec Magnum Extreme by American Powertrain
(sorry, no Chevelle)
post #10 of 79 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 20, 12:33 AM
Tech Team
Dennis

Garage

I retired 6 years ago at 56. Best decision Iíve ever made.
But I get up every morning and once Iíve cleared the honey do list for the day, I leave and head to my shop. Itís about 10 minutes away. Perfect.
I also have guy I rent space too so there is someone there working on his hobbies a lot of the time too. Most of my friends still work so at least I have someone to help, get help from and BS with
If I get blah about my car for awhile, I have lots of other things to ďplayĒ with at the shop. Wood working, metal fab, etc.
This keeps me busy and keeps my wife and I from driving each other nuts.
bikeron, HKalin, davewho1 and 4 others like this.

66 Chevelle hardtop - LFX 3.6 liter V6/6L50 6 speed auto trans, 3.07 10 bolt, full Hotchkis suspension, Wilwood 4 wheel discs, white with red interior, cowl hood.
post #11 of 79 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 20, 2:15 AM
Tech Team

Garage

Live to work, or work to live. Some of us have that figured out.
bikeron, HKalin and shovelrick like this.

'69 Malibu
post #12 of 79 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 20, 2:37 AM
Tech Team

I retired in 2014 for the 2nd time, 1st time was in 2004, but my Son had to go to collage so rather than dig in my bank account I went back to work. I got heart disease in 2013 had 4 stents stuffed in my then change my life, got into shape and lost over 40lbs. I do more now that I am retired and work on the race car, my street cars and every other car and truck we all have plus house stuff too. The busier you stay the better you will enjoy retirement. I only left work as it was looking like my pension was going to go under so I jumped on it at age 60 the took SS at 62 and spend everyone else's money. Now that I will be 65 this year the pension plan will give me an exemption as I have not violated the work rules so I do plan to go back to work. More money for me to spend on the race car and other junk. Best thing I can tell you guys is get healthy when you retire. When my dad retired at 62 he just did nothing every day for a few years and withered away.

post #13 of 79 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 20, 8:09 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelrick View Post
Oh and I'm only 60
Sounds like you got another good 30-40 years of leaf clean up.

Better get a leaf blower and a six pack.
HKalin, shovelrick and 1775SS like this.

Mike

My

AACA Senior Grand National
Good Guys Muscle Car of the Year Finalist

Eckler's Winternationals Platinum 1000 pts
2016 Midwest Chevelle Regional 1000 Point Award

NPD Choice Award All GM Oktoberfest
6 times Concours d'Elegance Best in Class

MCC Platinum & 2 times People's Choice Award & Carolina Chevelle Club Best in Show

2016 Midwest Chevelle Regional "Dean Call Award"
2015 OPGI Original Restored Award

MCACN Gold
post #14 of 79 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 20, 8:20 AM
Tech Team

Garage

Staying in shape physically and mentally after work is where it's at for this guy. Actually , it's a good recipe for life as well. I thought I'd work as a mason till 70 but things changed around here and it wasn't fun anymore. Getting your ducks in a row on the way to retirement, makes life a whole lot better ball game. I hung up my spikes at 62 as well Hank. Life is good and I wanted at least 20 years to myself. So far it's been great. I actually have the time to talk to people and be nice.
HKalin, davewho1 and shovelrick like this.

66 SS-396/425 - M22 -3:73 -12 bolt
USN-SSBN 645-G
post #15 of 79 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 20, 9:03 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bill

My wife and I owned our own business for over 31 years. At 61, I contemplated selling and retiring. I decided against it, mostly because of health insurance. A year later I was diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer. Three years later I had my first heart attack. A year later, my wife got diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer, discovered when she had a heart attack. I'm thankful as heck that we had health insurance, it kept us from going bankrupt. After three deals in a row to sell our business fell apart, we finally got the job done a year and a half ago, two months before I turned 72. We're both on Medicare now, health has improved (somewhat), and I'm busy every day. Some days I'm playing with my cars, some days I'm working on our 5 acres, but I always have a plan to do something every day. We've taken a few 4-5 day trips around the Southwest, seeing things we were too busy to see before. I joke that I'm not sure I retired, I just changed jobs.

66 Malibu

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in