Team Chevelle banner

A26 Progress-----------not, I went to see the Bigboy!!!

1K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  TKG 
#1 ·
One of the once in a lifetime opportunities that I just could not pass up!!!!!!!
UP 4014 came through eastern Okla today and I just had to go.

Attachments

See less See more
1 2
#3 ·
I saw Big Boy last week when it came through Longview and Marshall, Texas. What a monstrously AWESOME piece of machinery. That's 1.2 million pounds of fire breathing, steam belching pulling power.

And that steam whistle is music to my ears!! It came by at about 40-45 MPH blowing it . . . . man!! So many people are fascinated by this machine.

Rick

#12 ·
I'm more curious about Vmo

#5 ·
I just read that it's going to be at Kansas City Union Station at 6:30 PM today.

KANSAS CITY, Mo. — Union Pacific's steam locomotive Big Boy No. 4014 is making a stop in Kansas City Sunday.

The rolling piece of history will stop at Union Station as part of its tour across the Southwest in honor of Union Pacific's 150th anniversary of the transcontinental railroad's completion.

The train is expected to stop in Kansas City around 6:30 p.m.

#6 ·
Interesting thing about that Big Boy is they brought that one from California to Cheyenne to rebuild. There is another Big Boy in a park roughly a mile from the steam shop that rebuilt the one from California. Guess the one in the park needed more work.

#7 ·
The rail museum people in California took very good care of 4014. I heard on You Tube that they kept its bearings well lubed all these years.

It's still a steam locomotive but the heat source is no longer coal but diesel fuel.

Rick

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

#9 ·
My wife took our son while it was in Marshall, Texas. He was ecstatic as train buff.

Reactions: LeoP
#10 ·
We do have a pretty awesome museum Here in Sacramento. The California Railroad Museum has some really nice exhibits. I don't recall the date, but once a year the city has a free museum day where you can visit no charge. I have lived here for 19 yrs, and have been to the RR museum at least 10 times. Terry

#11 ·
I was able to see Bigboy when it came through Southern Mn earlier this summer. I was parked on a side road just south of Owatonna when it came past. Shear size and power of that engine is just awesome!! It was pulling 2 other diesel locos and several passenger cars. Didn't even seem to be working all that hard.

#13 ·
I'm curious about its max Mach number . . . Lol. That thing could fly if it wanted to.

Standing on the railroad overpass in Marshall, Texas that day when Big Boy passed underneath instantly turned my wife into a locomotive enthusiast. She understands now.

Rick

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

#14 ·
The same shop that revived 4014 also did 3985. When they rolled out 4014, 3985 went with it.
Here is a clip of little brother 3985 cruising across Nebraska, it s running around 80mph. When it was a mainline engine it typically ran in the 90-100 mph range across the flats.

#16 ·
The same shop that revived 4014 also did 3985. When they rolled out 4014, 3985 went with it.
They also did the UP844 which is the only steam locomotive left in the country in revenue service.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.