Large Wheel Stupidity... - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 19, 11:04 AM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage
Re: Large Wheel Stupidity...

I knew the guy that started all this back in the 50s when he drove his 41 Ford to high school with 21" wheels on it.

It seems to me like there are a lot of Chevelle owners that want their Chevelles to look like they have dump truck tires on the rear, so they will look like race cars when they are not really race cars.
Kirk's67SS likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 19, 11:08 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by oman View Post
Amen to that.

The pickup trucks are beyond big today. On the highway when they are behind you the view in the rear view mirror is the same as the view that was formerly reseved only for TRACTOR TRAILERS that were taligating. As with the wheel sizes mentioned in the article I don't get the trend to big (huge?) just for the sake of big that has apparently infected the auto designers. Maybe it is inevitable when they try to combine a 4 door sedan, a luxury car interior, a four wheel drive vehicle and a long bed pickup truck into one vehicle?

Soccer moms routinely driving Escalades or other such GM badged battle ships, another hot button for me. Some seem big enough to load a refridgerator or a coffin into the back. They have it because they "need the room for the kids", they "can see better" ( from 10 feet off the ground?) or they are "safer for the family". Yeah right...I guess. The justification list is endless. They must have 10 kids or a background in the Army driving a M1A1. Pickup trucks so long they stick out into the driving lane of parking garages. Pickups that NEVER seem to be hauling anything in the back and are rarely occupied by more than one person.

Mrs. "O" says I sound like my father did. That is a bad thing to say about someone but in this case so be it. Now, as was said before, " Get off my lawn".
Herd mentality and "keepin' up with the Joneses"
post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 19, 1:43 PM
Senior Tech Team
Lang

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek69SS View Post

My previous 2000 Silverado had 16" wheels, and my current 2011 Silverado has 17". I had a snow tires on an extra set of 16" wheels that I intended to use on the new truck, but they wouldn't clear the brakes. I couldn't put anything smaller than 17" on it, but my truck has max-towing package with heavy-duty brakes.
Thanks for the Reminder.....I had forgotten about that. At least I can try them with them not fitting in mind.

Ideas are like children: there are none so wonderful as your own.
post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 19, 1:56 PM
Senior Tech Team
Hank

Garage

Well you know who you can blame for this big wheel phenomenal, just hope they don't go to the next step and make them start jumping around.
Kirk's67SS and shovelrick like this.

71 Malibu, Cottonwood Green, 396 BBC, AutoGear M22W 4 speed, 12 bolt 3:55 posi.
post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 19, 12:05 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKalin View Post
Well you know who you can blame for this big wheel phenomenal, just hope they don't go to the next step and make them start jumping around.
Oh heck most of those jumping cars here are MUCH nicer than the "muscle cars" around here. They are always primered black or grey junk boxes.
post #21 of 37 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 19, 12:55 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage

I remember in 1970 my Gmother bought a 69 cougar eliminator with factory wide ovals 14"? 15"? but my Gfather hated the tires said you could feel every bump in the road and had regular tires installed ( I was 10 don't know size) and he was happy, when I bought my new 09 ram it had 17" wheels, I had 305/45 r22" wheels put on it and ride quality sucked, now I have 285/50 r22" and the rides good, I don't like oversized wheels on most cars but SUVs & trucks as long as they ride good I'm fine with it, low sidewalls are great for twisty roads but for a smooth ride you need some sidewall IMO, waiting for a holiday sale for some 275/50 r17" or 305/45 r17" for the rear of my Chevelle, I think wide tires that fill the rear wheel wells on these cars look great , 24" & 26" on new trucks/SUVs ? on ours NO WAY
71350SS likes this.

post #22 of 37 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 19, 4:24 PM
Tech Team

Garage

IMHO, old school 15's on muscle cars look proportionally correct. The sidewall looks like a tire too and not a rubber band.
Now, GTFOMLawn cause I'm hunting night crawlers and going fishing.

66 SS-396/425 - M22 -3:73 -12 bolt
USN-SSBN 645-G
post #23 of 37 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 19, 5:21 PM
Senior Tech Team
Claude

Quote:
Originally Posted by oman View Post
Soccer moms routinely driving Escalades or other such GM badged battle ships, another hot button for me. Some seem big enough to load a refridgerator or a coffin into the back. They have it because they "need the room for the kids", they "can see better" ( from 10 feet off the ground?) or they are "safer for the family". Yeah right...I guess.

