testing old oil video. - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

 10Likes
  • 1 Post By Jim Mac
  • 1 Post By JWagner
  • 3 Post By SSJohn
  • 3 Post By Kim57
  • 1 Post By Dean
  • 1 Post By cheveslakr
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 19, 3:49 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: tucson az
Posts: 14,430
Send a message via AIM to Jim Mac
testing old oil video.

https://www.wimp.com/testing-70-year-old-motor-oil/
maybe not 100% science. but next time I find new old cans, I wont be hesitant to break
in a ca. with it. jim
bikeron likes this.

Jim

70 chevelle, SS clone 454 4 speed 3.31 12 bolt posi
71 camaro. (owned since 1978!) 454-th400 3.07 12 bolt
66 chevelle 350 4 speed 3.55 12 bolt and a newly added 142 wieand blower
Jim Mac is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 19, 7:26 PM
Team Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1998
Location: Tucson, AZ, USA
Posts: 9,799
Re: testing old oil video.

Fun, but not many surprises there. In my younger days of buying beater cars from the 1950's I would always find an engine hugely full of sludge and crud when pulling off a valve cover. Those old oils are no match for today's stuff. Yay!
LeoP likes this.
JWagner is offline  
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 19, 9:59 AM
Tech Team
John
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: 55.916, 10.733
Posts: 641
Re: testing old oil video.

Big fan of project farm. Very methodical.
SSJohn is offline  
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 19, 10:18 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Byron, MN
Posts: 4,505
Re: testing old oil video.

I'll take all the vintage oil I can find.....just for the containers!

When I works, I works hard.
When I sits, I sits loose.
When I thinks, I falls asleep.

The '68 L79 Malibu survivor as found in Nov. 2014, in my profile pic.
augy is online now  
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 19, 10:46 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
rick
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: st. pete. , fla
Posts: 6,681
Garage
My Gfather bought a new car and new trucks every couple years and always said he wouldn't use a certain oil because it would sludge up but I can't remember what brand, this was in the 60's & 70's, Castrol maybe? or Quaker state seems to come to mind


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
shovelrick is online now  
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 19, 10:52 AM
Tech Team
Greg
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Red Deer Alberta, Canada
Posts: 324
Don’t you guys know they don’t make things like they used to. For almost everything the new stuff is tons better then the old stuff.

Life is too short for caring about every bodies else's stuff
Grock-co is offline  
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 19, 9:20 AM
Tech Team
Kim
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Corona
Posts: 880
Re: testing old oil video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelrick View Post
My Gfather bought a new car and new trucks every couple years and always said he wouldn't use a certain oil because it would sludge up but I can't remember what brand, this was in the 60's & 70's, Castrol maybe? or Quaker state seems to come to mind
Always heard that about Pennzoil back in the day. Was told it had wax in it. Probably an old wives tail because of how the gunk looked in the engines.
I still won't use it just out of habit.
Kim
shovelrick, langss and Dean 1961 like this.
Kim57 is online now  
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 19, 9:55 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jon N.
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: back in the "Hew-Hess-Hay"
Posts: 4,358
Re: testing old oil video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelrick View Post

My Gfather bought a new car and new trucks every couple years and always said he wouldn't use a certain oil because it would sludge up but I can't remember what brand, this was in the 60's & 70's, Castrol maybe? or Quaker state seems to come to mind

My uncle blamed Royal Triton for his Lincoln burning oil. Can't say. I never used it.

Jon N. ~ What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

The only reason someone would want insurance is if they want to pay someone elses bills or want someone else to pay their bills.

BIGOT is a word used by people that can't use logical reasoning to prove that you are wrong when you don't agree with them.
dyno jonn is offline  
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 19, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: tucson az
Posts: 14,430
Send a message via AIM to Jim Mac
Re: testing old oil video.

