My Local Sears Is Gone..... - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 20, 12:05 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Devin

Garage
My Local Sears Is Gone.....

Yes, I'm aware of their financial situation, and the only store in my area was on the list to get closed. Say what you want, but they were an American icon to me, always there. Yes, their tools turned to junk in recent years, but to drive by and see the empty store is disheartening.

Devin

Just an El Camino
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Son's build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My never-ending project:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 20, 12:23 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage
Re: My Local Sears Is Gone.....

We lost 3 out of 4 stores in my local area (that I can think of). The one remaining is pretty close to work, so its easy to pick stuff up...

Yeah, pretty much all my tools are Craftsman, but admittedly most are 25+ years old, although I have some cordless stuff that's about 10 years old... Can't find replacement batteries for the cordless stuff (except unknown brands), I wanted to pick up some extras before they went under… Got three rolling tool chests from them over the last 10 years too...

At least one of the local closed stores is actually being repurposed, but last time I looked, the other two were just empty shells...

Went by the local Ace hardware, and they still honor the lifetime guarantee on Craftsmen; got like 5 new Phillips screw drivers, new flat blade, a replacement 1/4" rachet and a few others things...

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

Sold

Sold

&

post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 20, 12:39 AM
Tech Team
Rich

Roseville store and Sunrise mall store in Citrus heights gone. I remember when going to Sears was a big deal when I was a kid in Riverside , Ca. I always bought Craftsman tools. Used to be really good quality. Things change. I wonder if you can still take back broken Craftsmen tools to Ace and whoever else sells them.// Just saw the above post. Guess you can still get replacement tools. good to know.
post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 20, 12:49 AM
Senior Tech Team
Lang

Garage

The Sears that is local to me, has been an almost empty shell off and on since the Northridge Earthquake. I was in there a couple of months ago, and frankly, I'm amazed they are still open. Its a 3 floor building, and they could have it all on one floor. The "Basement" which is where the tools are, looks like they already closed, with areas blocked off so you can't wander to far. Over the years I was working, Sears/Craftsman was my go to for everything. I made a lot of money using those tools and tool boxes. I think its really sad.
blue_69_malibu likes this.

Ideas are like children: there are none so wonderful as your own.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 20, 1:31 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

No tools at modern day Sears can't be had at Harbor Freight. Made in the same country. Sears has been a depressing experience for quite some time. Just a very poorly managed business.

'66 SS Chevelle
91 octane special
first day out
[email protected]
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 20, 6:55 AM
Senior Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to Jim Mac

sadly, sears and k mart is gone here too. I think we have 1 sears left. what used go be a american icon is has gone the way of Montgomery ward's, Woolworths woolco, (did they turn into walgreens?)
But todays generation looks at amazon as the new american icon in shopping. pretty much get anything you need delivered to your door cheaper and never having to leave your home! jim

Jim

70 chevelle, SS clone 454 4 speed
71 camaro. (owned since 1978!) 6-71 blown small block 400
66 chevelle 350 4 speed 3.55 12 bolt
66 el camino 350 th350 parts hauler
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 20, 7:17 AM
Gold Member
Gene

you can blame today's generation, or more aptly, the myopic money boys that took Sears over and didnt have a friggin' clue how to run a retailer. Eddie Lampert is a rich dumbfck. Rich dont mean brains anymore. I knew it was over when the money boys showed up.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 20, 7:43 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Mac View Post
sadly, sears and k mart is gone here too. I think we have 1 sears left. what used go be a american icon is has gone the way of Montgomery ward's, Woolworths woolco, (did they turn into walgreens?)
But todays generation looks at amazon as the new american icon in shopping. pretty much get anything you need delivered to your door cheaper and never having to leave your home! jim
Walmart has successfully stepped on the throat of Sear, K Mart, etc.

I wonder if Amazon will eventually do the same to Walmart?
71350SS and 68post like this.

Mike

My

AACA Senior Grand National
Good Guys Muscle Car of the Year Finalist

Eckler's Winternationals Platinum 1000 pts
2016 Midwest Chevelle Regional 1000 Point Award

NPD Choice Award All GM Oktoberfest
6 times Concours d'Elegance Best in Class

MCC Platinum & 2 times People's Choice Award & Carolina Chevelle Club Best in Show

2016 Midwest Chevelle Regional "Dean Call Award"
2015 OPGI Original Restored Award

MCACN Gold
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 20, 7:49 AM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966_L78 View Post
Can't find replacement batteries for the cordless stuff (except unknown brands).

