The ol "dont lean on the car" issue - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

60Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 19, 2:29 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

The ol "dont lean on the car" issue

Whats your approach on this? Tell em you can lean on my car if I can do your wife i dont know.

Last 3 times out ive had to tell and remove my girls hand from someones paint job...loud enough for the owner to hear it.
She wont let anyone near hers fwiw

Seen fistfights break out over this...yesterday had no less than a dozen decide they had to lean on the bed trim to ask a question..one lady swung her chair right into the corner of the bed chipping it. Immediately blamed her meds, her husband said nothing he was too busy keeping his dog from peeing on my tire.

Whats your take?
To me its a matter of respect. I know its just a car but I dont put my hands on others stuff?!
Wont let it keep me from going like I did looking for a better way of conveying the message. Maybe Im too tightly wound

Quote:
This post is a duplicate of a post that you have posted in the last five minutes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 19, 2:35 PM
Senior Tech Team

Re: The ol "dont lean on the car" issue

Since you donít seem to enjoy taking your car shows especially when people donít respect participants cars, why not just go as a spectator.

Steve R

Last edited by Steve R; Oct 20th, 19 at 2:36 PM. Reason: X
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 19, 2:37 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

I do enjoy it...its people that get on my nerves. Well I enjoy driving there and back I guess, not enough to go spectate.
Its a major undertaking most days to even walk so its not often i get to do this
Few weeks back at a fri night cruise in there were 3 or 4 kids throwing rocks at eachother for about 20 min right in front of everyones rides. Wow lol

Ah mebbe youre right, I need to find a 1/4 track. In Ca.
Kirk's67SS likes this.

Quote:
This post is a duplicate of a post that you have posted in the last five minutes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 19, 2:47 PM
Senior Tech Team
Fat Stig

That's why I am reluctant to go to car shows. I've been to cars and coffee informal type stuff but the last organized car show I went to was about 10 years ago. Some ******* decided he wanted pictures of his fat ass girlfriend draped over the hood of my Buick. Ended up with about $1800 damage.

I stick to race events now where entrance to the hot grid area is restricted to participants. They seem to be much more respectful of others' cars.
Steve R likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpete, Dean, Derek69SS, hoffbug, rubadub, Grandsport, Thomas Jefferson, 1badss396, MEJ1990TM, and mrdjc99
As usual, Andy is right
If it doesn't fit, force it. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyway.

I have to keep reminding myself this isn't a Z16 convertible, Evening Orchid Camaro, or factory 1966 SS427 and get on with it.

post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 19, 2:59 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Garage

Higher end car shows, people know to keep their hands off.

Shows like Good Guys, Super Chevy, etc. more chance of leaning into the engine compartment or cell phone dropped on a fender for a picture.

Cruise nights and public car shows are notorious for constant touching, jingling keys, and handbags, even dog leashes.

We go to a lot of cruise ins with my 55 and it is very flattering that everyone wants to take

a picture with the car, but probably 40-50% feel the need, for some reason, to put their hand on the fender.

To answer your question, you got to try to see it coming and be ready to pounce.

Kirk's67SS likes this.

Mike

My

AACA Senior Grand National
Good Guys Muscle Car of the Year Finalist

Eckler's Winternationals Platinum 1000 pts
2016 Midwest Chevelle Regional 1000 Point Award

NPD Choice Award All GM Oktoberfest
6 times Concours d'Elegance Best in Class

MCC Platinum & 2 times People's Choice Award & Carolina Chevelle Club Best in Show

2016 Midwest Chevelle Regional "Dean Call Award"
2015 OPGI Original Restored Award

MCACN Gold
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 19, 3:37 PM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

Since I don't have a show quality paint job, I don't care if people touch it, but I would prefer if they ask first. But if someone actually damages something/chipped paint, anything, especially out of sheer ignorance like the chair incident, and didn't sincerely apologize and try to make it right, I'd be asking for identification for the insurance claim. People need to know that they are liable for their actions.

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 19, 3:42 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Some lady wanted to take a pic of her friend on someones '32
Owner wasnt around at that moment...she tossed her bag on the running board, placed her heel on it, bag fell off. She picked it up then placed it firmly on the board, stood up on the running board, hung on to the side hanging off it kinda. Ok they got their pic..owner showed up afew min later locked the car up, changed his mind a few min later and took off pretty flustered. Thankfully it was steel not glass lol
Real pricy paint job on it.

