Official 0-60 & 1/4 Mile Times 2020 Corvette... - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 19, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage
Official 0-60 & 1/4 Mile Times 2020 Corvette...

Chevrolet has released the official 0-60 and 1/4 mile times for the 2020 Corvette:

https://www.automobilemag.com/news/2...er-mile-times/

1971 Malibu, factory buckets/full gauges/console, 377 roller cammed small block, Turbo 400, 3.42 10 bolt posi (Buick), - All your base are belong to us.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Chevelle w/ open headers:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Chevelle w/ 2.5 pipes + X crossover/18 inch glass packs:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 19, 11:19 PM
Senior Tech Team

Re: Official 0-60 & 1/4 Mile Times 2020 Corvette...

That’s pretty fast. Don’t expect the typical owner to get within 1/2 second of that time in “as delivered” from the showroom configuration.

Steve R

Last edited by Steve R; Nov 7th, 19 at 11:21 PM. Reason: Z
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 19, 6:47 AM
von
Lifetime Founding Member
Von

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
That’s pretty fast. Don’t expect the typical owner to get within 1/2 second of that time in “as delivered” from the showroom configuration.

Steve R
Probably depends a lot on the traction (surface type and prep) and atmospheric conditions (density altitude). With the electronic aids such as launch control and the dual clutch automatic trans, the driver wouldn't play near as big a role as in the past.

von '69 Malibu Team Chevelle Member #15
[img]

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 19, 6:58 AM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

Dang that is impressive. I can't find an official weight, and I don't think it is light either. I did see it is around 3600 pounds.
T&T Traction and Transmission does wonders. I know my Scat Pack Challenger with the 8sp auto is phenomenal, but that Vette looks like it would easily handle even the 1320 Challengers. It is pushing a bit less air, and hundreds of pounds lighter, but I'm still impressed. And it is "reasonably" affordable.

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 19, 11:59 AM
von
Lifetime Founding Member
Von

The 60% of weight on the rear of the C8 Vette really helps traction too.

[img]

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 19, 12:10 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jim

Quicker 123 mph or should it be a faster 123 mph. Just nitpicking, yea it's fast & quick.

Jim

77 Monte
421 Profilers ported by Eric Weingartner, Straub HR 3200 conv. from Jake 200-4r w/ 3.73's
Machine work by Torvinen's machine
11.93 @ 112.7 & tuning
67 Imp.SS for the wife 275 hp 327-TH350
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 19, 12:23 PM
Senior Tech Team
Chris

Quote:

Steve R
I would guess it has a launch control. All these performance cars have launch control now making them easy as can be to launch and drive. That's why so many people look like super star drivers now days, the computers are doing all the work. I think the only thing that keeps people from not running similar times is weather and track conditions.

1971 Chevelle SS454, T56 Magnum 6 speed, 3.31 Posi

Youtube Channel.

Instagram:

Twitter:
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 19, 12:43 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by -SS454- View Post
I would guess it has a launch control. All these performance cars have launch control now making them easy as can be to launch and drive. That's why so many people look like super star drivers now days, the computers are doing all the work. I think the only thing that keeps people from not running similar times is weather and track conditions.
It doesn’t work that way. Many of these “aids” are difficult to use since they have to be turned on in a specific sequence. The beginner doesn’t understand how to use them. In many cases it takes a couple of dozen runs to get the hang of it. Up until a few months ago I was at every Wednesday night and weekend bracket race at the local track, either working or racing. I several friends have with dedicated race cars have brought out these types of cars, several bought Hellcats, ZR1 corvette’s it usually takes them a few weeks to get the hang of them. Your average owner without a racing experience doesn’t have a clue as to what they are doing. The have read a few forums and tests and think they can duplicate those results, when they can’t many aren’t coming back. I’ve seen it many times. Those that figure it out, conveniently usually don’t bother to tell anyone how long it took.

Steve R
mr 4 speed likes this.

Last edited by Steve R; Nov 8th, 19 at 12:47 PM. Reason: Z
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 19, 1:29 PM
Senior Tech Team
Chris

Quote:
It doesn’t work that way. Many of these “aids” are difficult to use since they have to be turned on in a specific sequence. The beginner doesn’t understand how to use them. In many cases it takes a couple of dozen runs to get the hang of it. Up until a few months ago I was at every Wednesday night and weekend bracket race at the local track, either working or racing. I several friends have with dedicated race cars have brought out these types of cars, several bought Hellcats, ZR1 corvette’s it usually takes them a few weeks to get the hang of them. Your average owner without a racing experience doesn’t have a clue as to what they are doing. The have read a few forums and tests and think they can duplicate those results, when they can’t many aren’t coming back. I’ve seen it many times. Those that figure it out, conveniently usually don’t bother to tell anyone how long it took.

