Another Wife Retiring - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

71Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 19, 4:46 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Hank

Garage
Another Wife Retiring

Well after 20 yrs. with State Farm my wife has decided to retire on 12/31/2019.
I know my wife really enjoyed her job and knowing how she is I just asked her if she was going to cry when she retires at the end of the month and it's time to leave. She just gave me a look and told me she already shed some tears when her boss called her into a meeting yesterday and they gave her a few retirement gifts. I guess her and me are kind of the same because when I retired I had tears in my eyes too but they were tears of joy.
77 cruiser, LeoP, davewho1 and 4 others like this.

71 Malibu, Cottonwood Green, 396 BBC, AutoGear M22W 4 speed, 12 bolt 3:55 posi.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 19, 4:48 PM
rkd
Team Member
Ron

Re: Another Wife Retiring

Mine retired from teaching in May. Its working.

I am following suit shortly in 20.

Seems to be great stuff.
HKalin likes this.

66 Malibu Coupe, home rebuilt 350. Took me 39 years to get her!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 19, 8:41 PM
Senior Tech Team
Duke

My wife has been retired for 4 yrs now...loves every minute of it. Her last day was on a Friday and I asked on Saturday how it was going...she said "just great, I love it!" Now she has her own "schedule" and events. Just wish the grandkids weren't so far away but...that means some roadtrips. I'm semi-retired (work half-days during the seek) and that suits me for now. Life is good!
HKalin and Kirk's67SS like this.
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 19, 9:13 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bill

Bonnie and I owned our own business, worked together every day, rode to work and back together every day, and retired a year and a half ago, after 31 and a half years in business...........merged our business with another and walked away. I was facing some extended recovery time from surgery and I figured 72 was old enough to retire.
I now know what people meant when they said they didn't know how they found time to work. Ever since we retired, I've been playing with cars, doing yard stuff (on 5 acres) and doing a little traveling. When retired, Bonnie told me to get the 56 Chevy on the road. 13,000 miles later, I'd say mission accomplished. The yard stuff is getting done. I find something to do every day. The toughest thing is remembering what day it is. There are weeks when we hardly every leave our property.
I still have plenty to keep me busy..........as I work on one project, I think of another to add to the list............but, it's all good.
64elkynss, jrs396, HKalin and 4 others like this.

66 Malibu

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 19, 9:24 PM
Tech Team

When I retired in 2014 I was a happy camper, the people at corporate could not understand that and told me I had 20 more good years to work. I told them "not on your stuff". If my wife retires she will sit around all day and watch TV like she does now in her free time. I don't say anything anymore and if that's what she wants to do, so be it. I have too many things to do just to sit all day and exercise is one of them, working on car is second.
HKalin and blue_69_malibu like this.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 19, 11:12 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
leo

Telling my boss I was retiring brought some tears. I really loved fixing broken mechanical things, esp automotive things,it was the daily stupidity that I don't miss. I've helped many folks with problems with their vehicles, but after 46 years in the business, counting the US Navy, it was time to retire. I still do our family vehicles, but that's not all that much. My wife retired a week later, all is good, that was in 2011!!
64elkynss, DUKE 69, HKalin and 1 others like this.

Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
A.C.E.S.#3731
progress has little to do with speed, but lots to do with direction

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 19, 12:26 AM
Senior Tech Team
Greg.

Garage

Retired in April 2006 at 54 yrs old after 32+ years at the same Employer with varying type Federal Government jobs

Still wake up at the same time every morning , just do not know which day of the week it is

Wife has another 7 yrs to go before she can retire at 65
LeoP and HKalin like this.

