Ever sold something to someone knowing they have no business with it - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 19, 8:45 PM Thread Starter
Gold Founding Member
Ron

Ever sold something to someone knowing they have no business with it

I sold a 700r4 trans to a guy, he has no idea how to set it up or that the driveshaft will need shortened, and from the pics of his car that he showed me I think the trans is worth more than his car. He paid me half and will pay me the rest next week. Im having second thoughts about selling it to him. I know if he doesn't set it up correctly it will burn up and he will blame me. I showed him how to set it up and gave him all the brackets that go with it but I have my doubts.
BTW I still have the trans until he pays me the rest.
HKalin likes this.

70 Chevelle SS396 (496) Straub roller, 700r4
69 Malibu convertible (sold)
95 Z28 Convertible T56 6 speed
TC #54 Gold

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 19, 9:13 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage
Re: Ever sold something to someone knowing they have no business with

I'd firmly explain to set it up correctly or it wont last so take your time and double check everything, No Refunds
BTW sold a TEC 9 and told the guy don't use steel jackets, you guessed it and of course the "you sold me a bad..." lol, No Refunds
NickeyChevelle likes this.

post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 19, 10:23 PM
Senior Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to Jim Mac

I was selling a honda 185s three wheeler
lady brings a 10 year old kid and has him sit on it
I asked who was the trike for, and was told for the 10 year old! I told her thanks but the trike isnt for sale. I explained that the kid wasn't big enough and I knew the kid would get hurt. lady was upset, even told me she had the cash to buy it right then. I still said no
jim
Dean, LeoP, davewho1 and 7 others like this.

Jim

70 chevelle, SS clone 454 4 speed
71 camaro. (owned since 1978!) 6-71 blown small block 400
66 chevelle 350 4 speed 3.55 12 bolt
66 el camino 350 th350 parts hauler
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 19, 10:59 PM
Senior Tech Team

Send the guy an email or text clearly explaining how to set it up. It will likely give you some protection.

Steve R
ZZ69chevelle, augy and shovelrick like this.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 19, 8:32 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

It may not mean much, but you could have the buyer sign a receipt stating the tranny is sold "as is" and may need modification to fit his application. Or something like that. Lets you off the hook.
1966_L78, Steve R, 71350SS and 3 others like this.

When I works, I works hard.
When I sits, I sits loose.
When I thinks, I falls asleep.

The '68 L79 Malibu survivor as found in Nov. 2014, in my profile pic.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 19, 12:35 PM
Tech Team
Gary

Garage

Another way to protect yourself, is to thoroughly go over it with him again when he comes to pick it up, but this time record the conversation so there's no doubt that he was told. Obviously, check your local laws, here in MI. it is ok to record a conversation as long as at least one party being recorded is privy to the recording.

Oh, and if you're not sure about the law on this in TN., I can get that for you, I know a retired general sessions judge down there in Pulaski.

Gary

(oo_____oo)
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 19, 12:45 PM
Tech Team
David

I had a 2000 Victory that I put enough money into (don't ask but it was a lot) that it ran in the 11s. When I bought a new Harley they wouldn't take it on trade, had it for sale for almost a year, ended up selling it for less than I had in the engine. Some kid bought it, I had to load it in his pickup. Never saw him again. I've always wondered.....

later, dozer

"Look Stock and carry a Big Block"
Raube Wan
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 19, 12:47 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bruce

Location: White Bear Lake, a northeast suburb of St. Paul, MinneSNOWta
Garage

Regrets-wise, I sold my really quick and highly modified '70 SS to a "kid (I was all of 21 at the time)." I doubt he could handle it and I suspect he cracked it up, but that's the way of the world.

I know the kid who bought The Wife's Z-28 smashed it up. Oh well, life goes on.

Our You Tube Vids:

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 19, 2:05 PM
Senior Tech Team
Chris

My uncle sold his 1986 Iroc Camaro (remember when those were "fast cars") to one of his son's friends. Car was wrapped around a pole a week later.

