70 tv under $1,000 - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 20, 8:53 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

70 tv under $1,000

Ok, my 10 year old 60 LG took a crap. Looking at 70-75 tvs but dont know crap about all of the letters & numbers.

Anyone got something you would recommend? Looks like they are all pretty much smart tvs now. That is fine as I am pretty much all streaming now.

Just looking for some real world feedback.

Tighten it till it strips and back it off a quarter turn.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

70 (SOLD)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 20, 9:06 PM
Tech Team
Drew

Tvs are cheap now.

I do know a lot of cable providers
Don’t offer Channels capable of
All the ultra 4K blah blah 8k capabilities.

I’d prob just hit up a Costco
And get the biggest name brand you can
For the max you want to spend and call it
A day.

Especially if you’re a streamer.

The technology moves so fast you can’t
Keep up with.
Molly's 70 likes this.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 20, 9:17 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Kevin

Re: 70 tv under $1,000

And stay away from Vizio. Don't let the cheap price tempt you. If it fails under warranty, it's quite likely they wont be able to fix it anyway.

Still lovin my Panny Plasma! Wish they still made them.
72SS454Chevelle likes this.

2017 SS
1972 El Camino Custom
2005 SSR 6-speed
1999 Silverado
post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 20, 9:49 PM
Steve

Love my LG but its only 65
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 20, 10:31 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage

The first thing you need to ask yourself is: Do I watch lots of movies/TV shows that have fast action scenes?? If the answer is yes, do NOT purchase ANY TV that does not have a NATIVE refresh rate of 120 Hz. If it says something like 120 Motion Rate, it is a 60 Hz set. You WILL see motion lag/ghosting/pixelation if you purchase a 60Hz set.

I purchased a Sony XBR-55X900E and have been very happy with it (the current model is the F series). I had a Panasonic plasma that was just awesome - excellent picture, outstanding color, and ZERO motion lag (plasma sets were 600 Hz, with like .001 ms response time). You will do well with a set from Sony or LG. You can also purchase a Vizio, but you need to get the M or P series (possibly the V series) - the others do not perform like they should. I personally do not like Samsung TVs.

The Sony will cost you a little more (my 55" was $1,000 about a year ago). If you decide to spend a little more and go with an OLED set, spend the money and get a Sony - they outperform the LG OLED sets in both picture quality and speed.

70" sets are kind of an outlier - most manufacturers go from 65" to 75".

Here is a 65" LG that is a true 120 Hz set: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-65-c...?skuId=6336396

Here is a 65: Sony that is a few hundred more than your price point: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-65...?skuId=6179726

This Vizio 65" should be a native 120 Hz TV: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/vizio-6...?skuId=6346168

Here is another LG 65": https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-65-c...?skuId=6339241

Here is a Samsung 75" that get decent reviews (but over your price point): https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung...?skuId=6331776

As always, check out the TVs locally if you can. Once you find a model or two that you like, do your research. Read reviews from at least 3 different sources. If you do that, you should end up with a TV that will last you quite a while, and will perform like it should.

1971 Malibu, factory buckets/full gauges/console, 377 roller cammed small block, Turbo 400, 3.42 10 bolt posi (Buick), - All your base are belong to us.

My Chevelle w/ open headers:

My Chevelle w/ 2.5 pipes + X crossover/18 inch glass packs:

post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 20, 10:49 PM
Senior Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to Jim Mac

we just got a lg at costco 75" for $899. it was on sale yesterday. seems fine for what we watch, and it's better than our 10 y o toshiba
LeoP likes this.

Jim

70 chevelle, SS clone 454 4 speed
71 camaro. (owned since 1978!) 6-71 blown small block 400
66 chevelle 350 4 speed 3.55 12 bolt
66 el camino 350 th350 parts hauler
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 20, 2:52 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Garage

When you start going that big, don't get cheap. Go with a better brand like Samsung, LG, Sony, etc. I went through three 65" Vizios in one day trying to get one that worked before I gave up. It sucks dragging one home, setting it up, and finding out it's NFG, dragging it back, and repeating the process. I love my LG, but I'm more of a movie guy, so I also have a 120" screen and projector. They were cheaper than the TV.

post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 20, 8:06 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Yea, my LG was plasma and loved it. Until it quit. I did notice in the last year or so that the flesh tones were flickering greeen.

70 (SOLD)

post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 20, 8:35 AM
Senior Tech Team
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSR71 View Post
And stay away from Vizio. Don't let the cheap price tempt you. If it fails under warranty, it's quite likely they wont be able to fix it anyway.

Still lovin my Panny Plasma! Wish they still made them.
Maybe the entry level (D Series?). I've got a M Series 65 a little over 5 years old that is still very good. I wanted to swap it out to a 75", not because it's broke, just because, my finance manager is not signing off on it though. Lol.

post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 20, 9:07 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage

About 6-8 months ago I seen a 65" Sony Bravia at Sams Club for $699, $850ish after added 3 yr. warranty/taxes it seems like a very nice smart TV but I wish I'd of spent the extra $ and bought an OLED, I'd go to a local Walmart, Sams, Costco and look at some different TV's and I have a 24" smart Vizio in the kitchen that's been fine for4-5 yrs but my daughter bought a 48" Vizio that only lasted until warranty was up, maybe 14 to 15 months, my wife likes our 10 yr old 55" non smart Sony Bravia better than the new one ?

post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 20, 9:44 AM
Senior Tech Team

Found some at Wallyworld:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	70.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	612594  

LS1tech.com supermoderator.
How may I help you?
1971 Monte Carlo SS454-496ci 600hp
1999 Trans Am-500hp
2003 Iszu Ascender XL Limited V8
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 20, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul bell View Post
Found some at Wallyworld:
I do know where to get them, just looking for some real world reviews.

70 (SOLD)

post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 20, 12:03 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Beth

Garage

Here's a great article.

OLED's are the best, but do you know who has the highest-rated 4K TV ? Not Samsung or LG but TCL (chinese) !

https://www.cnet.com/news/best-tvs-i...f-c7ab59761ffa

67 Chevelle convertible, 138 vin, original 4 speed, bucket seats, Marina Blue with black interior
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 20, 12:49 PM
Tech Team

This would be a good time to unplug the TV, not get another one, and start reading books, take up a new hobby, or even (gasp) start talking to family or friends.
davewho1 likes this.

'69 Butternut Yellow 396
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 20, 1:48 PM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashville beth View Post
Here's a great article.

OLED's are the best, but do you know who has the highest-rated 4K TV ? Not Samsung or LG but TCL (chinese) !

https://www.cnet.com/news/best-tvs-i...f-c7ab59761ffa
There are only 2 companies making an OLED tv, LG and Sony. The TCL tv is a QLED, not the same.

Your just jealous because you can't hear the voices!

1967 Olds Cutlass 468 BBC/T400
1963 Plymouth Fury 440/Torqueflite
2007 Ford Mustang GT (momma's car)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in