Life's Too Short To Just Work It Away - Page 3 - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

239Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #31 of 79 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 20, 1:40 PM
Tech Team

Re: Life's Too Short To Just Work It Away

Iím on the other end of the spectrum . I am 30 years old and just started saving for retirement 2 years ago . Unfortunately my company at the time does not offer a match on the 401k . I put 10 percent away because after bills / life / mortgage/ some spare spending money etc.. thatís what I can afford . I live in a modest old farm house here in northern Maryland with a detached two car garage . I work my ass off . I made 80g this year with overtime and what Iíve learned is that no matter how much you make it seems like itís never enough . I take time to do the things I want in life but still be humble . I need to figure out financially how to make the next 30 years work in my favor .. my dad is set to retire at 60 from Baltimore gas and electric ( EXELON) and Iím glad for him as most people donít get out of work while they are still healthy ..
427L88, HKalin and shovelrick like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 79 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 20, 2:09 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie schmidt View Post
I

By the way, since I waited until age 70 to start drawing my Social Security, I get a nice $4000 bonus from the government every month on top of my salary from our shop.
Sir, If I may. That $ 4 k is not from the govt, it’s your money being rightfully returned.

In your/my case doubly so as we paid in both sides for many, many years.
von, HKalin, cheveslakr and 2 others like this.
post #33 of 79 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 20, 2:11 PM
Senior Tech Team
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70ssclone View Post
Iím on the other end of the spectrum . I am 30 years old and just started saving for retirement 2 years ago . Unfortunately my company at the time does not offer a match on the 401k . I put 10 percent away because after bills / life / mortgage/ some spare spending money etc.. thatís what I can afford .
Hey put whatever you can afford into an IRA, and let it ride. And thats even thru the ups and downs of the market. You have time on your side and thru the years it will build. Just play around with a compound interest calculator and see how much different amounts can grow, even at small interest rates.
post #34 of 79 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 20, 4:32 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWagner View Post
I retired 10 years ago and am somewhat disappointed that my enthusiasm for my hobbies seemed to retire also. I got rid of my Malibu and El Camino because I lost the drive to work on them and enjoy them.
Have not sold my car but I can relate to the "drive" for the hobby going away. In some ways I think it stems from there is always "tomorrow" to work on the car. Tomorrows come and go and nothing gets done. Every now and then I decide on a project and get started, work it thru to finish and then the car sits till my next brainstorm for something to do comes up. I keep telling myself "get it running DON"T start doing something else that will keep it off the road".

Some other observations in no special order about posts in this thread....

Lost a lot of friends myself, lot of family members too. As we get older and time ticks away you start facing the fact that your number is more and more likely to come up. Three guys died with in a year of H.S. graduation, lost a few friends in 'Nam and the rate just keeps accelerating as time goes buy. My wife's last aunt died about 3 hours ago in Florida.

For the 30 Y/O who posted about investing. DO IT. My mom passed away in 1996 and left me some money...not a huge amount but not small either. We invested it and did not spend a dime. We changed the investment form from time to time but generally stayed with the prime "Grade A" stuff we originally invested in. It served us well when I effectively "got retired" in the tech layoffs that decimated that industry. A bit more on that later.

I can't sit around and watch the paint fade ....just cannot sit in front of the TV. I have pretty much rebuilt this house from end to end after we downsized maybe 11 years ago. Starting to run out of things to update / fix here after I four walled the kitchen last year and did EVERYTHING floor to ceiling and wall to wall. Included in that was moving a load bearing wall myself.

I didn't get to retire...I got retired in the post 2007 / 2008 crash, general meltdown. Bad business when you are in your mid 50's and the economy tanks. Never had the chance to choose when to pull the plug. The plug was pulled for me. I think you enter retirement with a different mindset when that happens as opposed to the situation where you get to decide when "enough is enough".

Biggest issue I see is that we gotta find things to do after retirement. Mydad retired due to health issues but he did not have many outside interests. He didn't last long. I spend 3 hours a week in the gym, do some volunteer work and keep pushing on the house when I can get my head wrapped around a project it needs. As my Doctor says: "Keep moving before you figure out you CANNOT GET MOVING". She is just the best and I think she has it pretty well covered with the quote I just gave ya.
post #35 of 79 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 20, 5:12 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelysalty View Post
Sir, If I may. That $ 4 k is not from the govt, itís your money being rightfully returned.

