Don Allen Chevrolet - Pittsburgh PA - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

8Likes
  • 1 Post By Robinls5
  • 2 Post By hydro462
  • 4 Post By blm
  • 1 Post By blm

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 19, 1:58 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Shawn

Don Allen Chevrolet - Pittsburgh PA

Hi All,

Looking for information on Don Allen Chevrolet in Pittsburgh, specifically from the late '60s. Newspaper stuff, post cards, pictures, whatever. That's where my '68 was sold, thought it would be cool to have some memorabilia hanging on the wall in the garage. Thanks in advance for any info!

'68 300
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 19, 2:54 PM
coe
Ron

Re: Don Allen Chevrolet - Pittsburgh PA

Can't help with any history. Haven't heard that name in a long time. My parents bought a Caprice station wagon from there in the early 80's (maybe 81?). Don't know if you've seen this...

http://www.interestingpennsylvania.c...art-4-don.html

~Ron
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 19, 4:25 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

My Dad bought one of his Chevys at Don Allen. WOW,,, That picture of RITTERS Diner. Ate at Ritters many,many times. Dated JoAnne that worked there. My band played in the city a lot and always wound up at Ritters around 3 to 5 AM...... Thats is some Memories....
Bob
hydro462 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1970 SS LS-5/M-22 El Camino- Org. Owner-AACA 2016-Senior Grand National Winner---MCACN-GOLD-2013
1970 ( FRAUD) SS 468 Station Wagon - Driver.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 19, 10:05 PM
Team Member
Dave

Bob, I've also dined at Ritters many times after hitting a certain after hours club in S'Liberty
I remember the china plates there being a inch thick and heavy as hell, and on a scale of one to ten, I'd rate their breakfasts a solid 12!
Hadn't thought about them in years!
Also used to frequent the New 12th Ward Republican's Club (aka John Adams Club) on the second floor of the building next to Primanti's, and eating next door before it became a yuppie joint.

It is a rare man who can count his own blessings and not mistake them for personal achievements.
"SSuper Dave" Palmer
A.C.E.S. #1483 TC #32 Gold
1970 El Camino Custom, 350/300, needs paint, rust free Arizona car
1968 Caprice coupe, Ash Gold/Ivy Gold, 327/300hp, rally wheels, disc brakes, buckets, console, am/fm and tach dash, tilt and a/c.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 19, 10:23 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel0Yel068 View Post
Hi All,

Looking for information on Don Allen Chevrolet in Pittsburgh, specifically from the late '60s. Newspaper stuff, post cards, pictures, whatever. That's where my '68 was sold, thought it would be cool to have some memorabilia hanging on the wall in the garage. Thanks in advance for any info!
Keep an eye on eBay, right now, there are 9 items from Don Allen Chevrolet listed for sale. Run WTB ads on CL and Facebook, you Will eventually find some cool stuff.

Steve R
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 19, 10:37 PM
Team Member
Dave

I've had my '68 Caprice over 15 years, and in that time, have amassed a goodly number of items from the selling dealer, Heimbach and Sweatt Chevrolet in Pennsburg PA, mostly from ebay. I've got a USA-1 license plate with their name on it, a matchbook, cig lighter, keychains, letter opener, a blank parts invoice, and the best of all, the metallic dealer sticker that they used on the trunk. I've got it in a shadowbox that I take to shows and people love it, remembering the times when dealerships gave away all kinds of stuff.

Bob, you ever go to an after hours joint downtown called Monty's, owned and run by a tough old broad named Joyce, she also owned JJ's on the southside?
How about the BYM Club in Brookline?

It is a rare man who can count his own blessings and not mistake them for personal achievements.
"SSuper Dave" Palmer
A.C.E.S. #1483 TC #32 Gold
1970 El Camino Custom, 350/300, needs paint, rust free Arizona car
1968 Caprice coupe, Ash Gold/Ivy Gold, 327/300hp, rally wheels, disc brakes, buckets, console, am/fm and tach dash, tilt and a/c.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 19, 10:32 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

I grew up about 15 blocks down the street from there.. We used to ride our Huffys over there every Saturday and watch them unload the new Nova's, Chevelle's, Impalas, Biscayne's, Vetts .. In the photo I am washing my last car for the day and getting my Huffy Drag Bike ready to go over Don Allens and then down to Sears Lot in Lawrenceville to watch then drag race.. I had a dream childhood... (Notice the Barracuda jacket and All Stars lol)

I'll see what I have...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1970 washing cars bike.JPG
Views:	12
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	605810  
Mel0Yel068 and shovelrick like this.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 19, 1:07 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Ritters,BYM club, Original Primantis back in the day, I've also been to them. Let me add another. Pips diner in the West end. Word was Pittsburgh cops ate there for free cause there was always a bunch of them in there. Diner is still there but no longer Pips.
My FIL bought all his Chevys from Don Allen. At one point my wife's family had 3 Vettes from Don Allen. That's Chevettes, not Corvettes.
Don Allen was in business from early 50s till 2009. So information and memorabilia will be plentiful. Should be easy to come by. Pittsburgh Craigslist may offer up some items and ebay of course. Hey if you could find a long time employee of Don Allen you could find the mother load and the old stuff.
My Chevelle also came from a Pittsburgh area dealer. Much lesser known Gourley Chevrolet in Sewickley. They started in 1945 but went out in 1978 so finding stuff is harder but I have several pieces from Gourley. One is an ad from the Sewickley Herald from 9/10/69 which features my 69 being advertised as a new car.

Last edited by blm; Oct 19th, 19 at 1:35 PM.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 19, 1:58 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

As far as newspaper items I can pass on the following tip. What I did for my dealer which was in Sewickley PA (suburb of Pittsburgh) was to go the Sewickley Library. There they had on microfilm every copy of the Sewickley Herald ever printed. That is how I found the 1/4 page ad that featured my 69. Just stumbled across it while going through the 1969 daily editions of the Herald. Was kind of a needle in a haystack find. Then I was fortunate that Sewickley has a historical society where they have actual copies of the Herald so I could photograph the real ad.
Anyway Don Allen would have advertised in both the Pittsburgh Post Gazette and the Pittsburgh Press. So somewhere in Pittsburgh those copies can be seen. The Press is still in business ( for time being) so you could contact them and ask where the archives are kept.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 19, 12:57 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Actually after the reading this today I realized that I said the Press is still in business. They are not. It is the Post Gazette that is still happening. If we didn't have the 1\2 hour edit limit could have just changed my post. But Was told the half hour edit limit is fine and there are no problems with it.
hydro462 likes this.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 19, 9:47 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by coe View Post
Can't help with any history. Haven't heard that name in a long time. My parents bought a Caprice station wagon from there in the early 80's (maybe 81?). Don't know if you've seen this...

Walk Down Baum Boulevard Part 4: The Former Don Allen Chevy Dealership | Interesting Pennsylvania and Beyond

~Ron
Thanks! I was on that site right before I posted this thread.

'68 300
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 19, 9:49 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
Keep an eye on eBay, right now, there are 9 items from Don Allen Chevrolet listed for sale. Run WTB ads on CL and Facebook, you Will eventually find some cool stuff.

Steve R
Thanks Steve. I was on eBay too poking around. the 'best' thing I see now is the street view posted which looks to be circa '64-ish. I've had it saved in my watch list for a long time. I was hoping to find something of that nature with content later in the 60s, but still a cool find and I'll probably have to pick it up anyway.

'68 300
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in