2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E... - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 19, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage
2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E...

Ford just introduced the new 2021 Mustang Mach-E. GM had better get off of their duffs and start getting serious about electrification (the Bolt was a good start, but it is all they have at this point - they need something bigger, with much better range).

https://www.automobilemag.com/news/2...nfirmed-debut/

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...e-photos-info/

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...tures-options/
blue_69_malibu likes this.

1971 Malibu, factory buckets/full gauges/console, 377 roller cammed small block, Turbo 400, 3.42 10 bolt posi (Buick), - All your base are belong to us.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Chevelle w/ open headers:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Chevelle w/ 2.5 pipes + X crossover/18 inch glass packs:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 19, 12:38 PM
Senior Tech Team

Re: 2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E...

I have a feeling the new Mustang Mach-E will flop hard.

Steve R
bikeron likes this.
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 19, 1:01 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dave

I actually looked at the 2005 Mustangs when they first came out... but I bought a 66' Chevelle instead. Call that new one a Mach-E...but don't use the Mustang name.
post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 19, 1:06 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
I have a feeling the new Mustang Mach-E will flop hard.

Steve R
I wouldn't bet on that. It looks similar to the offerings from Tesla, which are pretty popular. And if they can bring it in at a much lower price point than a comparable Tesla, then they will sell.

1971 Malibu, factory buckets/full gauges/console, 377 roller cammed small block, Turbo 400, 3.42 10 bolt posi (Buick), - All your base are belong to us.

post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 19, 1:38 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakkoWarner View Post
I wouldn't bet on that. It looks similar to the offerings from Tesla, which are pretty popular. And if they can bring it in at a much lower price point than a comparable Tesla, then they will sell.
Even Elon Musk said the model S and X were niche players. You donít see many of the Xís around. The model 3 is a different story. I just donít think the public has embraced the hybrids and electric cars Ford and GM have so far produced such as the C-Max and Volt. I donít see it changing with this offering.

Steve R
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 19, 1:57 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage

There are lots of the Model S and Model X vehicles driving around out here. But, the point is that this is an SUV. If they bring it in at the right price point, it will sell. SUVs are what people are buying now, so an electric one is very appealing to the masses.

post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 19, 2:52 PM
Senior Tech Team

Since monthly sales numbers are readily available we will know in about 18 months.

Steve R
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 19, 3:15 PM
Senior Tech Team
Lang

Garage

From what I have read, its not so much the offering..... its more about where ya gonna plug um in..... Its not like there is a "Charging Station" on every corner..... I see signs occasionally on lamp posts, but again few and far between. Its always going to be about the "Range"..... And people are very use to running out of "Gas", get a gallon....Go fill it up. I don't think that works out on the Highway....20mi from the next Charging Station. Lets face it .... its got a leash....you can only go so far and that's it. And its not like a 5min fill up at the local ''Pump and Go"....your probably looking at a 30min recharge....fast recharge eats batteries....slow recharge takes time..... Anyway you look at it, its going to be a while before all the kinks get worked out, and in the meantime....people will be soured on future ownership because of past failure....Right now I know of at least 5 people that bought Prius's....Guess what they are today.... Yard Art....The "Rebuilt" Battery pack was $900 if you installed it, and that was a couple of years ago....what is a 5yo Prius worth....Did any of those people save all that much...if they did, they sure didn't plan on a Replacement Battery Pack worth more than the car to keep it going.

Ideas are like children: there are none so wonderful as your own.
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 19, 3:16 PM
Tech Team

I think it’s cool, the GT for $60K and then $7.5K tax rebate, mid 3 sec 0-60, 230+ miles range sounds awesome 👍. Plus the electrify America that are using for charging, fast-chargers, expending network etc might actually make it very attractive.