There are vendors on Ebay that'll take your cordless tool battery and replace the cells in them, usually with better cells.
davewho1 and shovelrick like this.

LS1tech.com supermoderator.
How may I help you?
1971 Monte Carlo SS454-496ci 600hp
1999 Trans Am-500hp
2003 Iszu Ascender XL Limited V8
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 20, 8:16 AM
Senior Tech Team
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966_L78 View Post

Went by the local Ace hardware, and they still honor the lifetime guarantee on Craftsmen; got like 5 new Phillips screw drivers, new flat blade, a replacement 1/4" rachet and a few others things...
Our local Giant Eagle food store recently added an ACE Hardware. My first thought was "What the hell? How much can they possibly put in here?" To my surprise the store is unbelievable! They have everything Sears tool department would have ,plus more. The only thing I think they dont carry is lumber. My son recently was home from the Air Force and I even took him down to show him the large variety of things they have. Stuff from wheelbarrows to rolls of house wiring! The nice thing is the store is available 24hrs a day, so a late night project item needed doesnt have to wait until the next day. The prices are close to what our local Home Depot has, so again this is a plus for me. Ace is about a mile away, where HD is about 5 miles.
71350SS, 427L88, bikeron and 1 others like this.
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 20, 8:31 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jonathan

Our local Sears store is closing, going to be torn down and replaced by a new Publix. I like Publix! I haven't shopped at Sears in years, the store was so empty last time I was in there.

Two 72 Chevelle Malibus, both 350 2bbls one Placer Gold, one Midnight Bronze

Other cars:
2005 Pontiac Vibe
2005 Ford Excursion
2000 Dodge Durango
2003 Mercedes E320
2-2018 Ford Fusions
2013 Ford Fusion
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 20, 8:38 AM
Senior Tech Team
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69SHEVL View Post
I wonder if Amazon will eventually do the same to Walmart?
I thought the same thing until I went to the Walmart in Kissimmee 2 weeks ago.

That place was huge and you couldn`t even move they were so busy.
The cashier said they are that busy till 3:00 in the morning and they do over a million and half dollars a day.

post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 20, 9:00 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage

I'm not sure if there's any Sears left around me since I gave up on them a couple years ago, went to an Ace hardware yesterday looking for a Craftsmen 12 point deep well 1/2" drive socket and after explaining what I wanted to the girl 3 times the girl hands me a Channel lock version and the Craftsmen they did have were all made in China, went to Lowes (sell USA made Craftsmen) and you'd have to buy a complete set for $70+ so went to Home Depot and bought a Chinese Husky for $5, could've went to HF but sometimes you just get tired of driving around looking for something

post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 20, 9:20 AM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelrick View Post
I'm not sure if there's any Sears left around me since I gave up on them a couple years ago, went to an Ace hardware yesterday looking for a Craftsmen 12 point deep well 1/2" drive socket and after explaining what I wanted to the girl 3 times the girl hands me a Channel lock version and the Craftsmen they did have were all made in China, went to Lowes (sell USA made Craftsmen) and you'd have to buy a complete set for $70+ so went to Home Depot and bought a Chinese Husky for $5, could've went to HF but sometimes you just get tired of driving around looking for something
And that girl is probably making at least $12 / $13 an hour. With near zero product knowledge or life experience. Walked out of THD 20 months ago due to the sub floor wages. They simply do not pay for experience or product knowledge. Try to support the local smaller outlets, such as the small hardware stores, and the sutherlands and mc coys. No amazon will not supersede wal mart, how will they "ship" big stuff with out outrageous costs and the inevitable incidents and damage??
shovelrick likes this.
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 20, 9:23 AM
Senior Tech Team
Claude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevelle_Nut View Post
Our local Sears store is closing, going to be torn down and replaced by a new Publix. I like Publix!
Yeah I do go to "Publix" when in Florida too but I prefer "Winn-Dixie".

Claude.
shovelrick likes this.

1971 Chevelle SS
1987 Buick Grand National 9.48 @ 142 mph
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in