Home audio stuff - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By Gene McGill
  • 1 Post By bry66

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 19, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dan

Garage
Home audio stuff

My home audio stuff is circa me just getting out of college, so its really garage worthy at this point.

Im looking for something that i can plug my tv into for sound, 4-8 speakers, and do bluethooth. Is having a CD player on this item too much to ask for as well? I am pretty out of the loop on this newer tech, and i am kind of unhappy as to how sloppy my current setup looks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 19, 2:34 PM
Gold Member
Gene

Re: Home audio stuff

This is a very general response to your question.
Typically a receiver that connects to your TV and has multiple speakers is going to be a Surround Sound receiver. They are specified by the number of channels they have as X.Y, where X is regular audio (surround) channels, and Y is sub woofer channels. A 5.1 system would have 5 channels (front right, left, and center, rear right and left) and 1 sub woofer.

Generally, they will allow you to connect an additional pair(2) of speakers like the old A/B
speaker selector, where A is the 5.1 speakers, and B is stereo speakers in another room.

To connect this to your TV, your TV needs to have a digital audio output, or an HDMI ARC connection. You could connect your TV with just a L/R audio connection, but that would defeat the purpose of a surround sound receiver.

You probably wont find one with a built in CD player, but if you already have a DVD player, it will play CD's

Just a heads up, realize that these setups require a number of speakers and powered sub woofers.

If your TV doesn't have the digital audio feature, and just has Left/Right outputs, just a regular 2 channel stereo receiver would work, but you will probably be limited to 2 sets of stereo speakers with an A/B switch. I don't think there are any that will power 8 speakers.
davewho1 likes this.

68 SS396
Team Chevelle Gold #14
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 19, 4:48 PM
Tech Team
Bryan

Man it's been a while since I've shopped for any of this kind of stuff, but even an entry-level receiver will do everything you want (minus the CD player). I have one similar to the link below, only difference is I bought mine almost 10 years ago and it doesn't have Bluetooth.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/denon-a...?skuId=6333563

I'm no audiophile or anything, but I'm happy with mine and it does everything I need it to do. My cable box and my DVD/Blu Ray Player both feed into the receiver, and a single HDMI output feeds the TV. And it automatically switches the input for you to whichever device you powered on, which I thought was cool. I've since added a standalone Bluetooth receiver so I can pair my phone to it and play music from my phone. Oh and I love having the second zone, which I use to power a set of outdoor speakers in the back yard. It's nice to have music when we're hanging out on the deck or hosting a bbq or whatever.

I'm sure you could find a soundbar or something if you don't need all those features, but these things are so inexpensive now and it's nice to have all that capability. I think the only reason you wouldn't be happy with something like this is if you're a total audiophile and you're into more of the high-end $$$ stuff. But to me it works and sounds just fine. And if you need a CD player, I'm pretty sure most DVD players will play CD's too so you could just try that.
davewho1 likes this.

'66 SS Clone
Fast Burn 385hp Crate 350 (for now)
Muncie M20 & 3.42 Posi
UMI Stage 2 Suspension all around
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 19, 7:31 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dan

Garage

Good info fellas, thanks. I'm so out of date on this stuff i need to research before i jump in. On a whim yesterday i bought a bluethooth receiver/transmitter that i want to hook up for now to see if this fulfills my needs as far as the bluetooth goes. it looks like i would be able to send music from my phone to the stereo, and also send TV/stereo/CD to some bluethooth speakers.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 19, 10:04 AM
Senior Tech Team
jeff

I got a new TV for cheap and it did not have RCA outputs and the Signal it put out was not convertible to RCA without lag time and bad picture.
Voices did not match the mouth movement.
I broke down and got a new Reciever as the old JVC would not work out.

I got a Sony STRDH550 which is discontinued but does have HDMI and aothe goodies to hook it all up.
I also have a Sony blue ray DVD player.
It is all blue tooth compatible as my wife hooks her phone to it somehow..I do not have a cell phone.

But the kicker here is I hooked the speakers up front and rear left and right and it sounder Horrible.

Some did not have any voices coming from them just music.

That is the 5 speaker surround BS .

I figured out how to hook it up like Gene mentioned old school 2 speaker stereo style.
I have 4 speakers in the room and all have 15" woofers and mids and tweeters.

Yes i hooked them in parallel and many years later it still works fine.
I like my 15's you can feel the shows you watch 2 of them are Optimus Mach II speakers probably before your time.
Purchased around 1988 Pretty close to when I got my JVC reciever.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 19, 7:59 AM
Tech Team
Gavin

Garage

Iím still rocking a Harman/Kardon surround receiver from 1994. I do not have a sub for it, but Iím using Infinity tower speakers as my left and right surround channels, and it works well. Onkyo 6 disc changer we bought new last year when the h/k cd carousel gave up before last Christmas. Iím still looking for a sub I can add to the system but I have limited space, so Iíll have to get creative. Also may add dedicated right and left channel satellite speakers and use the infinity towers in my vinyl rig.

My father tells me I was born 30 years too late.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in