Large Wheel Stupidity... - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 19, 8:32 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage
Large Wheel Stupidity...

GM design boss says that 26" wheels are coming. There has a be a point at which they realize the stupidity of such large wheels.

https://www.motor1.com/news/381917/b...els-coming-gm/
Kirk's67SS likes this.

1971 Malibu, factory buckets/full gauges/console, 377 roller cammed small block, Turbo 400, 3.42 10 bolt posi (Buick), - All your base are belong to us.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Chevelle w/ open headers:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Chevelle w/ 2.5 pipes + X crossover/18 inch glass packs:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 19, 8:49 PM
Gold Member

Re: Large Wheel Stupidity...

I think I see the problem here. When the appearance of the wheel is more important than the function it is time to call a time out. The people that do the design (aka styling) do not care one bit about the function.
When I worked at Chrysler we had to cancel floor shift manual transmissions in certain cars because the interior design prima donnas insisted on a center console that was so tall that there was no room for an arm above it. This is the same mentality that gave us the looks of the 1959/60 Chevy wings.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 19, 10:16 PM
Senior Tech Team

It all depends on the car. Many cars come with 20” wheels from the factory, 15 to 20 years ago who would have thought they would look good.

Steve R
BMR Sales and shovelrick like this.
post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 19, 10:18 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

How many wheel options were there in 1969 and has anyone invented that damn time machine I commissioned yet?

And while I'm at it- GET OFF MY LAWN!
shovelrick and Tophog like this.

70 Camino...Roller

69 Malibu Stock 307, Reverse Manual TH350, 4,500 Stall Edge Converter, 4.56 Spool 35 Spline 12 Bolt

76 C20 VortecPro 496 628HP 655 lb/ft TH400 Edge Converter, 4.10 14 bolt
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 19, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
It all depends on the car. Many cars come with 20” wheels from the factory, 15 to 20 years ago who would have thought they would look good.

Steve R
At a certain point, the super large wheels are counterproductive. They won't have any semblance of ride quality and they will be more susceptible to damage from pot holes, etc. It truly is out of control and unnecessary.
TerryAT and Kirk's67SS like this.

1971 Malibu, factory buckets/full gauges/console, 377 roller cammed small block, Turbo 400, 3.42 10 bolt posi (Buick), - All your base are belong to us.

My Chevelle w/ open headers:

My Chevelle w/ 2.5 pipes + X crossover/18 inch glass packs:

post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 19, 10:48 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Red face Re: Large Wheel Stupidity...

I drove over a curb on accident in my wife's Acura that has 20" wheels and curb-rashed both wheels on the passenger side. If I had been in one of my hoopties it would've left a scuff on a tire sidewall at worst.

I guess the target demographic for these cars is less easily distracted.

Side note- she put new tires on yesterday. Almost 70,000 on the original tires. I'm lucky to get 10,000 on most of my cars.
Kirk's67SS and shovelrick like this.

70 Camino...Roller

69 Malibu Stock 307, Reverse Manual TH350, 4,500 Stall Edge Converter, 4.56 Spool 35 Spline 12 Bolt

post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 19, 11:07 PM
Senior Tech Team
jeff

Model A 1929 had 21" wheels and it looked right.
I do not care for those heavy new rims though.
Get the weight down on them and I may like them better.
Rims that weigh over 50 lbs is just ridiculous.
shovelrick likes this.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 19, 11:12 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bruce

Location: White Bear Lake, a northeast suburb of St. Paul, MinneSNOWta
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakkoWarner View Post
GM design boss says that 26" wheels are coming. There has a be a point at which they realize the stupidity of such large wheels.

https://www.motor1.com/news/381917/b...els-coming-gm/
The author of that piece makes the error of calling GM's future offerings "cars." There are few, if any "cars" in GM's future - no Camaros, no Impalas, few Malibus. Large(r) diameter wheels will look acceptable on SUVs and trucks because they will be styled for the discs.

I'm holding out for factory spinners!

