Man Killed by Remote-Started Car - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 19, 8:20 PM Thread Starter
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage
Man Killed by Remote-Started Car

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 19, 10:25 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Kevin

Re: Man Killed by Remote-Started Car

Ok.... something I either missed in the video or wasn't mentioned. Car was a 2002 model - so no factory auto start. And, that car might also be equipped with a manual trans. So, this was an aftermarket install --- no smart phone crap -- and the installer (or possibly the owner) didn't connect all of the safeties... assuming the system has them.

And how does one die from being crushed at the knees? Or was this character underneath the car and got crushed in the chest? And didn't his mommy teach him not to play between parked cars in the first place?

2017 SS
1972 El Camino Custom
2005 SSR 6-speed
1999 Silverado
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 19, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSR71 View Post
Ok.... something I either missed in the video or wasn't mentioned. Car was a 2002 model - so no factory auto start. And, that car might also be equipped with a manual trans. So, this was an aftermarket install --- no smart phone crap -- and the installer (or possibly the owner) didn't connect all of the safeties... assuming the system has them.

And how does one die from being crushed at the knees? Or was this character underneath the car and got crushed in the chest? And didn't his mommy teach him not to play between parked cars in the first place?
Maybe you should put the his in his comments section.

He had been inspecting one of the vehicles at the time of the accident, intending to buy it.

I would ASSUME since the car crushed him twice that maybe the first time he was crushed between two cars it may have at the knees which caused him to not be able to stand and the second time he was crushed, he wasn't standing.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-50756243

https://www.foxnews.com/us/new-jerse...s-remote-start

https://nyc.streetsblog.org/2019/12/...ne-is-driving/

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 19, 11:38 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage

That's sad for this poor kid. Ultimately the owner of the vehicle is responsible for any damages to property or person regardless of who was driving the car. I'm not sure if he can be charged with manslaughter. My guess is yes. The owner may have recourse against the installer if the device was not properly installed.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 19, 2:33 AM
Senior Tech Team
Lang

Garage

I have a neighbor with a small Dodge Pickup. It was not new when he got it, and had some questionable mods done on it. One of which was an "Alarm System", with Remote Start. Several times he went out to leave, and it was already running in the driveway. He said he never touched the "Alarm Fob". So some how it got set off just being in his pocket. When it got to the point that it was sitting out front running all night, he had the whole alarm removed ....problem solved. If the guy that got killed was crushed at the waist, its a good chance that one or both of his "Femoral Artery's" were damaged, in which case he probably just bled out.

Ideas are like children: there are none so wonderful as your own.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 19, 7:52 AM
Team Member
Tom

I use the ignition key in ALL my cars. including the riding law mower-----------which requires sitting in the seat and depressing the brake pedal.
71350SS likes this.

Tom Parsons
TC# 474
#3 FOREVER!!!!!
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak. (unknown)
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 19, 3:32 PM Thread Starter
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
The remote-controlled engine ignition system was an after-market addition to the car, as it was not offered as a feature by Lexus in 2002, a spokesperson for the company told Streetsblog after initial publication of this story
I wonder if someone might have installed the aftermarket kit on a stick shift car or one bypassing the neutral safety switch on an automatic car.

Quite a few vehicles are being stolen when left running so the police have been giving warnings and tickets in my city for it.

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 19, 11:20 AM
Senior Tech Team
"The Stig"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZAUTO View Post
I use the ignition key in ALL my cars. including the riding law mower-----------which requires sitting in the seat and depressing the brake pedal.
If you lived in a place where it gets to -40įF, you would look more favorably at remote start.
Bow_Tied likes this.

Derek Kiefer, member of Minnesota's

-
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 19, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

When I hear of cars that get stolen while running and unlocked, I say it didn't get stolen, they gave it away.

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 19, 12:51 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
When I hear of cars that get stolen while running and unlocked, I say it didn't get stolen, they gave it away.
Thatís not how remote start works.

Tighten it till it strips and back it off a quarter turn.

70 (SOLD)

post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 19, 1:12 PM Thread Starter
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage
Question Re: Man Killed by Remote-Started Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwhite00 View Post
Thatís not how remote start works.
Then how does it work and why are so many cars being stolen when left running?

The police said that car thieves are going around looking for unattended running cars, especially in colder weather.

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 19, 1:44 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

^^^ Lots of people without remote start just go out and start the car then let it warm up after they go back in the house.
When a remote start car is started the steering wheel is still locked on most older models but on newer cars with factory remotes you need the key fob to actually drive away.
Aftermarket installers won't add a remote start to manual trans cars around here don't know what is allowed in colder weather states.

John
71 El Camino SS
406 SBC M21 3.31 12 bolt
"Quality is always remembered,long after the price is forgotten"
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 19, 2:15 PM
Tech Team
Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek69SS View Post

If you lived in a place where it gets to -40įF, you would look more favorably at remote start.
That is the truth, I use mine every time, it is impossible to steal without the fob and as far as it moving in it’s own. That has to be some type of hillbilly “I” know better then the manufactures instructions installation. As usual there is more to the story then a five minute rambling pod cast is willing to share.
Bow_Tied likes this.

Life is too short for caring about every bodies else's stuff
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 19, 2:30 PM
Senior Tech Team
Lang

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
Then how does it work and why are so many cars being stolen when left running?

The police said that car thieves are going around looking for unattended running cars, especially in colder weather.
On my 2010 Malibu, the Remote Start using the Key Fob, required you to lock the car, and then press another button on the Fob within 10sec. The car would start and run for 10min. There was a procedure to give another 10min while it was running, but you had to catch it just right or it would not take. While the car was running in remote start, you cannot apply the brakes, put the car in gear, or turn the steering wheel. Same procedures for my 15 Silverado, except the extended run time is gone. The heat or air conditioning will come on depending on outside temperature.... Bottom Line....you might get a little comfort from the weather.....but your not going anywhere. The only way to get the car out of remote start while its running, is to insert the key, and turn it like you were going to start it. The starter is locked out so you can't accidentally engage it. But that's it in a nutshell. Once you start the car(turning off the remote start)everything goes back to how ever you previously left it. Radio comes on if it was on, heat or air comes on... Its strictly a convenience item if the weather is bad, or you need the car warmed up for a short trip.....otherwise its really got limited use potential....It wont turn on the Heated Seats, if that's one of the options in the car, so you still get a chilly reception. As for cars being stolen...."None" of the locking items listed above were present on the "Neighbors Truck" in my previous post....soooooo if you came upon it and he failed to lock it.....you would be happily on your way if the steering wheel would or was unlocked, or you could press the brake to put it in gear. I guess it all depends on the vehicle model and what the actual key in the ignition enabled.

Ideas are like children: there are none so wonderful as your own.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 19, 2:58 PM
Gold Member

I wonder if all those microphones on display behind him are ones he wore out in previous rambling videos. I have watched several of his videos and one thing he does not get is "concise". Too bad as he probably has some good info trying to get out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in