Cutting the cord.... - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 20, 1:34 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Gavin

Garage
Cutting the cord....

Mrs. ghaasl and I finally made the decision to get rid of cable television yesterday. We still have internet through the cable provider but are paying $140 less a month. We also took some other measures to rid ourselves of credit card debt. I guess that means more money for the Malibu
427L88, Molly's 70 and shovelrick like this.

My father tells me I was born 30 years too late.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 20, 2:28 PM
Senior Tech Team
Chris

Re: Cutting the cord....

We recently did the same thing. Got rid of cable. Still have the Motor Trend app for automotive content, Disney app for the kids and Netflix for general entertainment. Don't watch any sports, so cable really wasn't worth it. So far we don't miss cable at all. It's been gone for about 2 months.
shovelrick likes this.

1969 Beaumont
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1977 Bronco
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The rest are boring responsible adult vehicles not worth mentioning.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 20, 2:35 PM
Gold Founding Member

Garage

This is near and dear to my heart because I have two homes with internet and cable for both. Yes, I know itís ridiculous but thereís certain content and features that I must have. At the time it was easier to overpay, especially because it was only supposed to be temporary.

I wish there were a manual or primer on how to cut the cord, based upon the things you wanted to have.
shovelrick and IFLY like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Peterson
The motivation that drives the commission of the worst human atrocities is an inevitable social consequence of the refusal of the self conscience individual to make the sacrifices appropriate to establishing a harmonious life and their consequent degeneration into a kind of murderous and resentment filled rage propagating endlessly through its variations in society until everything comes to an end.
post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 20, 2:38 PM
Senior Tech Team
Vince

i always miss one or two cable stations when we downgrade;
they had internet priced so hi here that they included free basic cable for same price as w/o

can't seem to win;

68-Malibu 427bbc/t4oo/3.73-12bolt/pro charger f1-r
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 20, 2:40 PM
Senior Tech Team

Been about a month for me. Have the motor trend app and Netflix. So far, so good.

Tighten it till it strips and back it off a quarter turn.

70 (SOLD)

post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 20, 4:59 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ron

Netflix, Amazon Prime and Acorn. Amazon Fire TV with Antenna along with the Internet gives me all I need for about $20 per month. Been like this for a year now.
shovelrick likes this.

My car is here:

post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 20, 6:20 PM
Senior Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to Jim Mac

you can get tubi and Pluto tv for free , lots of older movies and shows netflix doesnt have for free. jim
VinceS427bb likes this.

Jim

70 chevelle, SS clone 454 4 speed
71 camaro. (owned since 1978!) 6-71 blown small block 400
66 chevelle 350 4 speed 3.55 12 bolt
66 el camino 350 th350 parts hauler
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 20, 6:39 PM
Senior Tech Team
Gary

No one needs tv period. Whatever you can get through the antenna is good enough. Its 90 percent commercials and **** anyway
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 20, 6:43 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jonathan

Welcome to the club! Look at a Roku, the ROKU Channel has a lot of good, free content.

Two 72 Chevelle Malibus, both 350 2bbls one Placer Gold, one Midnight Bronze

Other cars:
2005 Pontiac Vibe
2005 Ford Excursion
2000 Dodge Durango
2003 Mercedes E320
2-2018 Ford Fusions
2013 Ford Fusion
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 20, 7:06 PM
Tech Team
Dan

Garage
Been close to 2 years for me ditching cable. Works out well for me with 2 homes, and i have basically the lowest speed internet offered, and i have no issues streaming. Just make sure you dont have a cap on your internet. Att tv now, and prime is what i stream with a roku.
Anyone thinking of cutting the cord should sit down and write down what channels you watch, and then go match up those channels with whatever streaming service has the most of what you want.
For those that dont want any sports, philo is like $20 a month for 50 channels or so. A friend of mine works for comcast, and says the amount of people canceling cable every month is shocking.
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 20, 7:14 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jonathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70montee View Post
Been close to 2 years for me ditching cable. Works out well for me with 2 homes, and i have basically the lowest speed internet offered, and i have no issues streaming. Just make sure you dont have a cap on your internet. Att tv now, and prime is what i stream with a roku.
Anyone thinking of cutting the cord should sit down and write down what channels you watch, and then go match up those channels with whatever streaming service has the most of what you want.
For those that dont want any sports, philo is like $20 a month for 50 channels or so. A friend of mine works for comcast, and says the amount of people canceling cable every month is shocking.
Hulu, ESPN+ and Disney+ can be combined for $12 to $16 a month, not free but a bunch to watch.

Two 72 Chevelle Malibus, both 350 2bbls one Placer Gold, one Midnight Bronze

Other cars:
2005 Pontiac Vibe
2005 Ford Excursion
2000 Dodge Durango
2003 Mercedes E320
2-2018 Ford Fusions
2013 Ford Fusion
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 20, 9:33 PM
Tech Team

Wife loves her Roku since we got rid of cable.
427L88 likes this.
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 20, 10:21 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Shane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevelle_Nut View Post
Welcome to the club! Look at a Roku, the ROKU Channel has a lot of good, free content.
I let go of cable in 2014. Haven't looked back since.

Many of the channels you watch on cable have websites that will let you watch the same program, youtube also has the news, full length movies etc. I have a ROKU on every tv in my house. I do pay for the fastest internet they have but with all the TV's, tablets, pc's, phones all feeding off the signal, its worth it.

New oil is cheaper than new parts
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 20, 1:01 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Gavin

Garage

Really, the only thing Iíll miss is watching a ballgame (Twins), hockey game (Wild and U of M Gophers), or a car auction now and then. Fortunately, the neighbors have a bar in their garage and are sports crazy. And, I have the Ď68 in the garage if I want to see my favorite muscle car. Our HD antenna should be here on Tuesday for local content and free broadcast channels. As far as streaming content, we have Netflix, hulu, and Prime.

My father tells me I was born 30 years too late.
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 20, 3:27 PM
Tech Team
mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishhead View Post
I let go of cable in 2014. Haven't looked back since...
2012 for me. They give you a deal and lock you in. The price you lock in is for the service, not the box you have to rent. Funny how the rent on the box just kept climbing and climbing.

Now smart tvs on WiFi in every room with Netflix, Amazon prime, Fire sticks, and an antenna in the attic plugged into the house smart box that gets all the local channels. I don't miss cable at all!!!

1969 Chevelle
412 small block
M-20 4spd
4:10 12 bolt
Sold, went to Sweden

1957 Thundarbird Gasser
Aluminum Shafiroff 582
Richmond 6spd
4:33 59 Olds rear
Dads old race car
He bought it in 1967

1967 Camaro
355 small block
M21 4spd
4:88 12 bolt spool
40yr old drag car
barn find in south PHX AZ

Last edited by davewho1; Jan 7th, 20 at 6:09 AM. Reason: fixed quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in