This morning's waste of time - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 19, 4:18 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Talking This morning's waste of time

I need a set of calipers to turn in as cores for my '64 wagon project, so I decided to try the local pick a part here in Vegas. I pack up my tools, bring extras in case I encounter something unexpected.

I leave my house around 10:15, arrive around 10:45, ask the guy if he has any older GMs. He checks the inventory, 76 El Camino, 77 Nova, etc. Great, I'm sure I'll find something. I locate the few older GM's that are there & most of them have been stripped clean. Finally stumble upon a '74 Buick Century with all 4 wheels still bolted on...perfect. I take out my Snap On 1/2" cordless impact, pull the wheels. I have both calipers off in about 5 minutes, its pretty easy when you can snip off the brake hose. Calipers even have the Delco Moraine casting, excellent cores to get back into circulation.

So I walk back to the front of the yard & get out my wallet. Throw the calipers on the cashier shelf & the guys rings me up for $48! Yes, $24 per side for 45 year old calipers with both piston seals halfway out of the bores. I do a quick double take & ask, "are you sure that's correct?". I was speechless. Rebuilt calipers are $15 each on Rock Auto!!!!

I did the quick math in my head. Summit & Rock Auto each charge between $30-$35 for a core. By the time I pay to ship them back, I'll be in for $48 plus $20-$25 for shipping. It would cost me more money than to just eat the core charge & I'd still have the hassle of going to the Post Office to ship them back. I just looked at him & said "No thanks".

When I was driving home, I realized he asked me what kind of car the parts came off. It didn't register that maybe they're charging more for older parts? I remember the not so distant past when most pick a parts had a price list & calipers were around $6. Regardless, there's 90 minutes of my life I'll never get back. Sigh...
Steve R and 71350SS like this.

64 2 door Wagon Build thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 2 door Sedan LS1 T56

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 19, 4:33 PM
Senior Tech Team
jerry

Re: This morning's waste of time

Hey Pete, if you're handy enough to remove the calipers, you're handy enough to rebuild them. I think I paid less than $15 in the kits to rebuild both calipers. I save all my old stuff anymore.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 19, 4:38 PM
Tech Team
Dan

Garage

The core charge is the only downside of parts ordering from RockAuto, etc. I am way too lazy to be sending stuff back like that.
shelteredv likes this.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 19, 4:46 PM
Tech Team

Yeah... pick a parts are RIDICULOUS now.
I grabbed an old flow master muffler just for the fun of it(I needed pulleys and other stuff so I just brought it with me to the front). They wanted 89 dollars for it. I had also found a heavy duty transmission cooler that I could flush out and use and they wanted 105 dollars for it.
The icing on the cake? They wanted 120 bucks for a set of electric camaro fans when the previous week I had bought another set for 40. I generally don't even bother anymore, it's USUALLY not worth the time what so ever.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 19, 6:13 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheveslakr View Post
Hey Pete, if you're handy enough to remove the calipers, you're handy enough to rebuild them. I think I paid less than $15 in the kits to rebuild both calipers. I save all my old stuff anymore.

Trust me Jerry, if I had an original set to rebuild, I would've already. The cores I pulled off were from a mid 70s Buick so I think they're different somehow than a first gen Chevelle. Anyone know for sure?

67 2 door Sedan LS1 T56

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 19, 6:18 PM
Senior Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to Jim Mac

that stuff I just go to the local oriely or autozone. you get a lifetime warranty so when it fails it's easy to deal with. then again I probably have 4 or 6 cores sitting in the shed. jim

Jim

70 chevelle, SS clone 454 4 speed
71 camaro. (owned since 1978!) 6-71 blown small block 400
66 chevelle 350 4 speed 3.55 12 bolt
66 el camino 350 th350 parts hauler
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 19, 8:19 PM
Team Member
Tony

Garage

As places like Auto Zone sell more and more junk made out of Chinesium, the price for OEM stuff keeps going up.

Miss the days of being able to stop in any NAPA and get OEM parts from grumpy old cars with half naked girls sitting on WWII airplanes.