I picked up 2 cases of the card board cans last summer. ended up just flipping them to another d guy wanting a cam break in oil. jim

Jim

70 chevelle, SS clone 454 4 speed 3.31 12 bolt posi
71 camaro. (owned since 1978!) 454-th400 3.07 12 bolt
66 chevelle 350 4 speed 3.55 12 bolt and a newly added 142 wieand blower
Jim Mac is offline  
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 19, 2:29 PM
Senior Tech Team
Lang
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: West Hills California
Posts: 2,374
Garage
Re: testing old oil video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim57 View Post
Always heard that about Pennzoil back in the day. Was told it had wax in it. Probably an old wives tail because of how the gunk looked in the engines.
I still won't use it just out of habit.
Kim
It was Pennzoil, I remember being told it was a Paraffin Wax Base, and I remember seeing the result being scraped out of the bottom of an oil pan, back when people still kept there cars because a new one was to expensive.....lol....and rebuilding the engine was less expensive. My High School Autoshop Teacher Hated Pennzoil, and every car that came in for us to work on, he would point out on the door stickers if it had Pennzoil or some other brand.

Ideas are like children: there are none so wonderful as your own.
langss is offline  
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 19, 3:18 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 1998
Location: near Kansas City
Posts: 62,868
Garage
Re: testing old oil video.

Ask 100 people about motor oil and you'll get 99 different answers.
I've heard more stories about different brands from believers over the years than I can count.
Bow_Tied likes this.

.
.
.
.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Dean is offline  
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 19, 3:56 PM
Senior Tech Team
jerry
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: portland oregon
Posts: 7,238
Re: testing old oil video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
Ask 100 people about motor oil and you'll get 99 different answers.
I've heard more stories about different brands from believers over the years than I can count.
Aint that the truth! Going by that test and just common sense, don't open those old containers....put them on the shelf and let them be a conversation starter. They can't do any damage that way.
augy likes this.
cheveslakr is offline  
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 19, 9:19 PM
Tech Team
Dean
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Victorville California
Posts: 198
Re: testing old oil video.

I remember hearing that crude oil was different depending where it came from.Quaker State was 100% Pennsylvania crude oil that was an ash based crude oil and if left your engine sitting to long it would start to eat away at your bearings.
Pennzoil was it was said was paraffin based crude that would eventually gum up your engine.Based on that I just used Valvoline.

"Im the one thats got to die when its time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to."
Jimi Hendrix
Dean 1961 is offline  
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 19, 9:05 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Byron, MN
Posts: 4,505
Re: testing old oil video.

I had a new '70 Nova SS, 350/4 speed, back in 1970. Used Pennzoil in it because that's what my Dad always used with no problems. The Nova started puffing a little blue smoke on start-up with less than 10,000 miles on it. A Chevy mechanic recommended switching to Quaker State. So I did and the Nova had no more "blues" after a couple oil changes. Interesting.

Still use QS to this day in all my cars.

When I works, I works hard.
When I sits, I sits loose.
When I thinks, I falls asleep.

The '68 L79 Malibu survivor as found in Nov. 2014, in my profile pic.
augy is online now  
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 19, 9:04 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
jimmyradford
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: ARKLATEX
Posts: 2,788
Re: testing old oil video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by langss View Post
It was Pennzoil, I remember being told it was a Paraffin Wax Base, and I remember seeing the result being scraped out of the bottom of an oil pan, back when people still kept there cars because a new one was to expensive.....lol....and rebuilding the engine was less expensive. My High School Autoshop Teacher Hated Pennzoil, and every car that came in for us to work on, he would point out on the door stickers if it had Pennzoil or some other brand.
Crude oil is paraffin based or asphalt based according to my Dad. He said the paraffin was a better oil, was a pipeliner, and did tons of crude oil testing in his day.

TC Member # 4431
'67 Chevrolet Biscayne- SS427 L-36/TH400 (Hers)
'67 Hell Camino-BB 427/TH400 (His)
'66 300 Deluxe 2 door-230/PG
"Good people sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."-Orsen Wells

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people and they're generally more useful.
badrad is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome