Team Chevelle banner

the new Ford Suburban

3K views 50 replies 26 participants last post by  Seven2bu 
#1 ·
#2 ·
#3 ·
If I were in the market for a vehicle like that and I was willing to part with the money it will take to drive one home I would consider it for sure. I don't find any of the styling cues offensive or necessarily "Ford" inspired.

Reactions: von
#6 ·
I agree, the new front ends look a lot like Ford, which has cured my desire of wanting to buy a new Chevy for a while.

Also... what's so wrong about "looking like a Ford"? :rolleyes:
Ford hasn't built a good looking truck since 1979.

#8 ·
So what? Ford has a work van that can't be told from a Nissan, unless you look at the name on the emblem.

#22 ·
I agree. Prices are out of control, on trucks especially. I bought my first new truck in 88. Cost was $16,500. Next one was a 2001, which I still own, for 35k. If I want one now, looking at 70k. At this rate, in 2030, we'll be paying 140k for a new one. Come on, I only paid 36k for my house, and it doesn't rust.

#12 ·
The big 3 have.destroyed the pick up truck. The prices are in the stratosphere, and they are ultra luxurious. Not made for hauling cargo which is their intended purpose. A pick up with an 8 ft bed has to be special ordered. The cabs are larger than the cargo box. The manual transmission is non existant.
Every other house in my development has a pickup truck and they are seldom if ever used to haul cargo.
Guess it's hard to look cool driving a mini van which is much better suited for the use that most pick up owners are using their vehicles.

#14 ·
The big 3 have.destroyed the pick up truck. The prices are in the stratosphere, and they are ultra luxurious. Not made for hauling cargo which is there intended purpose. A pick up with an 8 ft bed has to be special ordered. The cabs are larger than the cargo box.
Every other house in my development has a pickup truck and they are seldom if ever used to haul cargo.
"blm", I understand what you're saying… but… that's what is in demand so that's what the factories are making! :eek:
Personally, I do like the "ultra luxurious" new trucks and you can definitely can haul cargo with them.:yes: As for 8ft. beds, they're more popular for commercial use now and people prefer losing a foot of the truck's bed and have four doors, extra seating, etc… Like it or not, that's where the market (demand) is today.

Claude.

#13 ·
The 2021 model looks way better than the current one. It should ride a lot better, now that it will have independent rear suspension.

#20 ·
IRS is not the best design for towing.

The Excursion was the last SUV that was truly capable of towing and they still needed aftermarket modifications. Towing heavy requires tow vehicle weight. SUVs are not the best tow vehicles due to the short wheelbase of most and many are just overpriced station wagons.

I will keep my Excursion and let the subdivision soccer moms drive the Expeditions and Suburbans.

#15 ·
Today's trucks out-tow, out-haul, and out-perform the old ones in every way.

My only complaints are the price, and that they've gotten so tall I can't reach anything in the box without climbing inside to get it... and since 2019 models came out, the Chevy and GMC are both as ugly as the Fords now.

It's a sad day when the Ram is the best looking truck on the market.

Hopefully they get a facelift in 2-3 years.

#16 ·
Today's trucks out-tow, out-haul, and out-perform the old ones in every way.
I am not denying that. But the purpose of the pickup has shifted from hauling cargo to hauling people. I am also not denying that is what the market demands. The quantity of pick ups sold today is much greater than in the past. People routinely use them for commuter vehicles which was never the intended purpose. My neighbors do it daily.

#18 ·
It's a sad day when a dash cracks at 47k miles and GM says too bad you aren't covered under warranty. It's too bad when your window regulators die 3 times in 54k miles because they were grossly under engineered but GM kept spitting them out for 6 years. It is these chicken $hit little things which turn a future buyer off. I'll never get past these items on my 11 VERY LOW MILE SILVERADO.
These under engineered parts should never have been shipped out the door of the factory. It reminds me of a Yugo or the first year Hyundai or the debacle that was the disaster of an engine in the Vega.
Not likely I will ever buy a GMC or Silverado or Suburban or Tahoe because I know what they use for parts. Cheapest offshore crap they can source. Yet in 12 months after purchase the will offer you 10k off on last year's model. How about taking $250 of that 10k and choosing higher quality parts so your customer will buy again later? It's not like there aren't other choices out there.
And find a group from the public sector and ask for opinions before you choose a hideous design that nobody likes. Get some feedback first. Cars don't need 3 grilles and trucks don't need to look confused for no reason whatsoever. The 2019 Silverado is hideous.

