Vintage Stereos - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

83Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 19, 6:57 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Ben

Garage
Vintage Stereos

When I was a kid(late 70's) my dad had this awesome(to me anyway) pioneer stereo setup- silver face with cool big metal switches, heavy weighted dials and lighted meters.... also had matching reel to reel, cassete deck, and record player...

Anyway I've been looking for an "old and cool" reciever for a while to go in my family room to run a record player that I picked up a few months back and run blue tooth through it.

I just picked up a 1970 Kenwood 6160 receiver at lunch today.
Found it at value village for $45. Tested it and it works (as much as i could see in the few minutes at the store with a pair of their junk speakers)

Not quite as cool as my dads setup, but I'm excited to hook it all up.

Anyone else into these things?

pic is off the net since the unit is still in the trunk of my car...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kenwood1.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	605226  
Pete 67, 71350SS, LeoP and 5 others like this.

Ben R.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 19, 7:14 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Randy

Re: Vintage Stereos

I have an old Radio Shack STA-225 receiver from 1977 or so. I was cleaning out the garage a few weeks ago and started to toss it, but I had a pair of speakers down there. Hooked it up and was surprised it fired up and other than a couple scratchy pots, it still does its' thing. First time it had been powered up in 30 years.

Randy
TC # 5401
67 Project SS Clone

Owning a Chevelle project is like having a giant-size piggy bank that you keep pouring money into....but you can't get it back out.
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 19, 9:33 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jim

Yes. I bought my Pioneer SX 1500-TD shortly after I got to Ubon AB in 1971. $135 at the BX. This ad was in a "Stereo Review" magazine ca. 1970. Notice the fine print at bottom of right column " $399.95 only".

That machine accompanied me every permanent-change -of -station (PCS) next 21 years...Thailand to Teaxs to Alaska to Panama to a few others. Stolen along with the rest of my treasures from storage after I retired. One problem when I'd had it for about 7 years...heard a "pop" in the other room and investigating, observed a wisp of smoke coming up from inside. Shop replaced a small capacitor and a transistor. Good to go for another 17 years.

I got a couple just like it off ebay about 20 years ago, and used one for quite a few years until one channel went dead. Sent the other to a guy in Colorado that advertised complete restoration. Wasted time and money. Shame, the genuine black walnut veneered case and brushed aluminum face were mint, like new. When I was retired for good, I just gave them away.

Enjoy your new toy. The feel of a heavy flywheel-like tuning is neat as are the all of the analogue controls and indicator light and instruments.

p.s. just guessing your Dad was military and got it at the PX/BX?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AdPioneer1500.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	605232  
blue_69_malibu and davewho1 like this.

Last edited by JJ'65; Oct 10th, 19 at 10:01 PM.
post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 19, 9:54 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to davewho1
Smile Re: Vintage Stereos

Quote:
Anyone else into these things?
Yes, indeed.

Pioneer - SX-3500 (my 1st 'vintage' receiver which infected me with this disease ); SX-1500T F; SX-990. Sansui - 4000. Akai - AA-1150. No 'Monster' receivers - yet.

KLH Model Twenty system complete with all paperwork.

A couple turntables; Akai GXC-760D 3-head cassette deck; Pioneer CT-F2121 cassette deck, etc.

Bunch of vintage and newer speakers. Lots of radios - vintage and newer, and other miscellaneous stuff.

A good friend who is an electronics genius fixes my junk up for free - I buy the parts.

Now I need to get rid of a bunch of clutter so I can set up a few systems.
blue_69_malibu likes this.

David

1966 Fremont 11A, SS396/L35 coupe - 1 of 66,843

MM/763; A01; A39; A51; D55; M35; N40; U14; U63

post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 19, 11:12 PM
Senior Tech Team
jerry

Vintage, Oh Yeah! You can't find audio equipment like this anymore. Warm, crisp power with the right speakers. I'm somewhat settling on the Realistic Mach 3s, but they deliver adequate, room filled music that actually hits EVERY room when needed.
You'd think I'd grow out of this....so I've been told.

Pioneer Sx1050, Technics SLD2 player and an AudioSource equalizer. 120 watts per but I'd like more if I purchase speakers that can handle it. They're expensive!

Yes, I even have a Pioneer TP900 in 2 of my rides and plenty of tapes. Ol'Skool all the way, every day.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20191010_185558395.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	605240  
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 19, 12:15 AM
Tech Team
Joe

Oh Yeah... System 1 in the bed room; Monteverdi R435 receiver, Technics M8 cassette player/recorder, Technics SLD 303 turn table.

System 2 in the family room; Sony HST - 221 Receiver with dual cassette deck, Sony CDP - C221 5 CD changer.

System 1 was purchased with my 1976 Income tax check
System 2 was purchased around 1989 when LPs were getting harder to find.

