Identity Stolen. Anyone Else? - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 19, 5:44 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Identity Stolen. Anyone Else?

About 6 weeks ago I get a call from someone claiming to be a representative of a credit card company that handles Rona credit cards. Rona is the Canadian version of Lowes, Home Depot etc. This person says I have a overdue payment on my Rona credit card, which I found kind of odd since I don't have a Rona credit card. I told the guy to f-off and hung up, thinking it was some kind of scam. Then I called the actual Rona credit and asked if this was a legit call. I was told yes it was and I owed $21,345 on my Rona credit card which I don't have. They asked if I still resided at the same address in Montreal. I have never been to Montreal. I live thousands of miles from Montreal. Well, it turns out someone in Montreal applied for 4 credit cards using my name in one day last August, and was only issued one, the Rona card, which they maxed out in 3 days buying easily sold items like appliances, tools, patio furniture etc. They even changed my home address to some P.O. box in Montreal to collect credit cards. The matter has been investigated and I have been assured I am in no way responsible for this BS. The card company told me these scams are usually an inside job at the store itself, as in those people who greet you at the door and try get you to sign up for a store credit card. The scammers have accomplices who apply for the cards, knowing full well they are not the person who's name they are using, then share in the items after they get the card approved. Obviously others at the store who ignore the fact that someone bought 21 grand worth of toasters and cordless drills in 3 days are in on it as well. These scams are pretty much all perpetrated by "newer Canadians". No surprise. I still have no idea how some a-hole in Montreal obtained my home address, email etc. I am very careful with my personal information. I have since put a block on any credit apps in my name and I have to be personally contacted before anything is issued. This scam has also affected my credit score until I get that straightened out as well, which is not a big deal since I have been debt free for over 15 years and have no need to ever borrow a nickel. but it still pisses me off.
Just wondering if any of you guys have ever had anything like this happen to you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 19, 6:00 PM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

Re: Identity Stolen. Anyone Else?

A few years back my wife had her credit card info stolen and someone was buying sex toys in Germany with it.
BMR Sales and Molly's 70 like this.

Your just jealous because you can't hear the voices!

1967 Olds Cutlass 468 BBC/T400
1963 Plymouth Fury 440/Torqueflite
2007 Ford Mustang GT (momma's car)
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 19, 6:10 PM
Team Member
Kevin

We had someone forge our company checks a while back. They bought about $3000 worth of electronics at Lowes and some bling from a local jewelry store. We got our money back but neither Lowes or the jeweler had any interest in looking at security cameras to see if they could ID anyone.
post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 19, 6:15 PM
Tech Team
Mike

A couple years ago someone got ahold of one of my credit card and tried to buy $900.00 worth of gift cards from some chicken franchise in south carolina.

Thieves will do anything to make a buck even if its selling off chicken gift cards for $.50 on the dollar.

15 years in Craft Brewing/ Distilling Industry
Lead Maintenance Mechanic
Submarine Service SSN 575 / SSN 683

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 19, 7:16 PM
Gold Member

I had a Visa card compromised a few years back. The guy was begging to be causght and failed to complete any transactions. I got calls left on my answering machine from the companies where he tried to use my card info. I called back. One was a Fedex office in California that was puzzled about why a guy with a card owned by someone in Tucson would be sending lots of packages of Nigerian bank notes. They told me the thief knew more about me than I did. Not sure how they got that idea. The other was a software company that said the thief was totally confused about the software but wanted to buy it anyway. Thanks to the 2 companies that smelled a bad deal, the thief got nothing.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 19, 7:17 PM
Senior Tech Team
Chris

Wife had a credit card for maybe 4 weeks when charges started showing up that weren't hers. They were all the same amount as what she spent at the same place, but double charged. Inside job anyone?

1969 Beaumont
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1977 Bronco

The rest are boring responsible adult vehicles not worth mentioning.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 19, 8:06 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bruce

Location: White Bear Lake, a northeast suburb of St. Paul, MinneSNOWta
Garage

With a little byte of computer sleuthing a bad person can find out a HUGE amount of data on most people. I'm talking Date of Birth, Mother's Maiden Name, home address, etc. -- all from "public" sources. About the only semi-hard thing is finding out your SSN, and that is doable.

That all adds up to ID Theft.

Take time to check your credit score (please use a real credit score provider, like your bank) and keep your data secure...

Check this carp out: https://www.mylife.com/ Check your name and city.

Our You Tube Vids:

post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 19, 8:12 PM
Tech Team

Garage

You can put a freeze on your credit, then unlock it if and when you want to finance something.
GSMCGSMC likes this.

66 SS-396/425 - M22 -3:73 -12 bolt
USN-SSBN 645-G
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 19, 8:25 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Kevin

Raising hand. Thanks to several large data breaches (Blue Cross and the Fed govt!), I'm now a commodity for the low-life aholes out there. Already had 2 attempts at opening fraudulent accounts and one attempt to hijack an existing card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyd66k20 View Post
You can put a freeze on your credit, then unlock it if and when you want to finance something.
DO this .... NOW! It's free, it can be lifted any time, you can even make temporary openings for specific vendors (on at least one of the 3 anyway). Once it's not possible to apply for anything, your stolen data becomes nearly useless.

