Team Chevelle banner

Buick Gone?

5K views 69 replies 35 participants last post by  Rich69RS/SS 
#1 ·
#5 ·
The markets in China might be the deciding factor. GM has long ago lost its leadership position in the industry. They are struggling to find a way forward. Long ago they had it all and now they are just another player. Back when they had buckets of cash to throw around they spent a lot of it on inventing and developing new technology. Sadly that part is now likely lost.

#6 ·
When a company builds vehicles which prematurely fall apart they can expect no less than to perish. My Silverado which is good mechanically is a pos when it comes to window hardware and the otherwise cheap Chinese plastic parts. It fails miserably for the price at those levels. Compared to our Chevelle's the newer stuff is like comparing at Pop Warner team to an NFL team.

#8 ·
Boy did you nail it, I'm a little skeptical on the whole "Mechanical Thing", overall I am really disappointed with the truck. The recent Battery Exchange, if that is any indication of things to come, I really wish I could have gotten a lease, instead of buying it. I bought my 76 K5 Blazer with 45,000 on it. Its got over 300,000 on it now....I don't see the 15 doing anything near that without some serious failure, probably computer control related. It is the last GM product I will ever buy.

#7 ·
Buick is a prestige brand in China, that would be their only salvation. For whatever reason, Buicks were imported in the 20's and 30's and seen as a luxury, and something to aspire to in their culture, similar to Mercedes and such here in the US.

#23 ·
Buick is a prestige brand in China, that would be their only salvation. For whatever reason, Buicks were imported in the 20's and 30's and seen as a luxury, and something to aspire to in their culture, similar to Mercedes and such here in the US.
In the 1920's and the 1930's Buick's were a luxury car even right here in the USA too. But I think the reason those models sold over there in China back then was that their quality was on a par with Mercedes and Rolls Royce but now almost 100 years later the same can't really be said.I'm really pissed that GM has decided to lose their sedans and I think it's a mistake on GM's part that I wish they would look at and change their mind on dropping the sedans.

Reactions: DUKE 69
#10 ·
Buick made some nice products before the "corporate engine" nonsense and front wheel drive. It's been downhill ever since for most GM car lines. The CTS/V and a few Chevy's are good cars but the cheapness is instilled in the top levels of management. Barra is making 22 Million per year and she tell's those on the assembly line not to plan on any job security in future contracts.

#11 ·
GM kept pumping money into Saturn despite it being a failure every day it operated just to save face and not admit it was a bad idea, $50 billion as I recall. While this was going on, GM let Oldsmobile languish in antiquated plants and didn't have any concern for style and market needs that smarter brands became experts in.

It was this loss of funds that led to the bankruptcy and the bleeding off of Saturn, Saab, Pontiac, Humvee and even some subsidiaries such as AC-Delco (now called ACDelco).

Buick has been stagnant for years now, I'm also surprised it survived this long.

#12 ·
So let's talk about most all Chevrolets icluding Pickups have the same stupid looking grille. How many grilles can a person put on one car amyway? I thing the Cruze has 3. GM styling needs a house cleaning except maybe for the C8.

#13 ·
I used to say that if I needed a new car, it would be a truck, because the cars are ugly. Now, so are the trucks. I've said it before, and I'll say it again........my wife loves her 01 Tahoe. It has 293,000 miles on it and still runs like new. Uses no oil, pulls my car trailer, just keeps on running. I replaced one window motor about 250,000 miles ago. She doesn't want a new one (thank God) and says if this motor fails, install another one. I see a lot of new trucks on the road, can't understand how people can justify the cost. You won't see me in one.

#24 ·
I feel the same way about my 2004 XL Denali. Bought it used with 175K miles for $9K. 7 years later, a few maintenance items but nothing big, and it’s logged 258K. Seriously considering fixing the body rust, slapping on some new tires, and driving it a other 50/60K. The nightmares with lifters and cams on +2008 engines scare me.

#14 ·
I currently own a Buick. It is an 05 LeSabre and I think it's a pretty good car although it does have some.issues that all GM vehicles have.
We did have a 2012 Buick Regal GS that we bought brand new. The styling was good but mechanically it was a disappointment. By the time it had 60K miles I had replaced the drivers side rear bearing and hub 3 times and the passenger bearing and hub twice. Traded that car in and decided that was the last GM purchase for me.
GM build quality and reliability is poor and has been for decades. There was a time when I wouldn't even consider buying a vehicle that wasn't a GM. Now I am sure I will never buy one again unless they change their act.Only vehicle I would consider now is a Corvette and I doubt I would ever buy one of those.
I recall seeing a program where the CEOs of Cadillac were saying year after year that quality was job one. Meantime they were putting out a subpar product. What a shame.