I still think the diamond stylus on vinyl sounds the best. I tried to take some pictures but the camera flash blows out the silver face on the units. It just looks like a star burst.
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 19, 12:28 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jim

You needed a few bucks to be an audiophile back in the day... 1957 Allied Radio Catalog - Everything In Electronics Low-res page 1 of 360 My first catalogue. I had a one-tube radio that I got as a kit the year before, and got the electronics bug (a little bit). Sputnik was a new deal the Soviets got the jump on us with.

THat stuff was $$$ back in the day. Check pg 17 for a "hi-fi (mono) receiver: 10W. only $109.95 including cabinet. That's
$993.26 in today's money.
davewho1 likes this.
post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 19, 1:06 AM
Tech Team
Bob

Garage

I have a 1957 Grundig Majestic console. Original cost was $1190.

And I have my original Muntz 4 & 8 track player mounted in my Elkie, just for show. I got it in 1970 while still in hgh school.
Attached Images

427L88, davewho1, hydro462 and 1 others like this.

'66 El Camino, 327, 5 speed, 3.31 posi.

Custom painters don't screw up! They just add more graphics.

Moderator - nevadashooters.com
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 19, 1:14 AM
Tech Team

Hereís my garage setup. Kenwood KA7300 power amp I bought new in 1977 and a Marantz Professional dual cassette deck. The cassette deck is from a government wiretap facility. Got it when they went digital in the early 90ís. I have two more NIB in case this one fails. Iím using a pair of ESS ďHeil Air Motion TransformerĒ speakers, also from the late 70ís. It still sounds great! Iíve still got the matching am-fm receiver for the Kenwood, as well as a Sony direct drive turntable from the same era. This stuff sounds so much better than the Sony surround sound and Bose speaker setup inside the house. I give the neighbors a concert whenever Iím working in the garage. Yeah, how about some Led Zep-Who-Clash-Stones...take that!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
davewho1 likes this.
post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 19, 2:12 AM
TKG
Tech Team
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tophog View Post
And I have my original Muntz 4 & 8 track player mounted in my Elkie, just for show. I got it in 1970 while still in hgh school.
I'll see your 8 track and raise you an Akai 8 track recorder. I finally sold it when 8 track blank cartridges dried up
Tophog likes this.

TKG
64 Malibu Coupe
283, Fitech
2004r, 4w discs
post #11 of 51 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 19, 7:32 AM
Senior Tech Team

I have an old Marantz I picked up at a garbage sale 10 years ago for $3.00 (they wanted $5) works good but volume cracks when turning. Anyone know how to fix that?

Tighten it till it strips and back it off a quarter turn.

70 (SOLD)

post #12 of 51 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 19, 8:33 AM
Tech Team
Rick

The crackly audio in your receiver is from a dirty volume control potentiometer when you turn the volume knob.

Buy some "Caig's Deoxit D5" electronic contact cleaner off of Amazon. This stuff cleans off oxides and dead carbon inside the pot without leaving any residue or oils to attract future dirt. Use the little red straw to spray this liquid into the tiny holes in the pot case and vigorously turn the pot while spraying. Use some compressed air while it's still internally damp with the Caig's to blow out dirt.

Should be good to go after that.

Rick

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

1970 El Camino under Reconstruction - 5.3L LS VORTEC Engine and 4L60E Transmission
post #13 of 51 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 19, 9:15 AM
Tech Team
Glen

Garage

I've been collecting for a couple of years now, here's a couple I have.
The speakers are Dynaco A-25x. I recapped them and they are awesome. I never heard of them before, but people love them. They put my newer Pioneer speakers to shame. They are sitting on some Sansui speakers.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	glen pioneer 1050.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	605254   Click image for larger version

Name:	SONY reciever.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	605256   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190401_210844546.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	605258   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190429_195147428.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	605260  

Name:	IMG_20190203_100406124.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	605262  

1968 Chevelle
468 Big Block
Muncie M20 4 Speed
12 Bolt Posi 3.31:1 Gears
post #14 of 51 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 19, 9:19 AM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by B52bombardier1 View Post
The crackly audio in your receiver is from a dirty volume control potentiometer when you turn the volume knob.

Buy some "Caig's Deoxit D5" electronic contact cleaner off of Amazon. This stuff cleans off oxides and dead carbon inside the pot without leaving any residue or oils to attract future dirt. Use the little red straw to spray this liquid into the tiny holes in the pot case and vigorously turn the pot while spraying. Use some compressed air while it's still internally damp with the Caig's to blow out dirt.

Should be good to go after that.

Rick

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Thanks.

Tighten it till it strips and back it off a quarter turn.

70 (SOLD)

post #15 of 51 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 19, 9:48 AM
Senior Tech Team

Love that old stuff some of it brings $ now.
Went looking last year and couldnt find a "home stereo" they are all boom boxes

Have a real old console stereo...want an older setup for the garage. Analog rocks.

Quote:
This post is a duplicate of a post that you have posted in the last five minutes.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in