In your/my case doubly so as we paid in both sides for many, many years.
I see people keep saying that but we have already received quite a bit more than we ever paid in.
77 cruiser and HKalin like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #36 of 79 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 20, 7:39 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jim

Not regretting retiring at 59 one bit. Never be able to go back to a job now, I enjoy this too much.
von, Rick Dorion, HKalin and 1 others like this.

Jim

77 Monte
421 Profilers ported by Eric Weingartner, Straub HR 3200 conv. from Jake 200-4r w/ 3.73's
Machine work by Torvinen's machine
11.93 @ 112.7 & tuning
67 Imp.SS for the wife 275 hp 327-TH350
post #37 of 79 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 20, 8:38 PM
Senior Tech Team

Retired at 39, more than I ever could spend, had health and life by the shorthairs
Trusted the wrong people and wound up back in Ca in 99

51 now worked myself into an early grave, flat busted no benefits out there for guys like myself, not a good place to be.

Been working my dik off 7 days a week since the early 80s, this isnt not what I had planned. Hell, I was granted a retirement in Aug have yet to see one penny
Got a ck few days back for 3 yrs accumulated time..shoulda been substantial. I am going to frame this check for $ 0.19

Gotta get better somehow. Insurance companies are the devil I swear. Women a close 2nd, my downfall.
HKalin likes this.

Quote:
This post is a duplicate of a post that you have posted in the last five minutes.

post #38 of 79 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 20, 8:27 AM
Tech Team

It sounds like what many of you are saying the same things for a happy retirement. Save every cent, retire early and stay off prescription drugs.
77 cruiser and HKalin like this.
post #39 of 79 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 20, 10:48 AM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenchead69 View Post
It sounds like what many of you are saying the same things for a happy retirement. Save every cent, retire early and stay off prescription drugs.
Any blanket statement like "Stay off prescription drugs" is trouble. Every drug has side effects, some drugs interact with others and cause much worse trouble than the problems they are intended to treat. That said there are some drugs you just CANNOT simply blow off. My Doc is very careful about throwing meds at every symptom that I whine to her about (just kidding about the whining) but some things like meds for HBP are NOT optional or discretionary on the part of the patient.

A stroke can turn you into a potted plant in a matter of seconds. If ya don't care about yourself consider your signif. other who would be impacted and stuck caring for the potted plant that might be left after a serious stroke. Big Pharma does deserve much of the criticism they get but on the flip side there are a lot more drug options for diseases / conditions (such as HBP) than there were even a few years ago. My dad was a HBP patient and he was a pharmacist, seems he tried everything his Doc could think of. I recall him saying that he was pretty sure the Doc was outta options for medications for him. That has changed since he was around.

I have HPB which is totally controlled by a drug that has only been on the market for maybe 10 years. It costs BIG PHARMA HUGE money to develope all these drugs. Back when I was a kid (around the time fire was discovered) I remember him telling me about the sucess rate in developing drugs that actually worked AND that didn't cause other serious conditions. The ratio of sucess to failure is miniscule when they are working on new compounds. I am not defending BIG PHARMA just saying that I think "staying off prescription durgs" as a general rule is a foolhardy approach. Life style changes AND cautious use of scripts when working with a Doctor who "gets it" as far as not throwing more and more meds at a given condition is the answer IMHO.
427L88 likes this.
post #40 of 79 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 20, 3:37 PM
Gold Member
Gene

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenchead69 View Post
and booze and smokes. To Ray's point... a little dab of lisinopril keeps me from having a stroke and losing what little brains I have left. I tried diet/exersize before I succumbed. But its the only way to keep my BP mint, and its all I'mm on... hopefully for a long while! I dont like it, but the alternative is unacceptible.

My best local bud best bud Louie has been retired for a few years now. He now owns my old 427, which is going in a '57 Ford 4 door drag car. I dropped some extra stuff over to Louie's house and he told Bob and I how he stopped drinking and smoking once he retired.

"because I have so many cool projects I want to get to, I don't want to run out of time."

Words of wisdom from a retired Ford tech. and that's WORD! The nostalgic drag car is only one of many projects Louie is tinkering with. Man, I finally found a "retirement role model".