#15 ·
GM Oshawa used to be my largest customer back in the day when this whole region revolved around them and they were running shifts around the clock. Now it is a ghost town. Acres and acres of empty parking lots that used to be full of employees cars and cars coming off the lines. Has been very painfull watching the decline. I have a 96 Sierra and my 67 which were both built when things were good. But probably wont buy another. Have moved to Ford on our newer vehicles which pains me to say. (Not that they are much better probably) but not about to support an offshore brand.

#16 ·
I saw Mary Barro on Fox Business claiming that they are going to focus on electric vehicles because of the success of the Volt. I very rarely ever see a Volt on the road, so I don't see what she is talking about. Our small town dealer here won't even sell them. Plus, she claims that GM needs to change because of climate change. The best car GM has now is the very roomy Chevy Impala, and they stopped making that. Maybe there was a reason for the GM bankruptcy, eh.

I have no idea where ANY of this is going, but it doesn't look good for GM. AOC claims that the world will end soon because of climate change, so I guess it really doesn't matter anyways...

#32 ·
.........I really don't want an SUV or any cross-over.
Amen on that. The similarities in appearance of those crossovers is mind numbing. Parked at a shopping center the other day, there were 4 or 5 of 'em parked side by side. All were different brands and all were white or off white. YUK!

Read yesterday that GM and GMC pickup trucks are going to be EVEN BIGGER next year. This observer has to question how they possiby could think that bigger than the already HUGE size is a good idea!

They are pushing me to look at cars made by overseas brand names. I already have a 4Runner and a Lexus (superb quality I never saw from GM) because GM burned me once too often. NEVER EVER will I buy GM again. Ford and Chrysler are deep sixing everything but trucks and those G-Damn Crossovers so they better not be crying in their beer when people like me look elsewhare.

#18 ·
My last new GM was a 2005 Pontiac Vibe, 276,000 miles on it. What do you expect from a Toyota. I have since purchased 3 new Ford cars, GM didn't offer something I wanted. Now that Ford is quitting cars I guess I will go with Toyota.
With the demise of cars people will buy Honda, Toyota and the rest, Not everyone wants an SUV or truck for everyday use.
My fathers 2005 LeSabre has crossed the 300K mark and is still going strong, he is 85 and it fits him well. In 2005 he traded in a Cadillac for the Buick so I guess he regressed?

#20 ·
I remember when I was selling Buicks & Pontiacs at Hamilton, in Irwin. The Buick sales pitch in 74 / 75 was, " We can not spell Buick without " U ".
Also in 1975 Pontiac came out with " RTS " suspension. YEP,, That was the year the " Tin Indians " came out with Radials... AKA " RTS ". (radial tuned suspension)
The original real " Tin Indian " Owner/Driver was drag racer Arlen Vanke.
Also, Ohio "George" was driving his Baby Blue 33 Willys Cp. A/G ( the external mounted willys spare tire on georges car had a " BIT " on concrete inside.) Didga know that? Mr. Dave Koffel was racing his blue 48 Packard at Salem Ohio, It had a S.B. Chevy. Just passing along some worthless information.
Bob

#25 ·
I worked at Buick for 1 year fixing their cars. The customers were real pos people for sure. I quit and went back to Pontiac GMC after that. Buick owners always wanted their cars fixed for free and if they did not get their way most of them balled their eyes out to the service manager until they got their way then we got screwed out of out time. Got real tired of working for free, won't hurt my feeling one bit if Buick goes under.

#28 ·
I don’t equate Buick changing their lineup to all SUVs meaning anything about them shutting the marque down. We have seen throughout our domestic automakers a shift to SUVs and Crossovers and away from sedans. I see this as a reinforcement of Buick’s survival.

#29 ·
This past May, we were looking to replace my wife's 2009 Grand Caravan SXT, it had 171,000 miles and had never really given us any trouble til the water pump went, but having a lifetime warranty, it was replaced along with the front struts, intake gasket,valve cover gaskets and oil pan gaskets as well as new coolant and oil/filter for $100.00. We looked at Dodge Journey's, but the dealer tried to sell us a used one and said the nearest one that fit our list was 4 hours away, we finally said, NO SALE and left. We contacted Navy Federal Credit Union about affiliated Dealers and we went to the Toyota dealer and they had what we wanted that fit our list exactly and the price was within our number, so we purchased it and we/MY WIFE/ couldn't be happier and it's a much nicer vehicle than that Dodge!!

#36 ·
I think the only Buick that I could get excited about would be a GSX Stage I or Stage II. That would trip my trigger.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.