Bullitt Mustang Sells For $3.74 Million... - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 20, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage
Bullitt Mustang Sells For $3.74 Million...

How stupid can people be? This is a run of the mill Mustang that is not even worth $20,000. But because it has the name of a celebrity attached to it, it sells for a ridiculous amount of money. Completely stupid. The hammer actually came down at $3.4 million (I presume that the extra is from the buyer's premium).

https://jalopnik.com/the-mustang-fro...t-a-1840937700
1966_L78, von, blm and 1 others like this.

1971 Malibu, factory buckets/full gauges/console, 377 roller cammed small block, Turbo 400, 3.42 10 bolt posi (Buick), - All your base are belong to us.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Chevelle w/ open headers:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Chevelle w/ 2.5 pipes + X crossover/18 inch glass packs:

Last edited by Dean; Jan 12th, 20 at 10:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 20, 10:55 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage
Re: Bullitt Mustang Sells For $3.74 Million...

Moved thread back to Bench Racing.
HKalin likes this.

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 20, 7:33 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakkoWarner View Post
How stupid can people be? This is a run of the mill Mustang that is not even worth $20,000. But because it has the name of a celebrity attached to it, it sells for a ridiculous amount of money. Completely stupid. The hammer actually came down at $3.4 million (I presume that the extra is from the buyer's premium).

Wonder who bought it?

My guess, is that it was only bought for speculation, and we see or hear about it being offered again soon...

IMO, even if this car was sealed in plastic with Steve McQueen's sweat still on the vinyl seats, it still isn't really worth that much... In its current condition, my guess would be around $100k-$200k for someone that truly wanted it for its historical provenance...

If it was a keeper, I'd rather have a nice recreation...

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

Sold

Sold

&

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 20, 2:29 PM
Senior Tech Team
Fat Stig

Quote:

Yeah, but that IS an iconic movie, and there is only one. Steve McQueen collectibles are huge and this is probably the ultimate Steve McQueen collectible.

SO, I guess if you have that kind of money to burn, why not?
Derek69SS likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpete, Dean, Derek69SS, hoffbug, rubadub, Grandsport, Thomas Jefferson, 1badss396, MEJ1990TM, and mrdjc99
As usual, Andy is right
If it doesn't fit, force it. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyway.

I have to keep reminding myself this isn't a Z16 convertible, Evening Orchid Camaro, or factory 1966 SS427 and get on with it.

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 20, 2:44 PM
Senior Tech Team
jerry

In a couple weeks you'll see a superbowl ad paid for by Mike Bloomberg. It'll be the same money and he'll have 0 to show for it in November. Now which makes more sense?
mr 4 speed and 71350SS like this.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 20, 2:50 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy69 View Post
Yeah, but that IS an iconic movie, and there is only one. Steve McQueen collectibles are huge and this is probably the ultimate Steve McQueen collectible.

SO, I guess if you have that kind of money to burn, why not?
I personally didn't think the movie was all that great. Steve McQueen also wasn't a great actor. The value on that car is artificial (just like other car values and home values). I will be very surprised if that car ever sells for that much again (provided they decide to sell it).
HKalin, TerryAT and boyd66k20 like this.

1971 Malibu, factory buckets/full gauges/console, 377 roller cammed small block, Turbo 400, 3.42 10 bolt posi (Buick), - All your base are belong to us.

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 20, 2:51 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheveslakr View Post
In a couple weeks you'll see a superbowl ad paid for by Mike Bloomberg. It'll be the same money and he'll have 0 to show for it in November. Now which makes more sense?
Neither one. Artificial value on that car, and Bloomberg is scum.

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 20, 3:55 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

I for one could care less what someone else does with their money. Kudos to the buyer, I hope he enjoys the heck out of it, whatever his plans are. And I hope the seller enjoys his new found money.
Derek69SS, HKalin and 12stones like this.

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 20, 5:19 PM
Senior Tech Team
Claude

Quote:

X2 I agree 100% with you, totally stupid. It's just an old banged up '68 Mustang that like you said isn't worth more than $20k the way it is right now. once restored, it would certainly be worth more but to me at least, who cares if Steve McQueen sat in it and drove it well not me.

