Trailblazer - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 19, 4:13 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Trailblazer

Who in the hell engineered this piece of crap! Or should i say over engineered this thing. Every time i to work on it, all i want to do is punch that s.o.b. right in the nose. Its a 2002. THIS time i have to replace the radiator. I have half the fron end pulled apart and still cant get it out. Looks like there is a plastic bracket that "hooks" under the ac condenser. Unfriggin real. Ford work truck has 4 bolts, 2 trans lines and 2 radiator hoses. Slids right out. I HATE working on this thing!!!!!!!!
68Chevele likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 19, 5:22 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage
Re: Trailblazer

Those vehicles are crap. My neighbor's son has one and it is always having issues. The engines are garbage and the build quality is a joke.
BossHogg69 likes this.

1971 Malibu, factory buckets/full gauges/console, 377 roller cammed small block, Turbo 400, 3.42 10 bolt posi (Buick), - All your base are belong to us.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Chevelle w/ open headers:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Chevelle w/ 2.5 pipes + X crossover/18 inch glass packs:

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 19, 5:28 PM
Senior Tech Team
Hank

Garage

We had a 2012 we bought new and had no problems with it at all. It was a V-6.

71 Malibu, Cottonwood Green, 396 BBC, AutoGear M22W 4 speed, 12 bolt 3:55 posi.
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 19, 6:02 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKalin View Post
We had a 2012 we bought new and had no problems with it at all. It was a V-6.
You mean v8? I don't recall trailblazers ever coming with v6s. I5 and I6 engines yes, then the 5.3L made its way in there.
HKalin likes this.

2017 SS
1972 El Camino Custom
2005 SSR 6-speed
1999 Silverado
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 19, 7:27 PM
Tech Team
Tyler

Yes, trailblazers are .............well I wouldn’t own one but I work on all makes every day and I would work on and own a GM long before anything else. Last night an 08 3.5 ford showed up with the water pump shot, 11 hours labor and it filled the crank case with coolant, junk. Try to find a TIPM for any newer Ram, can’t get them and there are only two kinds, those that have failed and the ones are about to. Lift to hood on any Duramax and any Powerstroke and tell me what one you want to work on. We do all of Fed-Ex up here and are forever putting front end parts on the F-250’s. All the manufacturers have built junk over time but when the Chargers loose wheel speed sensors and that puts the trans into limp one really starts to look at who’s building what. And yes, the GM 3.6 with the 6T70 trans will eventually cost every owner a ton of money unless the stars are lined up just for you! 😁
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 19, 8:20 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec1425 View Post
Who in the hell engineered this piece of crap! Or should i say over engineered this thing. Every time i to work on it, all i want to do is punch that s.o.b. right in the nose. Its a 2002. THIS time i have to replace the radiator. I have half the fron end pulled apart and still cant get it out. Looks like there is a plastic bracket that "hooks" under the ac condenser. Unfriggin real. Ford work truck has 4 bolts, 2 trans lines and 2 radiator hoses. Slids right out. I HATE working on this thing!!!!!!!!
My condolences to you sir. I had to work on those POS trucks when I was at Chevy and GMC and they do suck. Many a time the zone rep and field engineers got an earful from me on that junk.
LeoP likes this.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 19, 9:28 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I have found that to remove the fan clutch assembly, you need to remove the radiator first. If you need to remove the radiator, you need to remove the fan clutch first. Nice piece of engineering. Job justification maybe??
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 19, 9:56 PM
Tech Team

The fan clutch comes off with the fan with the clutch removal tools. Available at Autozone for free rental.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 19, 12:00 AM
Senior Tech Team
Hank

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSR71 View Post
You mean v8? I don't recall trailblazers ever coming with v6s. I5 and I6 engines yes, then the 5.3L made its way in there.
You know you may be right I was thinking of the 2012 Equinox we owned but we did have a Trailblazer too and both my wife and me thought it was one of the nicest SUV's we owned. Never had any problems with that either and to tell you the truth I don't remember what motor that had in it but it definitely wasn't a I5.

71 Malibu, Cottonwood Green, 396 BBC, AutoGear M22W 4 speed, 12 bolt 3:55 posi.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 19, 12:59 AM
Senior Tech Team

Yeah, the GMT360 trucks are a bitch. My 2003 Ascender has the 5.3.

The fan, fan shroud and radiator are impossible to dismantle.

Changing the rack? Good luck!

Need a starter? Remove a section of chassis and then you can ALMOST see the starter. Of course, the starter covers the crank sensor.

Front diff is bolted TO the oil pan, one shaft goes through the pan.

Mine needed an oil pump. Yep, I did it without dropping the pan. I stripped the front of the truck down enough that my face was an inch from the pan. And I installed the second bolt on the pump tube flange because I ain't doing that job again.

This truck has the original engine & rear, the trans was replaced. It's pushing 360,000 miles. Chassis rot? Sure, I'll weld some plates on it but I'm keeping it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stripped.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	610738  

LS1tech.com supermoderator.
How may I help you?
1971 Monte Carlo SS454-496ci 600hp
1999 Trans Am-500hp
2003 Iszu Ascender XL Limited V8
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 19, 5:53 AM
Tech Team
Tyler

When a powerstroke needs .........almost anything! 😄😄 In our neck of the woods the trailblazers are forever needing power steering and trans lines. Most people smoke the 3-4 clutches before they notice all the trans fluid running out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C6613D4D-ED8F-4141-8187-E02B3CDCA004_1576406831732.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	610740   Click image for larger version

Name:	238C15E1-80A2-48B4-BF05-1AC4AC75FAB1_1576407209406.png
Views:	31
Size:	490.8 KB
ID:	610742  
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 19, 10:04 AM
Tech Team
autumngold

Im going on 52 ,30 plus years ,and cant wait for my career in this joke of a industry to be over..Every updated model is getting worst to work on and they are still trying to reinvent the wheel.There is a huge shortage of techs everywhere cause young people have smartened up ,young people in the trade leave the first chance they get,the ones that stay can blame it on all the fumes they breath in.My rant for the day ,cheers.
mino65 likes this.

1970 ls-5 numbers matching
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 19, 5:43 PM
Gold Founding Member

Quote:
Mine needed an oil pump. Yep, I did it without dropping the pan. I stripped the front of the truck down enough that my face was an inch from the pan. And I installed the second bolt on the pump tube flange because I ain't doing that job again.
Had to do the exact same thing on my wife's 2006 Envoy Denali! Lots of fun!
paul bell likes this.

Nick P.
Team Chevelle Gold #36
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 19, 5:54 PM
Senior Tech Team

Left the stealership life in 2014. It's all about them making money and not YOU!. I don't miss it one bit. I don't even work on anybody cars or trucks anymore, just do some performance stuff for guys these days as that's what I enjoy doing now.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 19, 6:16 PM
von
Lifetime Founding Member
Von

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKalin View Post
You know you may be right I was thinking of the 2012 Equinox we owned but we did have a Trailblazer too and both my wife and me thought it was one of the nicest SUV's we owned. Never had any problems with that either and to tell you the truth I don't remember what motor that had in it but it definitely wasn't a I5.
Was your 2012 Equinox a 4 cyl? If so did it use oil. Ours did, about 3k to a quart (odo read 69k). Sold it this week though.
HKalin likes this.

von '69 Malibu Team Chevelle Member #15

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in