67 Chevelle Malibu SS Cdn
Born 283 / PG / A51
468/TH400 2,500 stall/ S60 3.70 Gs
Prev Best on M/T ET S/S #3454 street Tires/Dress 2018/05/20
60' = 1.664
1/8 = 7.532 et / 91 mph
1/4 = 11.814 et / 115 mph
NEW Best with 3,500+ Stall TC 2019/09/08
60' = 1.547
1/8 = 7.311 et / 91.76 mph
1/4 = 11.595 et / 114.28 mph

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 19, 1:18 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Hank

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterwivell View Post
Bonnie and I owned our own business, worked together every day, rode to work and back together every day, and retired a year and a half ago, after 31 and a half years in business...........merged our business with another and walked away. I was facing some extended recovery time from surgery and I figured 72 was old enough to retire.
I now know what people meant when they said they didn't know how they found time to work. Ever since we retired, I've been playing with cars, doing yard stuff (on 5 acres) and doing a little traveling. When retired, Bonnie told me to get the 56 Chevy on the road. 13,000 miles later, I'd say mission accomplished. The yard stuff is getting done. I find something to do every day. The toughest thing is remembering what day it is. There are weeks when we hardly every leave our property.
I still have plenty to keep me busy..........as I work on one project, I think of another to add to the list............but, it's all good.
I retired in January of 2013 and the part about remembering what day it is reminds me of when I went to the bank and they told me they were closed tomorrow because of the Holiday. I had to ask them what holiday it was.

71 Malibu, Cottonwood Green, 396 BBC, AutoGear M22W 4 speed, 12 bolt 3:55 posi.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 19, 6:08 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Garage

I know my wife would just LOVE to retire from our business.

Thing is, I can't see myself EVER retiring, just the way I am.

I just HAVE to get up and go someplace every single day or I'm climbing the walls.

Good thing I love my job.

It's Sunday morning at 5:12 AM, and I'm here at work.

Guess I'm institutionalized like the old guys at Shawshank.

Mike

My

AACA Senior Grand National
Good Guys Muscle Car of the Year Finalist

Eckler's Winternationals Platinum 1000 pts
2016 Midwest Chevelle Regional 1000 Point Award

NPD Choice Award All GM Oktoberfest
6 times Concours d'Elegance Best in Class

MCC Platinum & 2 times People's Choice Award & Carolina Chevelle Club Best in Show

2016 Midwest Chevelle Regional "Dean Call Award"
2015 OPGI Original Restored Award

MCACN Gold
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 19, 6:31 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
John

Agreed, I love to get out of bed & get stuff done. Gives me a feeling of accomplishment. I like to work.

If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 19, 8:05 AM
Senior Tech Team
Dan Vasic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69SHEVL View Post
I know my wife would just LOVE to retire from our business.

Thing is, I can't see myself EVER retiring, just the way I am.

I just HAVE to get up and go someplace every single day or I'm climbing the walls.

Good thing I love my job.

It's Sunday morning at 5:12 AM, and I'm here at work.

Guess I'm institutionalized like the old guys at Shawshank.
Plus, I would never get any more Pictures of all your travels.....that would make me very upset.

Dan
HKalin likes this.

Owner of..... The 1969 SS396 300 Deluxe Post Sedan Registry
1969 300 Deluxe Post Sedan Frost Green
1969 SS396 300 Deluxe Post Sedan Lemans Blue (Sold to "69 Post Sedan")
1972 SS 502 T400 410 posi Mohave Gold
1970 Buick Skylark Post Sedan Gulfstream Blue
1970 Buick Skylark Post Sedan Burnished Saddle

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 19, 8:26 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bill

Yes, it's Sunday.........I think I'll clean up my Chevelle today. Yesterday, I helped a friend put a rebuilt 4L60E in his pickup. Tomorrow, maybe do some more yard work, or chop some firewood. See, I can stay busy, even if I'm not sure what day it is...........
LeoP, 68post, HKalin and 1 others like this.

66 Malibu

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 19, 9:37 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Ever since my wife retired and got caught up with her sleep, she's been a dream to live with. She's even been chasing me around! I'll work heard to keep it this way. No wonder those old timers didn't want there women working.. Those WWII/Depression era people were so smart..
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 19, 10:06 AM
Tech Team
Gavin

Garage

All this talk of retirement and I have at least 21 more years to go, unless they push the early out age passed 62. At that age, my wife will still be 55 and have 12 more years left.
HKalin likes this.

My father tells me I was born 30 years too late.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 19, 10:09 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage

Congrats to your wife on her retirement my wife went to work for me as secretary when I opened my business 10 yrs. ago but I really think she just retired then because she just does what she wants, doesn't listen to me but always wants a raise lol

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in