Claude.
HKalin, TerryAT and Molly's 70 like this.

1971 Chevelle SS
1987 Buick Grand National 9.48 @ 142 mph
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 20, 5:21 PM
Senior Tech Team
"The Stig"

There are people out there that make that in a couple weeks.

Some people have paid a lot more for a lot less. Hell, someone spent $300 Million on some ugly painting I never heard of, by an artist who apparently has the abilities of a toddler.

Dean likes this.

Derek Kiefer, member of Minnesota's

-
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 20, 5:28 PM
Senior Tech Team
jerry

Someone bought an overripe banana duct taped to the wall for $120k recently. The cool thing, money changes hands and some of it filters into the tax system....less for me to pay???
Derek69SS and HKalin like this.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 20, 5:49 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

I also could not care less what one does with their money. Some sports stars could pay for that car with a one week paycheck. That is an iconic car chase scene although the movie itself is not that great.
That being said the fact that Steve McQueen drove THAT car in Bullet means very little to me. It might and should have meant something to Steve. Unless Steve is going to come back from the dead and come over to my house and detail it whenever needed and bring some of his fine ladies with him then I see no reason to pay up for that car. Some folks put too much credence in celebrities are something special. They are just regular folks that develope a skill that some find irresistible. Matter of fact some of them are not all that special except in their own minds.
HKalin and 1972SSstroker like this.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 20, 5:49 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Garage
Send a message via AIM to BlueSS454

I looked at the car when it was in Chicago at MCACN. It's cool and all but it's a rusty hacked up POS.
DUKE 69 and HKalin like this.

Tom Rightler, MCC VP & Newsletter Editor

Best ET: [email protected] MPH

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 20, 7:32 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr 4 speed View Post
I for one could care less what someone else does with their money. Kudos to the buyer, I hope he enjoys the heck out of it, whatever his plans are. And I hope the seller enjoys his new found money.
If it's still the same guy who's Father had it and stored it in his garage then it's some guy from NJ.That guy's Father had a letter from S McQueen that said Steve asked him for the car for history's sake because he had all his other movie cars.But Steve McQueen (or his agent acting for him) never offered the kind of money that a celebrity's car would bring but that isn't why the previous owner wouldn't sell.Seems that the NJ guy and his family used it and they had a history with it too.
There is an interview somewhere on the net with the owner who just sold that car talks about how desperate that SM was for that car as it was the only one of his movie cars that he couldn't find and/or buy.
Seems like even Stevie M (that's hollywood talk) knew that those cars would be worth the big money once he bit the bullitt,so to speak.
HKalin likes this.

John
71 El Camino SS
406 SBC M21 3.31 12 bolt
"Quality is always remembered,long after the price is forgotten"
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 20, 12:50 PM
Senior Tech Team
Fat Stig

Quote:
I personally didn't think the movie was all that great. Steve McQueen also wasn't a great actor. The value on that car is artificial (just like other car values and home values). I will be very surprised if that car ever sells for that much again (provided they decide to sell it).
Maybe, maybe not, but the movie is still iconic, the car is iconic, and Steve McQueen stuff is big.

It's hard to put a value on something like this, and what drives the potential value higher is the fact that rich car guys, movie collectors, and Steve McQueen collectors would all be interested. Movie and celebrity related stuff, especially original movie props, can bring huge money. It doesn't surprise me at all that someone would pay that much for this car, and it wasn't necessarily a car guy that bought it. I suspect we won't see it for sale again for a very long time, if ever.
Derek69SS and 70montee like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpete, Dean, Derek69SS, hoffbug, rubadub, Grandsport, Thomas Jefferson, 1badss396, MEJ1990TM, and mrdjc99
As usual, Andy is right
If it doesn't fit, force it. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyway.

I have to keep reminding myself this isn't a Z16 convertible, Evening Orchid Camaro, or factory 1966 SS427 and get on with it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in