How car shows are Judged???? - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

81Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 19, 11:25 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

How car shows are Judged????

Ever go to show and look at the winners and think “what the he!! were they thinking?? They really missed the best cars!” Sometimes I think the best go to the hosting club members.
NickeyChevelle likes this.

Team Chevelle Member (19 years and counting...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)

'72 Chevelle Convertible (Mohave Gold) (all SS options, no SS badging)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 Pontiac GTO (Quicksilver) RIP April 2013
--> Replaced with 2004 Pontiac GTO (Barbados Blue)

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche (Sunset Orange Metallic)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 19, 11:38 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage
Re: How car shows are Judged????

Sometimes it's who you know not what you show.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 19, 11:45 PM
Senior Tech Team

Agree seen it many times. The guy who invited me to todays went gaga over it weeks ago (he put on the event) and assured me Id win
I didnt stick around for trophy time, just there to check out cars and have a good time.

Some get waaay too wrapped up in all that stuff. This is supposed to be fun

Good friend belongs to a club and would go ballistic if he didnt get a trophy, he eventually made such a big stink, quitting, writing letters they gave him one.
All id hear when we would hang out is the kid like gossip about who won, why hes better faster etc. Screw all that
-SS454-, LeoP, TerryAT and 4 others like this.

Quote:
This post is a duplicate of a post that you have posted in the last five minutes.

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 19, 12:04 AM
Senior Tech Team

Every show will be different. Some have judges to specific classes, others only let club members vote, sometimes only people with cars entered get to vote donít forget the infamous peopleís choice where anyone and everyone gets to vote.

If someone want a trophy bad enough they will figure out a way to rig the vote, there is nothing you can do about it. When the voting is fair you can guarantee someone that didnít win will be butt sore and find an excuse to be unhappy, thatís how things work.

If you go, be bring a couple of chair and something to eat and drink, donít have any expectations of winning. Once you win a lot of trophies most will eventually find their way into the trash, shoved into a corner of the spare bedroom or donated to a club for recycling.

Steve R
blm, busterwivell, HKalin and 2 others like this.

Last edited by Steve R; Oct 20th, 19 at 12:08 AM. Reason: X
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 19, 12:53 AM
Senior Tech Team
Hank

Garage

When I had my 69 Camaro and went to shows where the car was actually looked over by the judges from the club that ran the show I would normally win something. As far as a people's choice show forget it a lot of those shows were how many people you knew that came to the show and voted for your car. Now I look back at those times sitting around for hours in the hot sun waiting to see if you won a lousy $5 trophy it wasn't worth it. Now if I go to a cruise or show in about 2 hours I'm out of there.
Dean, von, Steve R and 4 others like this.

71 Malibu, Cottonwood Green, 396 BBC, AutoGear M22W 4 speed, 12 bolt 3:55 posi.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 19, 7:49 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Garage

At our annual Loafers show, club members cars are on display in a separate area and show attendees can vote for their favorite. We don't compete in the show.

We have three teams of three judges. One member judges paint, one judges engine, and one does interior. The lead judge also does an overall assessment. Each area is judged from 1 to 5. A perfect score would be 20 which is very very rare.

We also have special awards. The mayor's choice and Tom and Becky's choice (Hannibal Mo, Mark Twain). There is also an award for best paint, best engine and best of show. We also do a memorial award where our club picks a deceased individual, either a club member or someone associated to our show. The family members of the honored person picks a car and present the award.

Most of the shows we attended are participant judged. It seems true that who ever has the most friends there wins, most of the time. I would rather be judged by hopefully unbiased judges. Whether we win a trophy or not, we're there to have a good time and see cool cars and meet people with cool cars, so we always win.
Dean, DUKE 69, 69SHEVL and 1 others like this.

70 LS5 convertible
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 19, 9:22 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

The ONLY car show we go to anymore is in our old home town 90 miles away. We are charter members of that club. We take the ol' 57 wagon and attend just to socialize with old friends. Don't care if we win anything or not. Usually come away with a door prize. Best one is an ice cream treat from Dairy Queen.....

It's the simple things.....

When I works, I works hard.
When I sits, I sits loose.
When I thinks, I falls asleep.

The '68 L79 Malibu survivor as found in Nov. 2014, in my profile pic.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 19, 9:24 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Thanks guys. That confirms what I thought. I like going to talk with fellow enthusiasts and checking out the cars.
Kirk's67SS likes this.

