Craigslist Peach - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

3Likes
  • 3 Post By WakkoWarner

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 19, 9:44 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Craigslist Peach

The whole thing is an abomination but take a good look at the rear "suspension". Ladder bars and coil-overs and I guess the coil-overs are centering the housing... No panhard, no triangulation. One bolt per side on the ladder bars and some scab welding holding the dang thing in and he claims it's been 123 MPH in the quarter. How did it pass tech? EEK!

https://pueblo.craigslist.org/cto/d/...024575637.html

70 Camino...Roller

69 Malibu Stock 307, Reverse Manual TH350, 4,500 Stall Edge Converter, 4.56 Spool 35 Spline 12 Bolt

76 C20 VortecPro 496 628HP 655 lb/ft TH400 Edge Converter, 4.10 14 bolt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 19, 9:58 PM
Tech Team

Re: Craigslist Peach

What is a "Conan 3500 stall blower converter"?
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 19, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Sounds barbaric!

70 Camino...Roller

69 Malibu Stock 307, Reverse Manual TH350, 4,500 Stall Edge Converter, 4.56 Spool 35 Spline 12 Bolt

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 19, 10:36 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy the Cat View Post
The whole thing is an abomination but take a good look at the rear "suspension". Ladder bars and coil-overs and I guess the coil-overs are centering the housing... No panhard, no triangulation. One bolt per side on the ladder bars and some scab welding holding the dang thing in and he claims it's been 123 MPH in the quarter. How did it pass tech? EEK!

https://pueblo.craigslist.org/cto/d/...024575637.html
How did it pass tech? Lots of tracks donít tech cars that run T&Tís or grudge nights. There is a track in my area where the owner told his tech people that anyone who purchased a tech card got to run. That was the last night any of them worked anything other than a real race at the track, since those are technically NHRA sanctioned, they could fail unsafe cars. On a side note, everyone on this site that lives in that area chooses to go to that track for those ďeventsĒ because tech is easy. The track also doesnít have any fire safety personnel or an ambulance either for T&Tís or grudge nights.

Secondly, even if there are people doing tech, they probably arenít going to look underneath the car. When there is a line of 20-30 cars they are pushing them through as quickly as possible. They will check major components that tend fail or expire. There just isnít enough time to do a full inspection, if that were the case you would be looking it hours waiting in line.

Steve R
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 19, 10:40 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage

You gotta love an engine with a hydroponic cam. Totally water based.
red68chevL, dell72 and shovelrick like this.

1971 Malibu, factory buckets/full gauges/console, 377 roller cammed small block, Turbo 400, 3.42 10 bolt posi (Buick), - All your base are belong to us.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Chevelle w/ open headers:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Chevelle w/ 2.5 pipes + X crossover/18 inch glass packs:

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 19, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
There just isnít enough time to do a full inspection, if that were the case you would be looking it hours waiting in line.

Steve R
I'm sure it's that way everywhere. I just can't believe this mess has made an 11 second pass without ejecting that rear end. There's absolutely nothing keeping it from moving side to side.

70 Camino...Roller

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 19, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakkoWarner View Post
I missed that, good catch! The ad is almost as much of a disaster as the truck is.

70 Camino...Roller

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 19, 11:16 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
I'm sure it's that way everywhere. I just can't believe this mess has made an 11 second pass without ejecting that rear end. There's absolutely nothing keeping it from moving side to side.
That happened to a guy at my home track recently. He spit out the entire rear end assembly with the ladder bars still attached on the starting line. The races are live streamed on YouTube and archived on the tracks channel. It made for some good laughs due to the fact only his pride was hurt.

Steve R
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 19, 2:54 AM
Senior Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to Jim Mac

that's the same set up that was under my 70 el camino project I bought in august.. I did cut it all out the day I dragged it home and bolted in a stock 12 bolt. jim

Jim

70 chevelle, SS clone 454 4 speed
71 camaro. (owned since 1978!) 6-71 blown small block 400
66 chevelle 350 4 speed 3.55 12 bolt
66 el camino 350 th350 parts hauler
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 19, 4:02 AM
Tech Team
Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
How did it pass tech? Lots of tracks donít tech cars that run T&Tís or grudge nights. There is a track in my area where the owner told his tech people that anyone who purchased a tech card got to run. That was the last night any of them worked anything other than a real race at the track, since those are technically NHRA sanctioned, they could fail unsafe cars. On a side note, everyone on this site that lives in that area chooses to go to that track for those ďeventsĒ because tech is easy. The track also doesnít have any fire safety personnel or an ambulance either for T&Tís or grudge nights.

Secondly, even if there are people doing tech, they probably arenít going to look underneath the car. When there is a line of 20-30 cars they are pushing them through as quickly as possible. They will check major components that tend fail or expire. There just isnít enough time to do a full inspection, if that were the case you would be looking it hours waiting in line.

Steve R
Yikes!
I will stick to road-racing, there is always a tech inspection.
No fire or ambulance, really great way to go broke in the lawsuit if/when anyone is injured.
Oh, it's just racing, no one, driver or spectator, is EVER hurt doing that!

At these gas prices I want it 100+ octane, leaded, and my windshield washed!
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 19, 10:09 AM
Tech Team

Garage

Well, he must be a Colorado , "good ole boy" with those fixings. Back yard tech? heh heh.

66 SS-396/425 - M22 -3:73 -12 bolt
USN-SSBN 645-G
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 19, 12:12 PM
Senior Tech Team
Vince

what a mess that rear end is

68-Malibu 427bbc/t4oo/3.73-12bolt/pro charger f1-r
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 19, 1:24 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakkoWarner View Post
Sure hope he's using triple-strength shot-peened unobtanium lifters with that cam.

Quote:
he claims it's been 123 MPH in the quarter.
On bald street tires.

When I works, I works hard.
When I sits, I sits loose.
When I thinks, I falls asleep.

The '68 L79 Malibu survivor as found in Nov. 2014, in my profile pic.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 19, 11:48 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Verle

Look at the notch in the frame above the rearend and the springs are attached behind the notch. It will break off soon.

Verle
Tulsa, Ok
65 Chevelle L79 since Feb 1965

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 19, 11:59 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage

Is it just me, or does the right side of the axle housing (there is a picture that shows it from that side) look like it is cracked??

1971 Malibu, factory buckets/full gauges/console, 377 roller cammed small block, Turbo 400, 3.42 10 bolt posi (Buick), - All your base are belong to us.

My Chevelle w/ open headers:

My Chevelle w/ 2.5 pipes + X crossover/18 inch glass packs:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in