Our You Tube Vids:

post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 19, 12:33 AM
Senior Tech Team
Lang

Garage

Having 17" wheels on my Silverado, I don't see the point. Other than ride quality which I'm not sure would be different with 15" wheels, I do see a significant difference in price. When my Silverado eventually needs tires, I have a spare set of 15's I'm going to see if I can match up OD....I can easily install the TPMS sensors...Time will tell.

Ideas are like children: there are none so wonderful as your own.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 19, 7:34 AM
Senior Tech Team

cars today are so oversized they almost need giant hoops. Not for me
boyd66k20, Kirk's67SS and p40 like this.

Quote:
This post is a duplicate of a post that you have posted in the last five minutes.

post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 19, 10:09 AM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuisinartvette View Post
cars today are so oversized they almost need giant hoops. Not for me
Amen to that.

The pickup trucks are beyond big today. On the highway when they are behind you the view in the rear view mirror is the same as the view that was formerly reseved only for TRACTOR TRAILERS that were taligating. As with the wheel sizes mentioned in the article I don't get the trend to big (huge?) just for the sake of big that has apparently infected the auto designers. Maybe it is inevitable when they try to combine a 4 door sedan, a luxury car interior, a four wheel drive vehicle and a long bed pickup truck into one vehicle?

Soccer moms routinely driving Escalades or other such GM badged battle ships, another hot button for me. Some seem big enough to load a refridgerator or a coffin into the back. They have it because they "need the room for the kids", they "can see better" ( from 10 feet off the ground?) or they are "safer for the family". Yeah right...I guess. The justification list is endless. They must have 10 kids or a background in the Army driving a M1A1. Pickup trucks so long they stick out into the driving lane of parking garages. Pickups that NEVER seem to be hauling anything in the back and are rarely occupied by more than one person.

Mrs. "O" says I sound like my father did. That is a bad thing to say about someone but in this case so be it. Now, as was said before, " Get off my lawn".
71350SS, Kirk's67SS and shovelrick like this.
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 19, 10:20 AM
Senior Tech Team
"The Stig"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWagner View Post
This is the same mentality that gave us the looks of the 1959/60 Chevy wings.
But the wings were cool, and driven by a culture that was fascinated with space travel, flying, and technological innovation.

The culture fascinated with 26" wheels is not something I think we should be striving for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff swisher View Post
That's a great point. The 21" wheels were even smaller diameter than the cars that came before it. 23" wheels were standard equipment on the Model Ts (24" in front on the real early ones)

Quote:
Originally Posted by langss View Post
Having 17" wheels on my Silverado, I don't see the point. Other than ride quality which I'm not sure would be different with 15" wheels, I do see a significant difference in price. When my Silverado eventually needs tires, I have a spare set of 15's I'm going to see if I can match up OD....I can easily install the TPMS sensors...Time will tell.
My previous 2000 Silverado had 16" wheels, and my current 2011 Silverado has 17". I had a snow tires on an extra set of 16" wheels that I intended to use on the new truck, but they wouldn't clear the brakes. I couldn't put anything smaller than 17" on it, but my truck has max-towing package with heavy-duty brakes.
Oldcarsnbikes and 69SHEVL like this.

Derek Kiefer, member of Minnesota's

-
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 19, 10:34 AM
Tech Team
John

Quote:
I would imagine that the size of the wheels in the 20’s had a lot to do with the terrain in which they were used. Hard to roll a small wheel over what passed as “roads” back then.
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 19, 10:36 AM
Tech Team
John

Quote:
I would imagine that the size of the wheels in the 20’s had a lot to do with the terrain in which they were used. Hard to roll a small wheel over what passed as “roads” back then.

For the record I don’t like large wheels on anything, 17 is my max. Anything larger looks donk.
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 19, 11:03 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

I will admit that I don't mind as much when a larger wheel is needed to clear bigger brakes. There is a function behind it. But when you look through holes or slots in a wheel and there's a mile between the brakes and the wheel I take issue. My wife's car has 20s and could get by with 18s. Problem is we couldn't get the package she wanted without the larger wheels.

Whatever, it's her car and she loves it. But there's a reason she drives a brand new car and my newest vehicle is a 1990 Toyota truck, and it's not because we can't afford two new cars...

70 Camino...Roller

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in