My new vehicle and I'm really excited! - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 19, 3:40 PM Thread Starter
Super Mod
Rich

Garage
My new vehicle and I'm really excited!

Most of my life I have wanted a high end full suspension mountain bike. I have a nice entry level mountain bike (Trek 800) which I like very much, but when this little gem came my way I didn't hesitate to snatch it up. It is 20 years old but looks like it has barely ever been riden. When new it was $1700 and has some really high end components and rides like a dream. My only regret in getting it now is I doubt I'll have many opportunities to really ride it much before next Spring given how our weather has turned.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191011_132750[1].jpg
Views:	65
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	605278  

NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rich Cummings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 19, 8:40 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Nice score. But I probably can’t ride like I did 20 years ago?

Team Chevelle Member (19 years and counting...
)

'72 Chevelle Convertible (Mohave Gold) (all SS options, no SS badging)

2004 Pontiac GTO (Quicksilver) RIP April 2013
--> Replaced with 2004 Pontiac GTO (Barbados Blue)

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche (Sunset Orange Metallic)
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 19, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
Super Mod
Rich

Garage
Re: My new vehicle and I'm really excited!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72soft-top View Post
Nice score. But I probably canít ride like I did 20 years ago?
I probably can't either but I've never been a particularly aggressive rider, but my stamina is still pretty good. I can go good distances, just not horribly fast. These new shifters will take some getting used to, one lever to go up and one to go down on each but they are opposite on either side meaning the front lever on the front derailleur shifts down but the front lever on the rear derailleur shifts up. Seems like they should work in the same direction but I've never had shifters with two levers so maybe this is typical. The gearing is well spaced and it really has a wide range from the lowest gear to the highest gear is much wider than on my Trek. All Shimano SXT stuff. It was tuned up by a bike shop before I got it. I did tighten up the front shocks and loosened up the rear. Rides very nice, I now am looking for stuff to ride over or through where on my old bike I'd try to avoid them all!
71350SS likes this.

NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998

Rich Cummings
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 19, 10:51 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Bought my bike about 20 years ago (Diamond Back no suspension). Rode it pretty hard though Fairmount Park in Philadelphia. It amazed me that it held up so well since I beat the heck out of it. Still have it today. Your new one my envy when I first started riding. Now I really just ski in winters and car shows in summer.

Team Chevelle Member (19 years and counting...
)

'72 Chevelle Convertible (Mohave Gold) (all SS options, no SS badging)

2004 Pontiac GTO (Quicksilver) RIP April 2013
--> Replaced with 2004 Pontiac GTO (Barbados Blue)

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche (Sunset Orange Metallic)
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 19, 12:56 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ron

Always good to see people riding! Nice score.
cheveslakr likes this.

My car is here:

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 19, 1:05 PM
Senior Tech Team
Terry

Did you look for the build sheet yet?
shovelrick likes this.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 19, 1:08 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Nice, I have a Marin... I am looking for a 20" Huffy Stiletto Drag Bike like I had in the 60s...

https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/hu...-green.120986/
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 19, 1:17 PM
Senior Tech Team
jerry

Good for you Rich, bike's make you feel young and get you places you just wouldn't visit otherwise.
Your shifters should have a somewhat smaller handle that shifts to a smaller sprocket and a larger that goes bigger. Obviously, that'll have opposite effect on final drive depending on front or back. You'll get used to it. I personally operate the rear mostly and only use the front on severe uphills.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 19, 5:26 PM
Senior Tech Team

Being a motorcyclist, I also like to ride bicycles, and, in my shop here, I have been enlisted by town's people to work on, fix, maintain their bicycles, for the adults, and especially for the kids. We always used to get new bikes form some of the places that didn't sell some models, to give away at our local Christmas Dinner, and I was always the person that put them together, finished the ones that weren't all the way done, etc.

Part of working on these bikes was that some people came here, and literally gave me bikes, donated, etc. My plan was to do them up for those that couldn't afford a bike, no bike shop here, though. Only problem was, not enough money to do all the things like new tires/tubes, seats, cables for all, so, I still have a bunch of unfinished bikes all over the place. I gave away to the Kiwanis Club 70 kid's bikes, in all forms of fixed, to not fixed, three years ago. I am waiting now for a fellow in Reno to have enough time to come and get the adult bikes not finished in the last year, about 40 or so, so, his group can continue finishing them to give to people.

I have about 20 finished bikes in my front room now (they share room with 10 motorcycles there as well), and another 8 bicycles in my master bedroom. One of which is a French Tour de France bike that is literally glued together, no welding, no bolts, glued, like the French Mirage fighter jets are (It got given to me by a nice lady now deceased, told me to go pull on that handlebar poking out of a large mud pit, didn't know it had a full racing bicycle still attached to it). And, a full suspension Specialized I used to ride when in town, that I built a pull along trailer for. I'd leave it at my sister's place in town, and when I went there, I'd ride it all over the place, doing my errands. Town is 8 miles from my rural dwelling, so, riding in and out from my place was out, too tar for this fat, out of shape old fart to go. Yerington is about a mile and a half square, so, riding around town it was great, if the altitude didn't get to you, 4,800 feet.

Rich, that is a great looking bike, I hope you get the time, and urge to "get out and pedal yer tail all over the place" on it.

I miss riding my bikes, and I don't think I will be able to ride any of them in the future, the spider bite on my hand isn't coming along very well.
71350SS, davewho1 and scalise71 like this.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 19, 5:31 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jim

I don't see the motor.
BMR Sales and shovelrick like this.

Jim

77 Monte
421 Profilers ported by Eric Weingartner, Straub HR 3200 conv. from Jake 200-4r w/ 3.73's
Machine work by Torvinen's machine
11.93 @ 112.7 & tuning
67 Imp.SS for the wife 275 hp 327-TH350
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 19, 6:37 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage

Jim you beat me to it

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 19, 12:22 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

Here's the motor : The guy said the motor costs $129

Dave this bolt on 2 stroke engine would be perfect for 1 of your bikes and that 8 mile ride would be easy.Anyone wants to skip ahead for the results its up and running at around 8:45 or so,then by 9:00 he's riding it like a motorcycle.

John
71 El Camino SS
406 SBC M21 3.31 12 bolt
"Quality is always remembered,long after the price is forgotten"
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 19, 9:33 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

I use the middle front sprocket and go between the middle rear sprockets. I try not to have the chain bent while peddling.. You'll find your happy spot.. It took me a few months to get the right adjustments. There are a few places on the net that show you how to set your bike up...
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 19, 11:29 AM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Cool bicycle Rich

post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 19, 1:56 PM
Senior Tech Team

Engines have been mounted to bicycle frames for a century, and, they were even produced by one company for a lot of that time, the "Whizzer." I have two of them, and have installed a couple of Chinese engine packages into newer bikes for a couple of people here, not a bad deal if that is what you want.

To me, it really defeats the "Pedal Power" concept of the whole deal, though.
LeoP and bikeron like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in