Steve R
I suppose the sequencing can be a bit complicated. The new GT500s seems a bit overkill. But once you are in launch control, just foot to the floor and let the car do all the work.

As for Hellcats and Demons. Real world hasn't seemed to replicate the magazine tests at all haha.

1971 Chevelle SS454, T56 Magnum 6 speed, 3.31 Posi

Youtube Channel.

Instagram:

Twitter:
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 19, 2:12 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:

As for Hellcats and Demons. Real world hasn't seemed to replicate the magazine tests at all haha.
A few years back,I spanked a Demon pretty bad at the track and it wasn't his first or second outing racing the car either. I also beat brand new 392 Challengers and Corvettes easily too.
Be interesting to see how the new Corvette does at the track with a good driver.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cclvddodge.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	206.6 KB
ID:	607348  

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 19, 3:09 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Quote:
I suppose the sequencing can be a bit complicated. The new GT500s seems a bit overkill. But once you are in launch control, just foot to the floor and let the car do all the work.

Was talking with a friend last night who own's a Demon. A week ago he ran 9.75 at 138 or something. Lighter wheels and drag radials.
He weighs more than the "magazine" original 9.65 driver and thee weather conditions were better for the "original" given they also had the Demon "Engineering team" present for all testing PLUS special track prep so it's possible to duplicate.

'66 SS Chevelle
565 BBC Mamofied 300cc Ovals
4.11 12 bolt
Best e.t. to date [email protected] @115.31
1.315 60'
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 19, 3:20 PM
von
Lifetime Founding Member
Von

How to use 2020 Corvette launch control:
  1. Put the car in drive
  2. Adjust the Performance Traction Management (PTM) system to “Track” mode
  3. Hit the ESC off button twice
  4. A PTM prompt will appear on the dash asking which mode to select (Wet, Dry, Sport I, Sport II and Race); any mode will work, but Race will have the least traction control intervention.
  5. Put your left foot down on the brake pedal
  6. Floor the accelerator pedal with your right foot
  7. Build engine RPM to 3,500
  8. Lift off the brake pedal and launch

[img]

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 19, 3:39 PM
Tech Team
Bill

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by von View Post
  1. Put the car in drive
  4. A PTM prompt will appear on the dash asking which mode to select (Wet, Dry, Sport I, Sport II and Race); any mode will work, but Race will have the least traction control intervention.
By the time you do all of that, I will be waiting for you at the next traffic light with my slower car.
mr 4 speed, Derek69SS and OLDED like this.

1969 Sport Coupe SS Tribute Cortez Silver 454 400TH
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 19, 1:02 AM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by von View Post
  1. Put the car in drive
I see inexperienced drivers having trouble doing all of that between the water box and the stage light. Even under ideal circumstances new/inexperienced drivers feel rushed. Just stand by the starting line when the street classes are running, it’s easy to pick out the beginners, which is a large percentage of the field. There is no way most of the people with these cars will get it “right” the first few times they run their car.

My local track only runs races, they don’t have room on the schedule for T&T’s or grudge nights. A couple of guys I know, one with a Charger Hellcat and another with a 2016 Mustang GT, stopped running those cars because they felt they were at a competitive disadvantage due to the unnecessary complexity. They both said it was hard to stay focused and mistakes were too easy to make. They had slightly older cars with less bells and whistles they had been racing before and switched back to running them.

Steve R
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 19, 7:36 AM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

I have a Challenger Scat Pack (392) and it has launch control, and while I've never used it other than playing around, from my experience in it, and my 5.7 Charger that I had with it, on the street it is useless (for pure accel times). You can control the car better yourself by vastly reducing power, but it is easier to just hammer down and let the car do the work instead of sitting in a smoke show, but you have to practice and choose your RPM limit before hand.
I assume... That with real tires on the strip, it may help a lot, but I bet good experienced drivers with practice (not me!) on the strip will still be better off controlling the throttle on their own. Now cars like the Demon are a different beast entirely with line lock, trans brake, torque reserve, all kinds of ECM voodoo going on to help the launch, but I'll never be in one of those let alone drive one in anger.
FWIW, my car should be able to run mid 12s at mid 110s MPH, and mid 4s 0-60. I assume the only number of those 3 that I can realistically expect to easily achieve is the MPH number, that is pure HP, not launching skill.
The 1320s are the same car, same drivetrain, but with some Demon launch voodoo, and drag spec tires... and they shave off over a half second, but MPH is basically the same.
You guys that can repeatedly launch your cars CONSISTENTLY with wheels in the air truly impress me.

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in