I never saw myself retiring fully. My mom's been fully, early retired from GM for near 30 years (RPD) . Aint done her no good. Seriously. Dad died at 47 ( 1976), working at Delco. He never had a chance.

Doing what I do , I am constrained from being "greedy" as Mike says, but other than relinquishing the yoke of responsibility one day, I still need to "buy more freedom" if I'm going to enjoy a retirement with projects and motive. Cant just play golf everyday. it would kill me inside. And even trading one's own portfolio isn't enough.

Hey Hank, I **WAS** thinking of running for office! seriously! As a Whig, not a damn ass or pachyderm. But wifey wont let me, and my "NCO french" would go over like a lead balloon. politics can't handle masters of reality anyhow, its all superficiality. I cant do superficial lies. Therefore we may be doomed.

DUDE.... get two/three turns in office and double your SS payments with a gov't pension! No bullets, no watches, no patrols.

Honestly, I THINK ALL GOOD CITIZENS OUGHT CONSIDER THIS! The ruling elites are eating our lunch. Maybe time WE The Folks, take it back and share it amongst ourselves.

So there's my spin Hank... dont retire and sit on your laurels my fellow Americans, run for office, do some good... take the system back, and pad your SS payments with some pension credits. Take the ENTITLEMENT BACK FROM THE ENTITLED and let's run this Republic as all those white boys ( NOT ROYALS!) with guns dreamed of.

Retirement while trying to "wright" our Republic.

Yeah, wifey hasn't bought it yet either!
HKalin and Nothingbut69 like this.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #41 of 79 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 20, 3:49 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Beth

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by grr456 View Post
I'll be 69 next week and I still work. I am an engineer and still design all types of special machinery. I do like my work and it keeps me busy.

I've been working 4 days a week for the past couple of years. I would just sit around the house and do nothing, if I was fully retired......

Just my .02.......grr
I think if you like your job, keep at it as long as you enjoy it. I'm able to save a ton right now; no dependents !

I plan on working to at least 72. I am very lucky right now as I have zero health problems (I'm 66), joints don't hurt, etc.

IMHO there is nothing worse than living from hand to mouth and struggling financially. It's a terrible way to live.
427L88, 69SHEVL and Nothingbut69 like this.

67 Chevelle convertible, 138 vin, original 4 speed, bucket seats, Marina Blue with black interior
post #42 of 79 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 20, 3:55 PM
Gold Member
Gene

From another point of view.... seems I 've heard something akin to this before Hank! ( I cut my teeth on this strain of rock, and somehow the lyrics are stuck in my head, like a religion)

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #43 of 79 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 20, 3:57 PM
Senior Tech Team
Tim

Talking Re: Life's Too Short To Just Work It Away

What is this "retired" you speak of?

427L88, HKalin, rlowe and 1 others like this.

post #44 of 79 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 20, 5:05 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427L88 View Post
Doing what I do , I am constrained from being "greedy" as Mike says, but other than relinquishing the yoke of responsibility one day, I still need to "buy more freedom" if I'm going to enjoy a retirement with projects and motive. Cant just play golf everyday. it would kill me inside. And even trading one's own portfolio isn't enough.
"Greedy" was a poor choice of a word.

"Ambitious" is better, because I like to buy stuff, pick up the check for lunch or dinner for the table of my car buddies,

and be somewhat generous to those in need.
DUKE 69, 427L88, HKalin and 1 others like this.

Mike

My

AACA Senior Grand National
Good Guys Muscle Car of the Year Finalist

Eckler's Winternationals Platinum 1000 pts
2016 Midwest Chevelle Regional 1000 Point Award

NPD Choice Award All GM Oktoberfest
6 times Concours d'Elegance Best in Class

MCC Platinum & 2 times People's Choice Award & Carolina Chevelle Club Best in Show

2016 Midwest Chevelle Regional "Dean Call Award"
2015 OPGI Original Restored Award

MCACN Gold
post #45 of 79 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 20, 5:47 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
JOHN

Those of you that retired early , what do you do for Insurance , I have to be covered until I turn 65 , Im 57 now . I plan to draw my Late Wife's Social Security at age 60 and put it away and draw my own at 70 . I plan to work as long as Im physically able , whatever age that is to have insurance .
427L88 and 69SHEVL like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in