Sure looks cool as a “crossover” style they call it 👍
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 19, 3:22 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by langss View Post
From what I have read, its not so much the offering..... its more about where ya gonna plug um in..... Its not like there is a "Charging Station" on every corner..... I see signs occasionally on lamp posts, but again few and far between. Its always going to be about the "Range"..... And people are very use to running out of "Gas", get a gallon....Go fill it up. I don't think that works out on the Highway....20mi from the next Charging Station. Lets face it .... its got a leash....you can only go so far and that's it. And its not like a 5min fill up at the local ''Pump and Go"....your probably looking at a 30min recharge....fast recharge eats batteries....slow recharge takes time..... Anyway you look at it, its going to be a while before all the kinks get worked out, and in the meantime....people will be soured on future ownership because of past failure....Right now I know of at least 5 people that bought Prius's....Guess what they are today.... Yard Art....The "Rebuilt" Battery pack was $900 if you installed it, and that was a couple of years ago....what is a 5yo Prius worth....Did any of those people save all that much...if they did, they sure didn't plan on a Replacement Battery Pack worth more than the car to keep it going.
To a degree. I think you just need more planning for long trips. 235 up to 300 miles range is plenty for what most people will use them most of the time as a day to day car and you just charge it in your garage at night.

I commute 30 miles each way and 250 miles will get me far from home on a long trip, it would work perfect 99.9% of the time.
post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 19, 4:35 PM
Senior Tech Team
Lang

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanniziomas View Post
To a degree. I think you just need more planning for long trips. 235 up to 300 miles range is plenty for what most people will use them most of the time as a day to day car and you just charge it in your garage at night.

I commute 30 miles each way and 250 miles will get me far from home on a long trip, it would work perfect 99.9% of the time.
Hey, I wasn't trying to start a "Pissing Contest"....I'm sure there are a certain % of people that 235-300 miles would be AOK.... I was simply pointing out that its a long way from perfect. As an example....could it work for my planned purchase in AZ.... "NO" it would not....400+ miles and a 6+hour drive might be doable if I wanted to stop at the 200mi point assuming there was a place to charge it, which now adds to my 6+hr drive.....So practically speaking.....something that gets 40mpg and can refill in around 5min is clearly the better choice for me. I think its great that it works for you, and anybody else, but I also think as I said in my original post its going to be a while before it will work for a larger % of people.

Ideas are like children: there are none so wonderful as your own.
post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 19, 4:35 PM
Team Member
Tom

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOK, so if I had one of those and planned to drive from Okla City to the Maryland Chevelle show (just as a simple example), how long would it take me to get there, and then how long would it take me to get back home after the show???????????????????

HELL NO THANKS! I'll take the 70 with a 2.73 rear gear! MAX will be 2 days one way (shorter with a second driver). Not to mention a Chevelle is much cooler than ANY hi-tech elec car!
Let the yuppies have their hi-tech green cars and I'll stay with what's proven to work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0563.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	148.6 KB
ID:	608546  

Tom Parsons
TC# 474
#3 FOREVER!!!!!
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak. (unknown)
post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 19, 5:12 PM
Senior Tech Team

It won't be a flop, well, not as we think. If it were flopped over onto its roof, up side down, gutted and filled with dirt, it'd make a grand planter.
langss likes this.
post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 19, 5:35 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Electric is tomorrow regardless of how we see it. We don't make the rules, big money makes the rules because they own the law makers. As an example;
I receive flyers from the military exchange where at certain exchanges you can purchase guns etc. In the last ad there were a few types of weapons with the disclaimer, "not available in California". I can easily see California doing the exact same thing with gasoline powered vehicles. The leftists in this state will be on board with it because they don't mind giving away their freedoms.
This Mustang will open up a new market for girls who think they're "cool".
Chevy already has the eCamaro at the drag strip and it ran high 9's. In reality they have the jump on Ford BUT, for whatever reason the buying public is rejecting the Camaro which. in reality is a really nice car. GM needs to fire Barra and the design team and put some cars out there that match our classics in desirability. And PRONTO...
GM has high stakes in China, not here where the sedan is concerned.
fr8dog and blue_69_malibu like this.

'66 SS Chevelle
565 BBC Mamofied 300cc Ovals
4.11 12 bolt
Best e.t. to date [email protected] @115.31
1.301 60' 3355 pbr 1.306 3055S
post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 19, 5:52 PM
Tech Team

if you live in the city and drive in the city electric is the way to go,if your out in the sticks like me that can put on 600 miles in a day i prefer my diesel jetta.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in