Mrs. "O" says I sound like my father did. That is a bad thing to say about someone but in this case so be it. Now, as was said before, " Get off my lawn".
"oman", I drive a Ford F350 dually and sorry to say but the "Need the room for the kids", "can see better" and "safer for the family" arguments are true, especially the third one. I know for a fact that being in a big vehicle increases your chances of not getting hurt in the event of an accident. In 1998, I had the misfortune of being involved a head-on collision with my previous dually and I was really thankful I didn't get hurt. Unfortunately the driver of the other vehicle was not so lucky and died at the hospital…. So in my case, I say "YES" to all three statements above. I drive my dually only when needed but not everyday as I have a '19 Edge which is my daily driver.

Claude.

P.S: What's with that "get off my lawn" thing??…Sorry but I don't get it...

1971 Chevelle SS
1987 Buick Grand National 9.48 @ 142 mph
post #24 of 37 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 19, 5:44 PM
Tech Team
Greg

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fPF4fBGNK0U

If anyone out there still thinks bigger is better in the event of a crash, the old stuff is a death trap in a collision when compared to the new vehicles.
yelchevelle likes this.

Life is too short for caring about every bodies else's stuff
post #25 of 37 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 19, 6:43 PM
Senior Tech Team

Not surprised. Look what they did to the Blazer. Ive lost all hope in GM. Ill go with a Tacoma next

Mike Smith
72 Chevelle, LS 6.0 LQ9 4l80e
post #26 of 37 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 19, 7:06 PM
Team Member
Chris

Claude, here you go:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/You_...Popularization
The description of the phrase is exactly as I thought. However I had no idea it originally came from David Letterman

Me, I don't care for the big wheel trend, especially with trucks. IMO, a good looking and good performing 4x4 needs sidewall. Lots of it.

It's too bad that my f150 came with 20s....I don't like them or want them. The dealer would not trade down to 18s for me, despite the fact that the 20s were a $1000 option. I didnt even want the money, I offered to trade straight up! I'm looking forward to when I need new tires, as I plan to put on some used Raptor 17s, and sell the 20s.

I wI'll say though, the 20s do handle tight compared to the balooney 16s on my old truck. Nice for camper pulling as they are more sway resistant. Aside from that, nothing else is good IMO.
post #27 of 37 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 19, 9:08 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Garage

They're probably just getting everyone used to them so they can eventually build electric cars with a large rotor/stator - motor/wheel arrangement on each corner. Kinda like how a new washing machine works. Electric motor at each wheel. Watching cars change over the years, it's all about evolution, and there's usually a plan driving the design beyond just aesthetic styling.
shovelrick likes this.

post #28 of 37 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 19, 9:47 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ69chevelle View Post
Electric motor at each wheel. Watching cars change over the years, it's all about evolution, and there's usually a plan driving the design beyond just aesthetic styling.
Ding, ding, ding! Light bulb just came on. 26" wheels are all part of AOC's Green New Deal.....

Now I suppose this thread will have to be moved to CE.....
ZZ69chevelle and shovelrick like this.

When I works, I works hard.
When I sits, I sits loose.
When I thinks, I falls asleep.

The '68 L79 Malibu survivor as found in Nov. 2014, in my profile pic.
post #29 of 37 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 19, 8:39 AM
Team Member
Chris

https://electrek.co/2019/11/21/gm-el...uck-sale-2021/

And this might be where GM is going to start using the 26ers..... take a look at the first pic! Ugh.
Greg P likes this.
post #30 of 37 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 19, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulb122 View Post
https://electrek.co/2019/11/21/gm-el...uck-sale-2021/

And this might be where GM is going to start using the 26ers..... take a look at the first pic! Ugh.
That's not a truck - at all. They better get serious, or Rivian and Tesla (well, maybe not Tesla now that I have seen that hideous thing they are calling a truck) will leave them in the dust. That thing looks like a stretched Honda Ridgeline - not a truck.

1971 Malibu, factory buckets/full gauges/console, 377 roller cammed small block, Turbo 400, 3.42 10 bolt posi (Buick), - All your base are belong to us.

My Chevelle w/ open headers:

My Chevelle w/ 2.5 pipes + X crossover/18 inch glass packs:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in