One Guy, 2 Trucks, 1.5 Million Miles... - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

9Likes
  • 1 Post By WakkoWarner
  • 1 Post By busterwivell
  • 1 Post By Rick Dorion
  • 4 Post By Pioneer4x4
  • 2 Post By paul bell
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Unread Jan 11th, 20, 5:30 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage
One Guy, 2 Trucks, 1.5 Million Miles...

I'd say that GM should offer this guy some money for his trucks.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...sierra-trucks/
badrad likes this.

1971 Malibu, factory buckets/full gauges/console, 377 roller cammed small block, Turbo 400, 3.42 10 bolt posi (Buick), - All your base are belong to us.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Chevelle w/ open headers:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Chevelle w/ 2.5 pipes + X crossover/18 inch glass packs:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Unread Jan 11th, 20, 5:38 PM
Senior Tech Team
jeff

Re: One Guy, 2 Trucks, 1.5 Million Miles...

Impressive.
And the way it should be also.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Unread Jan 12th, 20, 2:03 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jim

"If a car surpasses 150,000 or 200,000 miles it's considered impressive."

So sez Car and Driver?

HaHa; my '08 Corolla has 154,000+. I put another 900 miles on it yesterday. Drives like new. A few more...
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Unread Jan 12th, 20, 4:10 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bill

I'm over 293,000 on an '01 Tahoe on original 5.3 drivetrain. My Chevelle has 277,000, but different engine, 4 speed, and a bunch of other stuff.
HKalin likes this.

66 Malibu

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Unread Yesterday, 8:10 AM
Tech Team

Given maintenance and some attention, high mileage engines are not that rare in my experience. Our 'good car' has 167K. It's rust that usually is the cause of getting another vehicle.
Pioneer4x4 likes this.

69 RS camaro, 410, M22 Autogear, 4-speed , 8 pt rollbar - SOLD
68 camaro - SOLD
67 Bel Air - perfect floors, rockers, trunk. Here we go again!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Unread Yesterday, 9:23 AM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

My daughter's 2011 Cruze with 1.4 turbo has over 170K and looks and drives great. Keep oil in them, keep rust off, and just plain drive the hell out of them. Also, fix things as they happen, don't let the car have 15 problems that aren't worth fixing, then you treat it like a POS, and blame the car.

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Unread Yesterday, 9:30 AM
Dale

In 1990 I bought a new Silverado stepside and put 397,000 miles on it before I gave it to a grandson. He killed it.

Besides maintenance I had to replace the rear axle assy. Engine and 700r were never replaced.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Unread Yesterday, 9:34 AM
Senior Tech Team

My Ascender's 5.3 has 350,000 miles on it. It only had it's oil pump replaced. When I got it (at 270,000 miles) it had a lot of oil in the intake so I did the LS6 PCV upgrade and added an oil catch can, it gets a few ounces every 3,000 miles.

A good working PCV and cooling system and regular oil changes (I do it every 3,000 miles) with good oil and filters and any engine should run for man miles.
71350SS and shovelrick like this.

LS1tech.com supermoderator.
How may I help you?
1971 Monte Carlo SS454-496ci 600hp
1999 Trans Am-500hp
2003 Iszu Ascender XL Limited V8
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Unread Yesterday, 3:10 PM
Tech Team
Will

I think that is pretty impressive, but I also think that you can't compare those miles to anywhere close to the average driver or even the average driver that puts a lot of miles on a vehicle. I think that wear comes from both usage (miles), time sitting, and number of
run cycles. Trucks with that many miles are staying on (less cycles) and aren't sitting much. Also, I don't think his newer truck will be as trouble free as the older one, simply because of the emissions crap. I am not saying any of this to downplay his accomplishments. It still is pretty impressive. Probably more impressive is the engineering that keeps a light duty truck going for that many miles. If I were GM, I would buy the red one back and display it somewhere with the odometer reading "error"
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Unread Today, 9:02 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelchevelle View Post
I think that is pretty impressive, but I also think that you can't compare those miles to anywhere close to the average driver or even the average driver that puts a lot of miles on a vehicle. I think that wear comes from both usage (miles), time sitting, and number of
run cycles. Trucks with that many miles are staying on (less cycles) and aren't sitting much. Also, I don't think his newer truck will be as trouble free as the older one, simply because of the emissions crap. I am not saying any of this to downplay his accomplishments. It still is pretty impressive. Probably more impressive is the engineering that keeps a light duty truck going for that many miles. If I were GM, I would buy the red one back and display it somewhere with the odometer reading "error"
It's impressive, but not really that incredible. If you're driving back and forth across the country for a living, it's not hard to put that kind of miles on a vehicle in a hurry - and it's not just mileage that kills a vehicle. Time, road conditions, weather, and driver abuse all take their tool too. I'd wager his 2007 with 1 million miles is in better condition than my '99 with "only" 236K. Even though it's also going to have twice the run hours than my truck (my truck is at 8300ish). In order to pull in 1 mill, you'd have to run a minimum of 17 to 18000 hours if you're at any semblance of the legal posted speeds (to account for all the idle/stop/start times). If my truck had done nothing but highway miles from the day I bought it, it'd probably never have grenaded the rear axle, gone through scores of tie rods and upper ball joints and a steering rack. My poor truck has had to deal with DC traffic and crappy road conditions for pretty much its entire life. The bulk of those 236K miles were put on commuting to work!

I have a friend that has a Dodge Dakota with over 400K miles on it. He's retired it as his "farm truck" now. But living in southern Texas (south of San Antonio) and working as an insurance adjuster, he had to drive far and wide every day, so those miles added up quick. The dry climate just ensured that the body and chassis wouldn't literally rust out from underneath you unlike we unfortunate folks up north here.

2017 SS
1972 El Camino Custom
2005 SSR 6-speed
1999 Silverado
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Unread Today, 9:15 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Kevin

So, I'll post this as a counter point. Here's a few more articles on vehicles that made the 1 mil mark:

https://www.popularmechanics.com/car...st-lived-cars/
https://www.motorbiscuit.com/going-t...gone-1m-miles/

I see in another article, a Tundra owner that passed 1 mil was given a new truck by Toyota so they could have the older one back for research purposes.
https://www.autoblog.com/2016/05/16/...mile-official/

So... if GM were smart (they're not), they would give this guy a new truck outright so they could dissect the red one to see what held up and what didn't.

2017 SS
1972 El Camino Custom
2005 SSR 6-speed
1999 Silverado
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Unread Today, 10:32 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

I'll take a truck with 300,000 thou Southwest miles anyday over a truck with 100,000 that has been NYC and vicinity driven.
Where do you think the saying "has been" comes from anyway ?

John
71 El Camino SS
406 SBC M21 3.31 12 bolt
"Quality is always remembered,long after the price is forgotten"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in