Hagerty "cherished salvage" option - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 19, 5:25 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Ben

Garage
Hagerty "cherished salvage" option

I called Hagerty a bit ago to do a couple tweaks to my policy and bump the coverage a bit.

Apparently they have a new option called "Cherished Salvage" so in the event of the vehicle being totaled, you not only get your check for the agreed value, but they also will give you back \ let you keep the vehicle for free.

Total added cost for my $20k value was only $12/year. Went ahead and did it.

Anyway- thought it was interesting and figured I'd share.

Ben R.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 19, 6:18 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage
Im doing the same before I put the 489 in, if it gets totalled I want the engine back and part out the rest

post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 19, 7:03 PM
von
Lifetime Founding Member
Von

Re: Hagerty "cherished salvage" option

Sounds like a way for them to make a heck of a lot of money. How many cars will get totaled that are covered by that option. I'm guessing a pretty low percentage. I'm ok with the option of buying my totaled car back after receiving the check for the agreed value. Maybe I wouldn't want it back depending on the level of damage, and some people that pay the extra won't necessarily want theirs back either.
boyd66k20 likes this.

von '69 Malibu Team Chevelle Member #15

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 19, 7:03 PM
Tech Team
Dennis

Garage

Sounds like money well spent.

66 Chevelle hardtop - LFX 3.6 liter V6/6L50 6 speed auto trans, 3.07 10 bolt, full Hotchkis suspension, Wilwood 4 wheel discs, white with red interior, cowl hood.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 19, 7:20 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Ben

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by von View Post
Sounds like a way for them to make a heck of a lot of money. How many cars will get totaled that are covered by that option. I'm guessing a pretty low percentage. I'm ok with the option of buying my totaled car back after receiving the check for the agreed value. Maybe I wouldn't want it back depending on the level of damage, and some people that pay the extra won't necessarily want theirs back either.
While i do subscribe to the notion that insurance overall is a racket and agree that it is an easy way for them to make more money, I do feel its worth the small extra expense.

In the last year I've had 2 friends have vehicles totaled(not their fault either)... Both of them struggled with what to do as they had a ton of still good parts on the cars. One negotiated and bought back the shell, the other let it go after agonizing over it.

Its fairly easy for an accident to total a car from an insurance standpoint w/o destroying the car or all the valuable parts, which have more value to the person who installed them and knows their age/history.

Personally if it happened to me, i'd rather not have to reinvent the wheel again if i have known good stuff.

Ben R.

-

post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 19, 8:03 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

I had a totaled 04 GTO with agreed value. Wish that coverage was available a few years ago. I’d be all over that if they offered it then.

Team Chevelle Member (19 years and counting...
)

'72 Chevelle Convertible (Mohave Gold) (all SS options, no SS badging)

2004 Pontiac GTO (Quicksilver) RIP April 2013
--> Replaced with 2004 Pontiac GTO (Barbados Blue)

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche (Sunset Orange Metallic)
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 19, 8:13 PM
Tech Team
Dennis

Garage

With today’s labor rates it does not take near what it used to to total a car. I had a car totaled because the wire harness burned out of it. The labor for the repair exceeded the value of the car.
If a tree falls on an the roof of an early Chevelle, they’ll total it for sure. But wouldn’t you want the drive train, chassis, interior, tires and wheels? I would and $12 a year, ie, two trip to Starbucks, is worth the gamble.
They pay you agreed value and you either sell the parts or use as a parts car for your next project.

66 Chevelle hardtop - LFX 3.6 liter V6/6L50 6 speed auto trans, 3.07 10 bolt, full Hotchkis suspension, Wilwood 4 wheel discs, white with red interior, cowl hood.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 19, 8:43 PM
Senior Tech Team
jerry

Since I build my stuff, it's 100% worth it. I'd buy it back anyways, but this makes it a lot cheaper. I've had 3 or 4 cars totaled that were nothing like the finished chevelles....always made quick cash. My first car was a '67 cougar, 289 auto with only 1 option, the tilt-away steering column. Had maybe $1200 into it. Punched in the rear by an idiot, totaled, bought it back for $250 and parted it out for well over $1600. Got $250 for that column....back in '83. That kinda lead me down a glorious rabbit hole.
64elkynss, 69SHEVL and shovelrick like this.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 19, 11:59 PM
Tech Team
Dennis

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by von View Post
With this option you could get the salvage for free. Without it, they will tell you what you will have to pay and it won’t be cheap.
If you saved the intake manifold, worth $12
Only save the seats, easily worth $12
Or the tires and wheels, yup worth the money
So you pay this for 5, no 10 years without a claim. Your out $120. If your car is totaled in the 11th year, still totally worth it.
All insurance is a gamble. That’s the only way it works and is affordable. But in my case, and everyone has different opinions, I would rather pay $120 or $240 or ?? To get to keep my car after they pay me full value.
64elkynss and shovelrick like this.

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 19, 1:29 AM
Tech Team

$1/month? Totally worth it, thanks for the heads up, I’ll call and add that to my policy.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 19, 2:53 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Kim

Garage

All the parts combined add up to more than what the whole is worth in my case. If I have an agreed value of say, 80K, and my car is totaled, what would the buy back be i wonder? Individual parts- engine- 15k, trans- 4k, rear- 4.5k, chassis 20k,ect. 12 bucks a year for a gimme? I'm calling in the morning.
shovelrick likes this.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 19, 7:46 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Garage

Hell yeah!
shovelrick likes this.

Mike

My

AACA Senior Grand National
Good Guys Muscle Car of the Year Finalist

Eckler's Winternationals Platinum 1000 pts
2016 Midwest Chevelle Regional 1000 Point Award

NPD Choice Award All GM Oktoberfest
6 times Concours d'Elegance Best in Class

MCC Platinum & 2 times People's Choice Award & Carolina Chevelle Club Best in Show

2016 Midwest Chevelle Regional "Dean Call Award"
2015 OPGI Original Restored Award

MCACN Gold
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 19, 7:53 AM
Senior Tech Team
Steve

I just looked it up - cost is 15% of your comprehensive & collision coverage per year.

So, in my case, more than $12, but still gonna be calling later this morning to go for it. Thanks for the heads up.

shovelrick likes this.

1972 Chevelle, 454, 200-4r non-lockup, 12 bolt 3.73
1981 Camaro Z28, 355, TH350, 3.73
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 19, 9:18 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage

This is on my list of "to do" things today

post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 19, 11:18 AM
Tech Team
Dennis

Garage

Now guys, what we don’t want to see on here is all these stories about how you bought this policy and then your cars got mysteriously totaled right after you stumbled across a new rust free, original owner SS roller that you would like to use for a new project.
Instead, call ME about the find and keep your current car safe.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in