Also, if you don't already, get your free annual credit report dumps and scour them closely. Check for any data that's incorrect (such as unauthorized changes of address).
NickeyChevelle likes this.

2017 SS
1972 El Camino Custom
2005 SSR 6-speed
1999 Silverado
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 19, 8:30 PM
Tech Team
Mike

one of the guys at work noticed strange sales on his card all minor sales. dollar here,, a dollar there etc. ,

he cancelled all his cards and got new ones, had to re do all his direct bill pays etc..

turned out it was his wife using a credit card on a new vending machine at work

15 years in Craft Brewing/ Distilling Industry
Lead Maintenance Mechanic
Submarine Service SSN 575 / SSN 683

post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 19, 8:35 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS427Rick View Post
I still have no idea how some a-hole in Montreal obtained my home address, email etc. I am very careful with my personal information.
All your information is out there for the taking unfortunately. Google your name and you'll see how prevalent it may be. You have to regularly go out to these data mining sites and request to have your info removed. It takes time but you can get some of it removed. Just google "how to remove your information from public records" and you can find sites that harbor personal data and you can usually request them to remove it. It's painstaking but that's the world we live in now...good luck !!

Here's a couple data broker sites you can start with...
InstantCheckmate: https://www.instantcheckmate.com/opt-out
Intelius: https://www.intelius.com/optout
FamilyTreeNow:: https://www.familytreenow.com/optout
Spokeo: https://www.spokeo.com/optout
NickeyChevelle likes this.
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 19, 8:56 PM
Tech Team
Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS427Rick View Post
About 6 weeks ago I get a call from someone claiming to be a representative of a credit card company that handles Rona credit cards. Rona is the Canadian version of Lowes, Home Depot etc. This person says I have a overdue payment on my Rona credit card, which I found kind of odd since I don't have a Rona credit card. I told the guy to f-off and hung up, thinking it was some kind of scam. Then I called the actual Rona credit and asked if this was a legit call. I was told yes it was and I owed $21,345 on my Rona credit card which I don't have. They asked if I still resided at the same address in Montreal. I have never been to Montreal. I live thousands of miles from Montreal. Well, it turns out someone in Montreal applied for 4 credit cards using my name in one day last August, and was only issued one, the Rona card, which they maxed out in 3 days buying easily sold items like appliances, tools, patio furniture etc. They even changed my home address to some P.O. box in Montreal to collect credit cards. The matter has been investigated and I have been assured I am in no way responsible for this BS. The card company told me these scams are usually an inside job at the store itself, as in those people who greet you at the door and try get you to sign up for a store credit card. The scammers have accomplices who apply for the cards, knowing full well they are not the person who's name they are using, then share in the items after they get the card approved. Obviously others at the store who ignore the fact that someone bought 21 grand worth of toasters and cordless drills in 3 days are in on it as well. These scams are pretty much all perpetrated by "newer Canadians". No surprise. I still have no idea how some a-hole in Montreal obtained my home address, email etc. I am very careful with my personal information. I have since put a block on any credit apps in my name and I have to be personally contacted before anything is issued. This scam has also affected my credit score until I get that straightened out as well, which is not a big deal since I have been debt free for over 15 years and have no need to ever borrow a nickel. but it still pisses me off.
Just wondering if any of you guys have ever had anything like this happen to you?
Pretty much can’t trust Quebecers, they are all looking for ways to continue to screw over western Canada.
SS427Rick likes this.

Life is too short for caring about every bodies else's stuff
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 19, 11:03 PM
Tech Team
Rob

Garage

I could be wrong or Im that old school about technology. But seems lately everyone is doing purchases with credit and debt cards. Even for minumal purchases like a coffee.

Before you had to insert or swipe whatever card your using , type in actual pin. Now you just tap or wave over the scanner. I would think thats a hackers dream.

Plus new thing I have been hearing , you can be standing in line somewhere and a scammer can walk by you with a scanner in there pocket picks up your card info. Seen lot people using there phones as well like a debt card.

Also all the online purchases people make, think about all the info you have to input for the type of purchase and shipping info. Now majority sites are pretty secure but you keep hearing of all these breaches.

Plus as mentioned in the posts inside job,, all it would take is a ticked off employee weather shipping department where they can access Name address etc....

Had my wallet lifted many years ago before all this technolgy all that was taken was the cash, cards and ID still intact. Some hotel called said someone found it they looked me up using phone book,, ya not google lol

cards were on hold when I knew it had been lifted so maybe they tried booking a rooom and it declined but I was lucky. I have a set limit on amount that can be purchased daily and if it reaches it or tries to go over I get a call and e-mail minutes within the purchase attempt. I even get notification if its somewhere new and not in history of purchases, usually they
say reset pin and or password
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 19, 11:18 PM
Senior Tech Team

When you use a card as a debit card, you need to input your PIN. This is one way unscrupulous people can get your info. Even with a debit card, you can choose to use it as "credit" and you won't need to enter your PIN code.

LS1tech.com supermoderator.
How may I help you?
1971 Monte Carlo SS454-496ci 600hp
1999 Trans Am-500hp
2003 Iszu Ascender XL Limited V8
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 19, 11:51 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyd66k20 View Post
How does one lock his credit? My bank or??? It sounds like a good idea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in