Static electricity and TV issue - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

2Likes
  • 2 Post By Mike

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 20, 1:22 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Pete

Static electricity and TV issue

Weird situation. If I'm close to my TV, not necessarily touching it and a static electricity spark goes off the TV screen goes blank and then comes back on. This is a new LG TV hanging on the wall and plugged into a grounded outlet. Last night I was putting a screw in the wall got close to black pipe running on the ceiling, spark, TV screen went blank and then came back on. This has happened several times in the past month. We do have a humidifier running is the room too. Any ideas on how to prevent this? Can't be good for the TV and don't want to have to replace it.

Member# 1097
1970 Chevelle 350cu w/ th350, 750 edel carb, perform intake and lopey cam of unknown specs which produces low vacuum 7-9", otherwise stock motor.
67 std Camaro conv, 1978 Corvette, 03 Silverado, 13 Sonata Hybrid

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 20, 1:42 PM
Tech Team

Re: Static electricity and TV issue

Touch something else to relieve the static buildup first. That happens to me every year up in my room. I always touch the metal smoke stack tube first before I touch any electronics. Back in the early 80's we would take out PCM's like that when we all would wear new shoes, ZAP them. The manager hated us.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 20, 1:52 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Chevele View Post
Touch something else to relieve the static buildup first. That happens to me every year up in my room. I always touch the metal smoke stack tube first before I touch any electronics. Back in the early 80's we would take out PCM's like that when we all would wear new shoes, ZAP them. The manager hated us.
I didn't touch the TV. I touched a black pipe on the ceiling that is about 4' from the TV. If memory serves me right one time I touched a metal fireplace screen I was removing to put wood on the fire and it blanked out. That was 8' or so away. Just plain weird. I understand if I directly touch the TV but.....

Member# 1097
1970 Chevelle 350cu w/ th350, 750 edel carb, perform intake and lopey cam of unknown specs which produces low vacuum 7-9", otherwise stock motor.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 20, 1:57 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
& Administrator

Sounds like a grounding issue in the electric circuit.
Could be the outlet the tv's plugged into.
Might try grounding the pipe to see if that helps as a temp measure.

Don't know how comfortable you are with checking in the breaker box.
64elkynss and shovelrick like this.

Last edited by Mike; Jan 17th, 20 at 2:32 PM.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 20, 4:23 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Sounds like a grounding issue in the electric circuit.
Could be the outlet the tv's plugged into.
Might try grounding the pipe to see if that helps as a temp measure.

Don't know how comfortable you are with checking in the breaker box.
What do I look for in the box? If I recall both my neutral and ground occupy the same buss bar. House was built and professionally wired in 1989.

Member# 1097

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 20, 5:13 PM
Super Mod
Mr Bill

Can you duplicate the conditions to make it happen ? If so put a piece of electrical tape over the remote control receive "eye" on the tv and see what happens.

Also make certain that the coax cable is grounded properly. You might have to even have your cable supplier check that. I know our outside box has a ground connection to the ground rod for our electric service.

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
1984 Buick Riviera - original owner (Wife's car)
Team Chevelle #100
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 20, 7:37 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillK View Post
Can you duplicate the conditions to make it happen ? If so put a piece of electrical tape over the remote control receive "eye" on the tv and see what happens.

Also make certain that the coax cable is grounded properly. You might have to even have your cable supplier check that. I know our outside box has a ground connection to the ground rod for our electric service.
I've seen where people have taken shortcuts and grounded phone and cable systems to the plumbing!

But, that wouldn't explain why any static discharge was causing the TV to blank - especially something like the fire place screen which isn't part of any electrical ground.

2017 SS
1972 El Camino Custom
2005 SSR 6-speed
1999 Silverado
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 20, 7:50 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1dc View Post
This is a new LG TV hanging on the wall and plugged into a grounded outlet.
Maybe you just have a defective TV ...
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 20, 9:50 PM
Tech Team
Dan

Garage
Raise the humidity. I noticed i can make the led light bulbs flash in the ceiling fan if i turn it on by using the pull chain. I think the humidity is around 25% when it happens. My house is hardly ever that dry, since it now rains every other day and its normally around 40%.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 20, 9:55 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage

A code requirement here in Fl. when you upgrade an electrical panel is to add a special separate ground bar next to the electric service meter or panel if it's located outside for TV & cable grounding, I don't remember the name of this part since we don't do electrical work anymore since my friend that was the elec. lic. holder passed but I'm sure you could go to a local home depot or similar and ask, it Might cure the problem because to me it does sound like a grounding problem, and like already said make sure the receptacle it's plugged into is grounded, I also use Monster boxes on my sets

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 20, 10:56 AM
Super Mod
Mr Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSR71 View Post
But, that wouldn't explain why any static discharge was causing the TV to blank - especially something like the fire place screen which isn't part of any electrical ground.

That's why I suggested blanking off the remote receiver. A spark could possibly be generating some infrared radiation and that is what most remotes use. It was just a thought.

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
1984 Buick Riviera - original owner (Wife's car)
Team Chevelle #100
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 20, 12:02 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillK View Post
That's why I suggested blanking off the remote receiver. A spark could possibly be generating some infrared radiation and that is what most remotes use. It was just a thought.
And it's not as crazy as it sounds either. My stepfather had a special type of CFL bulb he put in a post lamp that was supposed to make reading a lot easier on the eyes. Turned out that when it was on, infrared remotes wouldn't work at all.

2017 SS
1972 El Camino Custom
2005 SSR 6-speed
1999 Silverado
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 20, 12:08 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Kevin

This reminds me of a funny incident from long ago.

Back when I was young and still at home, we had quite a few cats. A few of them had this habit of jumping on the TV table and walking in front of the screen. This would be the '80s, so no LCD flat screens back then. Trying to "shoo" the cats away was totally useless. So, my dad just resorted to momentarily turning the TV off , then back on, which caused the screen to release a lot of static. The cat sure felt that and would jump down to get away. After a few times, some of them learned to stop doing that.

2017 SS
1972 El Camino Custom
2005 SSR 6-speed
1999 Silverado
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in