Cool new Distributor - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 19, 2:31 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Jesse

Garage
Cool new Distributor

No more weights and springs, blue tooth, carburetor and efi compatible.
https://youtu.be/neiyDK0wQRM
Jeff65SS, fr8dog, Not2Fast and 1 others like this.

Jesse
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 19, 3:09 AM
Senior Tech Team

Re: Cool new Distributor

Its nice, but is it worth $529?

Steve R
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 19, 6:08 AM
Tech Team

hi
very good idea but
There have been a few unreliable fixed program /7 preselects and fully programmable distributors in the past. All these have had electronic issues eventually.

Current units can have poor programming software. Some eg MSD has software preferring a blown /turbo application .
Don`t bother about support.

The unit in the vid seems easy to program which is a major plus.
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 19, 9:16 AM
Senior Tech Team
Vince

Neat but wonder if your better off getting a $1000.00 EFI system and have better control of the ignition system.

*69 SS 502 EFI /224-228* HR/9.8:1/T56/3.90/ 4000lbs RW 11.5/124mph
*96 Stang 6.0 turbo 10.5/135mph (9.13 ET w/E85 and 16psi) **SOLD**
*2011 Mustang GT premium
*61" Scag Kohler 22hp 7mph
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 19, 12:27 PM
Tech Team
Dennis

Garage

Bluetooth distributor? Is this a joke? Is this something the motoring public clamored for?
I can see my grandson (3 years old) accidentally advancing or retarding my timing while trying to watch a cartoon in the back seat as were cruising down the road.

66 Chevelle hardtop - LFX 3.6 liter V6/6L50 6 speed auto trans, 3.07 10 bolt, full Hotchkis suspension, Wilwood 4 wheel discs, white with red interior, cowl hood.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 19, 2:40 PM
Tech Team

I can advance or retard my ign form my dash with the MSD box and dial I have and it a ton cheaper.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 19, 3:00 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6426yy View Post
No more weights and springs, blue tooth, carburetor and efi compatible.
https://youtu.be/neiyDK0wQRM
It looks like it comes with a special carb spacer for a vauum source that has to be routed to the distributor. I don't have the hood clearence for a spacer. So since I would never cut a hole in the hood just to use this new distributor, I guess i'd have to remove the intake manifold in order to drill and tap a new hole in it for a vacuum fitting just to be able to use it.

70 Chevelle SS clone (632 CI powered).
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 19, 3:06 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage

The HEI version is only $459: https://progressionignition.com/shop...ei-distributor
Not2Fast likes this.

1971 Malibu, factory buckets/full gauges/console, 377 roller cammed small block, Turbo 400, 3.42 10 bolt posi (Buick), - All your base are belong to us.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Chevelle w/ open headers:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Chevelle w/ 2.5 pipes + X crossover/18 inch glass packs:

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 19, 4:11 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Cool if your into that kind of stuff. I truly like my Dave Ray small body HEI (points distributor with an HEI module mounted under the body) and my points distributor with a Crane XRi module.
Heck, I was surprised to learn my friend can program his transmission shift points with his smart phone!
shovelrick likes this.

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 19, 4:44 PM
Senior Tech Team
Chris

Electronic timing control is awesome, so I really like the product. Seems pretty pricey at the moment though.

A 12x12 table is very nice fine tune a bunch of different loads. FiTech uses only a 3x3 table.

I don't think you'd get any more timing control with an EFI system unless you had at least the Holley Terminator software that has a 31x31 table, or the Dominator system with coil packs where you can control timing on each cylinder.

1971 Chevelle SS454, T56 Magnum 6 speed, 3.31 Posi

Youtube Channel.

Instagram:

Twitter:
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 19, 5:45 PM
Team Member
Tom

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, for those of us that do not have any of these devises, what's our option?
I barely have a flip phone------------------95% of the time it is off. I DO NOT text, I do not know how to text and I do not want to learn how. I deeply dispise cell phones and all related kinds devices.
And you know what---------------I get along just fine!
66dream likes this.

Tom Parsons
TC# 474
#3 FOREVER!!!!!
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak. (unknown)
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 19, 6:46 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZAUTO View Post
SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, for those of us that do not have any of these devises, what's our option?
I barely have a flip phone------------------95% of the time it is off. I DO NOT text, I do not know how to text and I do not want to learn how. I deeply dispise cell phones and all related kinds devices.
I’m pretty sure the market of this product is not for those that don’t have such devices, which is a fairly small market now days, right or wrong 😊

P.S. I wish I could go back to a flip phone 👍
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 19, 6:58 PM
Team Member
Tom

In our home, we have about 20 rotary dial phones-------------connected, including 3 of these.

This is my favorite.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1399.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	610342  

Tom Parsons
TC# 474
#3 FOREVER!!!!!
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak. (unknown)
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 19, 7:39 PM
Senior Tech Team
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZAUTO View Post
I'm sure your classic car will still get along just fine without one of these distributors. It's an option for those that want some modern tech without having to switch over to EFI. I think that's a pretty darn cool.
paul bell, bry66 and Gunn317 like this.

1971 Chevelle SS454, T56 Magnum 6 speed, 3.31 Posi

Youtube Channel.

Instagram:

Twitter:
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 19, 7:54 PM
Tech Team

Garage

Cool dist, thanks for posting.

'69 Malibu
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in