Quote:

post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 19, 4:10 PM
Tech Team
Rame

Garage

My car is a rat, black primer and rust. It doesn't really bother me about people leaning on it (which of course they do), but I had to fix the door locks because a couple of times I found people sitting in it, this wasn't at a car show either, just a store's parking lot. The wife doesn't drive it anymore because of people stopping her to take pictures with it, I don't understand it, people are just weird I guess. I once thought of hooking up a stun gun to the body controlled by a remote switch, not sure if that would work though, and I'm sure you could get in some kind of trouble for it. Best I can say is that if it bothers you that bad you should probably get rid of it cause if it pisses you off when someone chips the paint, it's going to break your heart when someone smashes into it with their honda.

post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 19, 5:06 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Devin

Garage

I donít enter my car in shows- the 25 year old paint is too full of dings chips and scratches to be presentable. This type of behavior is part of the reason why I donít repaint it. Iíd be terribly upset every time something happened to it, regardless as to whether it was at a show or not. The general population is rude and disrespectful. My kids know to keep their hands off of other peopleís cars, but itís apparent many either weíre not taught or just donít care.

Devin
1966_L78, Pete 67, Steve R and 3 others like this.

Just an El Camino

Son's build:

My never-ending project:
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 19, 5:44 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bruce

Location: White Bear Lake, a northeast suburb of St. Paul, MinneSNOWta
Garage

The human race is doomed. Aliens haven't contacted us because there is no intelligent life to speak of on this rock.

My old domed / SS hood has a pair of dents where a 350 pound spectator plopped himself on the hood so he could read the propaganda I had laying on top of the dash. He had to lift his girth off my hood with his elbows. I no longer put reading material on the dash.

My left fender has a scratch from some moron's keys. I now place a magnetic placard near the scratch. "Plese watch your keys." What kind of idiot clips their keys to their belt anyway? Oh, wait my brother-in-law the idiot does.

People simply don't realize the high cost involved in restoring these cars, or how easily the paint is damaged. "It's just an old car." I had a brief discussion with the keys moron about civil liability - accident or not, they are responible for damage they cause, and small claims court is an option. The moron immediately left the show when I hinted that I'd call the cops to get him ID'd so I could sue him (not that the cops would, but...).

In my state it is a Midemeanor to enter or sit on anothers motor vehicle without the owners' permission. That could lead to an interesting pissing contest...

Our You Tube Vids:

post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 19, 6:25 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage

Delineators and crime scene tape.
NickeyChevelle and pannetron like this.
post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 19, 9:22 PM
Senior Tech Team

I used to live in So. Cal., Whittier, and went to a LOT of car shows, weekly cruise in's, and the lot, saw a lot of what happened to the OP.

I used to take stantions and rope with me when I went to these events, to keep people from doing all that stuff, and got called all sorts of names for doing it, but, the cars I have didn't get damaged. Small price to pay for not having to fix a seriuos paint job from a small paint attack. And, nobody knows what sorts of acids and/or other stuff is on people's hands.

That said, there used to be a monthly cartoon in Hot Rod Magazine, "Stroker McGurk". They were drawn cartoons, and one of them had a series of pictures of McGurk driving his roadster, with all sorts of people coming too close, getting into incidents right next to him. Then, at the car show, people coming up and leaning against, touching this car. Next drawing was of him getting an idea, light bulb on above his head. Last drawing, he is driving his car, big smile, and he has attached a chain link fence completely around the car, a post at each corner. Sometimes, it seems like that sort of thing is the only way to protect a person's vehicle from those that really don't have any real mal-intent, but just don't think to not do that sort of thing to other people's cars.
427L88 likes this.
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 19, 9:58 PM
Senior Tech Team

Don't touch... that's it. My car isn't high dollar, but I don't like anyone touching it except family. I have two young boys who have been going to shows with me since birth, they're 4 and 6 now. They know not to touch anyones cars. That's at a show or in a shopping parking lot. The rule is hands off of anyone's car. They're not allowed to rub our daily drivers either.

Discipline starts at home, or in the garage!

ak
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 19, 10:24 PM
Tech Team
Jason

Air horn and a water gun. If they get to close blow the horn if they continue spray them.
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 19, 10:35 PM
Team Member
Tom

When it comes to issues like this, I'm not polite, I'm not diplomatic, I just come right out and tell them not to lean on other peoples' cars.
MOST, not all, but MOST people get it and some apologize. I've never openly worn my .44 at a car show, but maybe I should.

I do like the idea of telling them it's OK to lean on the car if I can do their wife (or GF).
Kirk's67SS likes this.

Tom Parsons
TC# 474
#3 FOREVER!!!!!
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak. (unknown)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in