Team Chevelle banner

A Cool Video About The First Ford Flatheaad Motor

586 views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Pioneer4x4 
#1 ·
A Cool Video About The First Ford Flatheaad Motor in 1932, and the struggles perfecting it during the great depression

That is if you have an hour and three minutes to watch it.

#6 ·
How many people on here have had the opportunity to ride in a Model A or even drive one. I have done both and for the most part it is a carnival ride, scary and exciting at the same time. Everyone should take a ride down the highway at full speed, to appreciate everything modern.

#11 ·
How many people on here have had the opportunity to ride in a Model A or even drive one.
Scarier yet is the Model T, with transmission brake (rear only), lousy steering gear, flexible chassis, higher stance, more open body, and wood wheels.

Mine has been fully balanced, bigger cam, high-compression head, and larger carburetor. I have gone GPS verified 60mph in it. It was exhilarating. :D

#7 ·
I drove my bosses 1919 model T truck in a parade one time, that was fun.
It did have an electric starter but every now and then I would shut it off and a kid from work riding a eight foot tall bicycle he made would get off his bike and crank the T started.

In 1960-61 I traded a 46 Ford coupe for a 1928 Ford Roadster.
A customer at the service station where I worked showed me that you could pull up on the gear shift and rotate it around under the dash, out of the way (if on a date :) ).

I tore the rear end up somehow and a friend's brother had a 29 coupe setting half buried in his back yard and it was winter so another friend used his AAA insurance to have it towed out and I bought it for parts.

(I got a traffic ticket later and had to put up bond for using the very old tag off of it on a 49 Ford by putting on a current year sticker):)

I kept the fenders,running boards, rumble seat, radiator, hood, motor, transmission, and some small stuff from it and gave it all to the guy I sold the roadster to. (I could kick myself now because I practically gave it away)

Anyway, it sure was fun having the old roadster with rumble seat, sure wish I still had it.

OK, sorry, us old farts like to tell old stories (over and over and ov...) because we can't remember new ones

Back to the first Ford Flathead.

#8 ·
My wife and I rode to dinner in a 1926 Dodge a friend of mine had, original engine and trans IIRC it had wood spoke wheels, we met at his house and only went a few miles up and back Gulf Blvd. on Indian Rocks Bch. Fl. at a top speed of around 25-30 mph but what a neat ride, it had new blue and black paint and new interior but I think he said the rest was mostly original, he also had a new 2016 Z06 vette at the time, talk about extremes lol, Thanks for the video Dean :thumbsup:

#12 ·
That was interesting.

#13 ·
A few years ago my brother in law wanted to go to Detroit area to visit Ford stuff, we got to ride in Model Ts for free at the Birthday Celebration. It was very cool, working the timing and throttle by hand on the wheel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.