Chevrolet Performance SP383 EFI.... - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By WakkoWarner

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 19, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage
Chevrolet Performance SP383 EFI....

Chevrolet Performance introduced a new crate engine. It is the SP383 EFI:

https://www.motorious.com/articles/n...w-crate-engine
Steve R likes this.

1971 Malibu, factory buckets/full gauges/console, 377 roller cammed small block, Turbo 400, 3.42 10 bolt posi (Buick), - All your base are belong to us.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Chevelle w/ open headers:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Chevelle w/ 2.5 pipes + X crossover/18 inch glass packs:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 19, 12:28 PM
Tech Team
Dennis

Garage
re: Chevrolet Performance SP383 EFI....

Looks good. Canít find pricing yet.

66 Chevelle hardtop - LFX 3.6 liter V6/6L50 6 speed auto trans, 3.07 10 bolt, full Hotchkis suspension, Wilwood 4 wheel discs, white with red interior, cowl hood.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 19, 12:42 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Eugene

I'm surprised they would build something like this with so many going to the LS engines. Most of GM's crate engines are junk so I don't think this will be anything different.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 19, 1:01 PM
Tech Team
Dennis

Garage

Iíve never heard bad things about Chevrolet crate engines. Do you have any experience you can share?

66 Chevelle hardtop - LFX 3.6 liter V6/6L50 6 speed auto trans, 3.07 10 bolt, full Hotchkis suspension, Wilwood 4 wheel discs, white with red interior, cowl hood.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 19, 1:25 PM
Tech Team
grr

The racing 602 and 604 crate engines are very reliable and very rarely blow up, unless you are doing something wrong...

grr

grr
Build Thread

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 19, 1:34 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Eugene

I have seen a number of problems. Junk parts, tolerances all over the place, bores that were not even close to round. For the price that GM charges you can get a custom built engine from some of the guys here that are much better.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 19, 2:13 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67_LS1 View Post
Looks good. Canít find pricing yet.
The ZZ6 EFI is $7,658, so I am presuming that the SP3838 EFI will be north of that. The SP383 with no carburetor or ignition is $6,818. I would be interested in hearing one and seeing how it runs.

1971 Malibu, factory buckets/full gauges/console, 377 roller cammed small block, Turbo 400, 3.42 10 bolt posi (Buick), - All your base are belong to us.

My Chevelle w/ open headers:

My Chevelle w/ 2.5 pipes + X crossover/18 inch glass packs:

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 19, 7:58 AM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage
Re: Chevrolet Performance SP383 EFI....

Yep, looks interesting, but price will be way up there, then you need to wait and find out what the actual street price will be.
I know when we got our ZZ4 (1997?) prices were rising, and local dealers wanted over $3,500, we drove to Jim Pace Pontiac in Ohio (at the time) and got it for $2,800, no tax either. Street prices vary a good bit.
Another GM powertrain I looked at is their LTG 4cyl turbo. I thought that would be an interesting swap into the El Camino. But at well over $7,000 (maybe it was over $8,000?), nah, nevermind.
Funny thing, I don't even think they care.
https://www.chevrolet.com/performance/crate-engines
First engine listed, I clicked on it, and "Page not found"

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 19, 6:58 PM
Tech Team

That's kind of interesting sing the single plane intake with the 4bbl throttle body after all the GM F.I. intakes they have made over the years. Guess the Ram Jet stuff was not a good seller and the BBC one stuck out of a lot of hoods. Looks like a nice street setup.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 19, 8:38 PM
Senior Tech Team

Aren't GM crate engines assembled in Mexico?

I'm also of the opinion that these "performance crate engines" from Chevrolet Performance can be poorly put together and are too expensive.

And yeah, with how good the LS engines are and the wealth of products to make them fit into anything, I consider a gen 1 small block a step backwards. Today it's a stout LS engine or a big big block.

LS1tech.com supermoderator.
How may I help you?
1971 Monte Carlo SS454-496ci 600hp
1999 Trans Am-500hp
2003 Iszu Ascender XL Limited V8
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 5:40 PM
Senior Tech Team

If one tried to duplicate it they would spend more than that. Remember everything is brand new.

Quote:
This post is a duplicate of a post that you have posted in the last five minutes.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Today, 3:38 PM

i have two gm performance engines one in my chevelle 383 450 hp 450 tg and one in my 55 chev gasser 572 620 hp both have been great performance wise and had a zz4 430 hp in the chevelle 1st sold that to my friend for his nova and he loves it never heard of any problems with them
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in