Anyone sell on facebook marketplace? Scams? - Page 3 - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #31 of 41 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 19, 9:24 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Re: Anyone sell on facebook marketplace? Scams?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
Why does anyone need Team Chevelle to survive?
OR craigslist, or google, or cell phones, or any other website for that matter?

"When wants become needs we become trapped by them"...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 41 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 19, 10:35 AM
Tech Team
Bryan

One of my gripes with FB marketplace is that people just comment "Interested" on your listing and expect you to show up at their doorstep as if they just ordered your item from Amazon.

My other gripe is how there's button where people can fire off a message that asks "Is this still available?" And if you respond and make an effort to schedule time to meet up or talk about pricing, 95% of the time you don't hear back from them. I swear there must be people that just sit around all day and message every seller for every listing they see asking "is this still available?"

Anyways, I screen buyers and sellers the same way as I would when buying/selling anywhere else. Especially when I'm the seller, if you can't respond to a message or if you aren't willing to either meet up or speak on the phone, then I'm not wasting my time.

'66 SS Clone
Fast Burn 385hp Crate 350 (for now)
Muncie M20 & 3.42 Posi
UMI Stage 2 Suspension all around
post #33 of 41 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 19, 10:53 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

I sold a set of AZ code 15x8 Corvette rally wheels on there in about 45 minutes.
Funny story, title of the ad was "AZ code 15x8 Corvette rally wheels for sale" and I got 2 replies.
First one was "what is the code by the valve stem"
Second one was "when can I come get them" SOLD!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #34 of 41 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 19, 1:52 PM
Senior Tech Team

Gotta love redundant questions that are stated in the title/ad.
Men dont read its true. lol

Quote:
This post is a duplicate of a post that you have posted in the last five minutes.

post #35 of 41 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 19, 2:16 PM
Tech Team
Mike

I haven't seen any scams yet. I use CL and FB market place a lot. I'm finding CL isn't as popular anymore and most deals I've scored are off FB. Its convenient how your can save your searches and filters and be notified of a listing that meets your criteria. The other great thing is, you can stalk the persons profile most of the time. If you're hesitant to meet and make a deal, you can at least check them out beforehand. Usually pics of family and their golden retriever makes them appear harmless, but pics of unacceptable activity, well a picture is worth a thousand words...
I'm still trying to figure out why people click "I'm interested" and " still available?" and fall off the face of the earth... I just listed my kids power wheels, got 12 "I'm interested" and still no takers.

67 Chevelle 454, M21
Gen IV 454 (out of C30 ), 390 heads 1.88/2.19 valves by Vortecpro, with ISKY Hyd Roller cam (at 050 218 int./228 exh, lift 530 int./552 exh.), RPM performer intake, Fitech 600HP, Dougs headers, and M21, Gear Vendors OD, 3.73's, UMI Suspension, Viking coilovers.
post #36 of 41 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 19, 2:24 PM
Senior Tech Team

Dont get it either. Express interest, ask for pics, bunch of making sure it will work questions..then never hear from them again.
Think a lot got nothing better to do than window shop hoping something will fall in their lap

Quote:
This post is a duplicate of a post that you have posted in the last five minutes.

post #37 of 41 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 19, 11:40 AM
Tech Team

I see tons of muscle car scams on the new york facebook marketplace. tons of classified 50k looking chevelles with 13k asking prices all listed by the same sellers
post #38 of 41 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 19, 5:14 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

John, Do you vet people before they come? I know it's not foolproof, but I'm picky about who comes through my gate.
post #39 of 41 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 19, 6:16 PM
Senior Tech Team

x2 you can tell a lot by a voice....if everyone texts thats great but not if they plan on coming to my house.
Did that once, regretted it when a car full of thug types showed up.

Pulling my ads down off Cl, will sit on the engine the rest will go in the trash.
Found a good machinst may just build it.

Quote:

post #40 of 41 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 19, 9:26 PM
Tech Team

I have to make two other comments. I have had the is it still available replies too, then nothing more. Ready doesn't bother me that much. I think some people do sell their idem and not delete their ad. "sorry sold that last week" Yes I would prefer a phone call but I have sold many things through nothing more than text messages. That's the way the world is heading. On line banking, on line bill paying, on line shopping. No need to talk to people anymore.
Steve R likes this.
post #41 of 41 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 19, 4:07 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Just sold a 1976 Corvette steering wheel on FB market place, had it on there for about a day Got exactly what I wanted for it too
Now I just put a 1998 454 powered 3500 series flat bed on there, that will probably take awhile

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in