'69 Malibu 383/TCI TH350/8.2 3.36 Eaton Posi. Street Edge 10" 2800, E-Tec 170s, Custom Mike Jones HR Cam, RPM Air-Gap, StreetAvenger 770, Pertronix HEI, Hedman 1 5/8" Headers, Moser Axles, PMT 1320R Kit. [email protected] 111 MPH, 1.6865 60 ft, Nitto 555
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 19, 8:55 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Mac View Post
that stuff I just go to the local oriely or autozone. you get a lifetime warranty so when it fails it's easy to deal with. then again I probably have 4 or 6 cores sitting in the shed. jim

Jim,

I ****ing despise autozone. Before Amazon & Rock Auto showed up, I wasted more time waiting in line or dealing with some 25 year old girl who doesn't know sh!t about cars. Plus they sell crap parts. The only thing they're good for is borrowing a tool that I might not have on a rare occasion.

My time is too valuable, so I plan ahead. I can order whatever I need & have it show up from Summit or Amazon the next day. Plus I save money, parts are cheaper, I'm not driving to the store wasting gas & I'm not standing in line for 20-30 minutes. I haven't been to an auto parts yet on my wagon build.

I usually don't mind eating the core charge if it's $10, but 2 calipers would be almost $70 in cores. So I took a shot at pick a part. Lesson learned.
blue_69_malibu and shovelrick like this.

67 2 door Sedan LS1 T56

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 19, 9:09 PM
Senior Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to Jim Mac

I think I'm going to order rebuild kits for my calipers and keep it old gm. Aren't the single piston calipers the same from 69 to mid 70s? trucks included? jim

Jim

70 chevelle, SS clone 454 4 speed
71 camaro. (owned since 1978!) 6-71 blown small block 400
66 chevelle 350 4 speed 3.55 12 bolt
66 el camino 350 th350 parts hauler
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 19, 9:44 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage

Jim D52 brakes were on a lot of GM cars/trucks over the years (I'm sure you already knew) but I'm not sure when they stopped or if they had any backset/offset changes, FWIW I do know for a fact 72 Impala front wheel bearings/races are the exact same for a 70-82 Harley shovelhead frame swingarm and cheaper, just some needless info
71350SS likes this.

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 19, 4:01 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mark

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelrick View Post
FWIW I do know for a fact 72 Impala front wheel bearings/races are the exact same for a 70-82 Harley shovelhead frame swingarm and cheaper, just some needless info
Harley's used to use a lot of common parts for their bikes. I always went to the parts store to look around for parts that would work. It's 35 miles to the closest Harley dealer, and as you know, wayyyyyy to expensive for parts. More needless info, 6cyl Chevy points are used on my 75 XLCH Sportster.
71350SS and shovelrick like this.

'69 Chevelle SS ("NOT" ON THE ROAD NOW!
)
Engine parts: (Heads, cam & lifters from Lewis Racing Engines)
ZZ502 Short block
AFR 305 CNC 106cc Chambers 8002 springs
Bullet HR ADV Dur 295/297 238/242 @ .050 .680/.650-110 LSA-108 ICL Morel lifters
Holley Avenger MPFI
612HP/594TQ
T-56 Magnum trans with hydraulic McLeod RST
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 19, 9:30 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Garage

I just include the core charge in the price of the part I'm buying and usually scrap the core. I have a steering rack for a 4th gen F body in the rafters if anyone needs one. It wasn't worth the cost to send it back. I like U pick yards mostly for the adventure of finding cool stuff and a set price list. My favorite yard is still pretty reasonable. Price List :: EZ Pull & Save Auto Parts | New Ringgold, PA Sounds like you need to find a better yard.

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 19, 12:20 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ69chevelle View Post
Sounds like you need to find a better yard.

Wishful thinking. There's only 2 here in Vegas, both owned by the same company.

67 2 door Sedan LS1 T56

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 19, 11:08 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

I just KNEW there was a reason I hoarded all those "junk" calipers, rotors, starters, alternators, driveshafts, exhaust manifolds, over the years......
shovelrick likes this.

When I works, I works hard.
When I sits, I sits loose.
When I thinks, I falls asleep.

The '68 L79 Malibu survivor as found in Nov. 2014, in my profile pic.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 19, 12:11 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage

Pete I think your location might have something to do with the price, dry desert area is where the better project cars are found so the junk yards want to cash in on that, Desert Auto Salvage or something like that with the show they do/had on restos probably started it ?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in