See FCA's 9 Speed Automatics Being Assembled... - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By HKalin

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 20, 9:18 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage
See FCA's 9 Speed Automatics Being Assembled...

With how exacting everything seems to be during assembly, it is a wonder that things like this fail sometimes.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...factory-video/

1971 Malibu, factory buckets/full gauges/console, 377 roller cammed small block, Turbo 400, 3.42 10 bolt posi (Buick), - All your base are belong to us.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Chevelle w/ open headers:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Chevelle w/ 2.5 pipes + X crossover/18 inch glass packs:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 20, 12:40 AM
TKG
Tech Team
Terry

Re: See FCA's 9 Speed Automatics Being Assembled...

I can just see it, in 40 years the restorers are going to be sweating trying to get the blue pin marks at the last station right.

TKG
64 Malibu Coupe
283, Fitech
2004r, 4w discs
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 20, 4:14 AM
Senior Tech Team
Hank

Garage

Being a Toolmaker all my life it's amazing to see all the work that has to go into the tooling for all of this to happen.
David Bates likes this.

71 Malibu, Cottonwood Green, 396 BBC, AutoGear M22W 4 speed, 12 bolt 3:55 posi.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 20, 6:11 PM
Tech Team
grr

I worked on and designed quite a few of those work stations. Mostly the automatic stations for bearing presses. Guiding the clutch/gear assemblies was pretty challenging. Part of the tooling needs to float and part needs to be fixed when guiding everything into place....

grr
Build Thread

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 20, 9:23 PM
Team Member
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by grr456 View Post
I worked on and designed quite a few of those work stations. Mostly the automatic stations for bearing presses. Guiding the clutch/gear assemblies was pretty challenging. Part of the tooling needs to float and part needs to be fixed when guiding everything into place....
We must work in the same industry I'm a PLC guy. I've programmed auto stations for engine, transmission, and axle plants. Mostly Ford, but some others too. Never Chrysler, so it was interesting to see how they do things similar, but different.

My "favorite" station to program was the key-up stations that would install the retainers and keys into cylinder heads. The one station had 2 key-up stands. Each with a retainer feeder and key feeder, to orient and blow feed the parts. A robot loaded heads with valves and springs into the stands, and unloaded the keyed up heads. Pretty complex mechanically, and a challenge to program. But it was sweet to watch in action when it was done!

And btw, when I read you work on bearing press stations, the first 2 words that came to my mind.....Tox, and Promess. Hehe
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 20, 9:42 PM
Tech Team
grr

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulb122 View Post
And btw, when I read you work on bearing press stations, the first 2 words that came to my mind.....Tox, and Promess. Hehe
Yep, used both of them! I was at Thyssen-Krupp working on the 9 speed stuff. We also did the GM/Ford 8 speed.

I am now at a company called Acme. We do mostly aviation work - Machining airfoils, etc.

grr

grr
Build Thread

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 20, 11:00 PM
Team Member
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by grr456 View Post
Yep, used both of them! I was at Thyssen-Krupp working on the 9 speed stuff. We also did the GM/Ford 8 speed.
Wow, small planet. We've probably met...
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 20, 12:08 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Maybe FCA should apply this build quality to their differentials. lol

'66 SS Chevelle
565 BBC Mamofied 300cc Ovals
4.11 12 bolt
Best e.t. to date [email protected] @115.31
1.301 60' 3355 pbr 1.306 3055S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in