Team Chevelle Member (19 years and counting...
)

'72 Chevelle Convertible (Mohave Gold) (all SS options, no SS badging)

2004 Pontiac GTO (Quicksilver) RIP April 2013
--> Replaced with 2004 Pontiac GTO (Barbados Blue)

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche (Sunset Orange Metallic)
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 19, 10:23 AM
Tech Team
Gavin

Garage

The only reason I bring the Malibu to shows is to meet people and check out the other cars. At the first show my wife and I went to, a younger than us man pulled in next to us with a Corvette C6 Grand Sport. I didnít care, it beat the lifted GMC pickup on the other side of us. He was a cool dude (C6 guy), and it turns out the car used to be owned by Tim Allen. We met some new people, chatted with others, sat in the shade, checked out some other cars, and took the long route home. I know my car will likely never win a trophy, and Iím not upset by that at all. Itís a fun driver, has a few body/paint issues that may or may not ever get fixed, and I love it. Now to get the new starter installed so I can get it out one or two last times before the white stuff starts falling.
augy and lucifershammer like this.

My father tells me I was born 30 years too late.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 19, 11:37 AM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

As for Chevelle shows;

Although I've taken home awards over the years at Chevelle shows, you have to wonder what the folks were really thinking in a participant judged show, (if it was because of having the most friends there?)
I'm sure that some are truly voting for the vehicles that they feel are in fact the best, but you never really know.

One time I won top three award because my car was the only one in the class

Most Judges at judged Chevelle shows are not really qualified for the year of car that they are judging but they do the best that they can.
Of course, best paint, or best whatever doesn't take Chevelle knowledge.

The old NCOA shows with the 1000 point judging were the only Chevelle shows with true honest judging.

To me, a show is not about winning an award or just about the vehicles, it's about the camaraderie, visiting with old friends and meeting new friends that share the same interest and the "car talk"

I really don't care for shows that allow newer vehicles myself but I suppose they have to be included to make the show profitable.

BUT, a room full of trophies and plaques is always impressive to non car friends and family.

post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 19, 11:48 AM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

1st rule of local type car shows... If you go to a car show and your only goal is to win a 5$ trophy, you will be disappointed. 2nd rule of going to a local type car show, refer to rule number 1. Just go and enjoy the other cars and talk to people.

Your just jealous because you can't hear the voices!

1967 Olds Cutlass 468 BBC/T400
1963 Plymouth Fury 440/Torqueflite
2007 Ford Mustang GT (momma's car)
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 19, 11:53 AM
Senior Tech Team
Claude

Unhappy Re: How car shows are Judged????

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72soft-top View Post
Ever go to show and look at the winners and think ďwhat the he!! were they thinking?? They really missed the best cars!Ē Sometimes I think the best go to the hosting club members.
I've been having the same thought for a long time, especially at the Adirondak Nationals in Lake George NY. There are only a handful of so-called "judges" who just walk between rows of cars and just "picking" cars depending on their mood. Not one of them bothers getting close and look under the hoods much less look under the cars to see if they are detailed or not.
I've seen cars that got selected in their "Top 50 winner circle" which looked like daily drivers looking ok from 30 feet away but without any detailing whatsoever especially the undercariage and under the hood, etcÖ There were many, many participants who had restored and modified cars costing easily in the three digits being ignoredÖ It was like if the participants were not rewarded according to the quality of their cars but rather by luck only. I don't think that's a fair way to judge a show and encourage the participants to come back the next year. Of course I didn't win anything but I'm not saying this just for me but also for all the other guys who brought beautiful vehicles and were simply went ignored by the judging staff. I've never went back and don't have any plans to do so.

Claude.
Kirk's67SS likes this.

1971 Chevelle SS
1987 Buick Grand National 9.48 @ 142 mph
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 19, 12:26 PM
Senior Tech Team
Keith

unless the judging body has a published judging standard book its just a waste of time. since I can't read minds no use trying to figure out what they may be looking for
Steve R likes this.

1966 Chevelle SS 396/360 M21 3:73 posi. silver/blue buckets

Maryland Chevelle Club #682
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 19, 12:43 PM
Tech Team
Stan

One good thing about judged car shows is they provide you the motivation to set your bar higher. Years ago I had what I thought was a well restored 64 Impala SS, drove it all the way down to South Dakota to a National Impala show only to realize my car was a hacker compared to what the big dogs brought. After realizing what it takes to win I decided to challenge myself to do better, so I spent the next 2 years redoing my restoration. When I was done I went back to the same show and cleaned house. That felt good.
Nowadays, even though I have nice cars, I couldn't care less about who wins what, but the encouragement I got with my 64 taught me a lot about quality and attention to detail.
12stones likes this.
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 19, 2:07 PM
Senior Tech Team

I found the ISCA shows were pretty professional and would give you their judges score cards after. I used to like the competitive shows... but then would get po'd at a local show with subjective judging...

If you're really not interested in being judged, just enter and ask to not be judged, most will mark your sign as 'non- competing'... and there's no stress!

ak
Steve R likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in