#26 ·
^^^^ This has been.my experience as well except I put 6 window regulators on the drivers side and 4 on the passenger side. In addition the tailgate straps broke, went through 3 tailgate latches, the brake lines rotied out and failed while I was driving, the transmission lines rotted out, the fuel line rotted out, the fuel level sensor failed, etc, etc,etc. This is all on the 2000 Silverado I bought brand new. Now Chevrolet has been in business since 1911. If they haven't gotten quality down yet they never will. When.paying what these vehicles cost they should be trouble free. Seems to me at one point they produced a quality product. However it is not just Chevrolet. I have been let down by other GM brands. That is why I cannot see myself buying any more GM products. I swore off Chrysler products back in early 80s as there build quality was the worst. Have not owned a Mopar since then.

#29 ·
So let me see here, they put the ugly truck front end on the Sub Tahoe then, here have a 4cyl engine and did away with the solid rear axle. Boy that does it for me, I'll buy a Dodge Ram next round. It's still nice to see GM trying to put themselves out of business. As long as my old 2002 Subby does not rust out I will drive it forever. This new stuff it pure junk.

#32 ·
My 2011 Sierra with 5.3 has 172k miles on the clock. It's been trouble free except for the cracked dash. I agree the new Silverado took a step backwards in looks, but except for the Denali I kinda dig the Sierra front end, and the multi tailgate is nice. Prices are way out of hand.

#42 ·
i will never be able to afford one of these,by the time they get in my price range i will be dust in the wind.i do like the looks better then the last few years of trucks,how do the gmc yukons look? have an 01 sub that suits me just fine,and an old 98 tacoma it's rude and crude and rides like a lumber wagon,but i love the heck out of it.

#43 ·
Yikes!!! Starting at 50k! By the time you got any options into it, it's 60-70K. I really want a diesel, but even the I6 is an 8K option just like the big one on the 3/4 / 1 ton. Absolutely ridiculous!

And this damn ipad/tablet obsession in the auto industry needs to end ---- NOW! They are not proper cockpit controls!

#44 ·
This thing doesn't look to bad to me . With that said as much as I'd love a new truck it would have to come with a 10 year 200k bumper to bumper warranty . I got completely screwed on my 02 Duramax with the injector debacle . From GM saying they cant be updated to newer style injectors ( which are on the market 17 years later) the technology was always there and should have been installed the first time a guys injectors crap out . Then the POS 2007 Chevy Tahoe we have has been nothing but issues . From body control module problems to the 4wd not working half the time to the dash cracking for no reason and don't even get me started on the AFM garbage ruining LS engines that used to last 300k miles making them 150k mile engines if your lucky and GM not admitting they screwed us and stepping up to fix the problems . Plus 70k plus for a new truck is out of this world !! I have pretty much made up my mind that I'll be replacing things as the go on my old truck because even if I have to replace all the expensive stuff it will still be 50k plus less then a new truck .

#45 ·
My wife's 2011 with 21K on it now tows great. When she got it, after the first year it started sucking oil and the trans was shifting poorly. What fixed it was a puke tank to keep the oil out of the intake manifold and a innovative range AMF disabler deal that goes in the ALDL. The truck has run great ever since and the lousy shifting stopped completely. Sure would like a new 3/4 ton but a strippo reg cab was like 44K and still has manual windows and locks. Sorry ain't biting on that one even if it has the the new 6.6 liter engine.

#51 ·
I should do the puke tank mod to our POS Yahoe . Luckily the transmission has been good so far . We do have the little dongle to deactivate AFM on it now but it already has cylinder damage from oil wash down . The only good thing is its not doing any more damage and not using 3 quarts of oil between oil changes . Tell me more about the puke tank mod. I wonder if it would fail the smog test here with that on it .

#50 ·
AMEN to the picture of the "Crossovers". A tribute to blandness if ever I saw one. I am past needing to make a "statement"with the car I drive but at the same time I refuse to join the herd that apparently is enchanted by those things. I even confess to seeing the utility of the ugly things, I get that.

Here in the suburbs north of "The Atl" it seems that every mommy has one. I sit at stop lights and marvel at the numbers of those ugly things passing before me on a cross street. I sometimes wonder if we are headed to a point where there will be nothing else to buy but a crossover? It started with people falling in love with the things, it grew to the car makers walking away from making almost anything else except trucks and pretty soon I think it is gonna be a reality that there will be nothing else to buy BUT crossovers and trucks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.