1969 Beaumont

1977 Bronco

The rest are boring responsible adult vehicles not worth mentioning.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 19, 5:36 PM
Tech Team
John

Garage

We've all seen the big rigs that haul race cars around. S&S Welding, Greenwood, NE, makes some big ones, mainly for dirt racers, but will do whatever you like. Anyway, I was over there, either picking up or ordering my new trailer from them. Guy was telling me how some rich old dude, ordered a brand new conversion on a brand new chassis, over $400k just for the truck part, no trailer. Had the best of everything, cherry and quartz, on and on. He showed up to drive it home, had no idea how to drive one, 18 speed, 550hp. They showed him a few things, he jumped in and away he went. Sounded crazy to me, that's for sure. He just wanted to use it to go camping I was told...lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	23621350_359155724554763_3250315842525486180_n.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	607922  
shovelrick likes this.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 19, 6:22 PM
Senior Tech Team
Hank

Garage

A friend of mine had a 68 Chevelle SS that was pretty quick back in the day. He had taken his father out in it quite a few times and showed the car no mercy. Well he ended up getting drafted and put the car up for sale. When a kid came to look at it and bought it his father said I hope you can handle it, it's really a quick car. About 2 weeks later the kid hit a bridge abutment head on with the drivers side and got killed in it.

71 Malibu, Cottonwood Green, 396 BBC, AutoGear M22W 4 speed, 12 bolt 3:55 posi.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 19, 9:39 PM
Senior Tech Team
Terry

I think this could turn out bad for either of you. Buying a transmission or engine not in a car, to a stranger is a gamble for the buyer. Im using your situation as a scenario, but NOT saying the trans is bad, BUT someone could possibly sell a bad transmission saying it needs hooked up right or there will be problems. Say he then does hook it up correctly and finds it bad(which in my example the seller already knows). Then it turns into a battle for one guy said it was good, but must of been hooked up incorrectly. And the other says he hooked it up correctly, so the trans. was bad from the start.I think it could turn into a quick mess. Unless it was sold for core price, since thats what people here generally price something untested. Just my thoughts. Hope it does indeed turn out well for you!
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 19, 10:08 PM
Senior Tech Team
Steve

Sell it with a signed bill of sale, describing the item sold, the amount paid and also marked "as-is with no warranty or guarantee expressed or implied." Print 2 copies, one for each of you, and you both sign each and each keep a copy.

Done and done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryAT View Post
I think this could turn out bad for either of you. Buying a transmission or engine not in a car, to a stranger is a gamble for the buyer. Im using your situation as a scenario, but NOT saying the trans is bad, BUT someone could possibly sell a bad transmission saying it needs hooked up right or there will be problems. Say he then does hook it up correctly and finds it bad(which in my example the seller already knows). Then it turns into a battle for one guy said it was good, but must of been hooked up incorrectly. And the other says he hooked it up correctly, so the trans. was bad from the start.I think it could turn into a quick mess. Unless it was sold for core price, since thats what people here generally price something untested. Just my thoughts. Hope it does indeed turn out well for you!
shovelrick likes this.

1972 Chevelle, 454, 200-4r non-lockup, 12 bolt 3.73
1981 Camaro Z28, 355, TH350, 3.73
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 19, 12:40 AM
Senior Tech Team
Lang

Garage

This is my reply from a post Jim made a week or so ago....

Oh yes!!!! I was selling a 74 Corvette. I simply got tired of fixing 10yrs of previous owner/s neglect. I got several calls and lookyloos, but only two actual money offers. I provided a detailed list of what I felt the car needed, which if one was willing/able to do the work themselves, was not a giant deal. I called both parties and let them know that who ever showed up with the amount first, gets the car. I should have know better than to sell the car to someone that showed up to test drive the car dressed like he was going to the local "Disco".... complete with the Gold Chains and Platform Shoes......but he left me a large percentage of the price, and the other interested party just kept calling, telling me he was still interested. The day he showed up with the "Balance", again I went over the list, pointing out that a few thing were sooner than later, but most important....The Car Had To Be In Reverse, When You Turned The Key Off. The car was only gone two days and the phone calls started. I got so tired of him calling, I finally offered to take the car back and give him back the money, but he was not happy with that, so I just stopped answering the phone. Never Again.

Ideas are like children: there are none so wonderful as your own.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 19, 2:24 AM
Senior Tech Team

Put it in writing. Have him sign a bill of sale with the statement that he understands that if it's not set up correctly, transmission failure will result.
shovelrick likes this.

A man with an experience will never be at the mercy of a man with an argument.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in