The wife kinda surprised me tonight - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

49Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 19, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Don

Garage
The wife kinda surprised me tonight

We went the the Good Guys show at the Texas Motor Speedway today and I must say I was kinda disappointed... nice venue, but not the cars I thought I'd see. We're from Nebraska and the closet we've gone to is Des Moines which is always pretty nice. Anyways back to the story... we were walking around and I would spot a nice car and would say, boy I'd sure like to find one like that to redo... maybe 4-5 cars hit my sweet spot. So we leave and go to dinner and she says, you know, instead of retiring in three years, you could keep working and just use that money to get one or two of those cars to have fun with that you were pointing out. I have a nice convertible that I like and it's always been understood it's one fun car at a time. Three yrs is a long time till retirement, but I may have to take her up on her offer and work a few extra years... she's 6yrs younger than I am so she'll have a few years to work anyways before we can do stuff together. She caught me completely off guard with that one.
LeoP, HKalin, 12stones and 1 others like this.

Don
'72 Malibu Convertible

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TC #4782
Lincoln, Ne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 19, 11:17 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bruce

Location: White Bear Lake, a northeast suburb of St. Paul, MinneSNOWta
Garage
Re: The wife kinda surprised me tonight

"It's a trap!" - (the late) Fleet Admiral Gial Ackbar

Our You Tube Vids:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 19, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Don

Garage

We'll see if the offer is still on the table in 3yrs... As much as I want to cut and run, the thought is tempting

Don
'72 Malibu Convertible

TC #4782
Lincoln, Ne
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 19, 11:35 PM
Super Mod
Rich

Garage

Back in 2010 I was looking around for a modern GTO. I was also trying to figure out how to sell the idea to the wife if I actually found one. Well, I found the orange '06 not too far away, low miles and a reasonable price. I sent her a link with photos and just asked, "how do you like this color?" since I kind of like different and bold colors, she is more conservative. She emailed back, "Are we going to go pick it up this weekend?" I was floored, but immediately contacted the seller, made arrangements for the funds and planned a trip to look at and I did end up buying it. Still have it.

Point being, my wife isn't really into the whole car thing, but she really does get how important cars are to me and so lets me do what I do as long as it doesn't get us into financial trouble, and it never has because I hate debt far more than she does.
64elkynss, DUKE 69, ACES1 and 4 others like this.

NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998

Rich Cummings
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 19, 12:05 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Just remind her you started working before her, and it's only fair that she keep working to buy them for you.
LKN BCK likes this.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 19, 9:17 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

These cars are a wives best ally.. They keep us out of trouble...
blm, MidLife72, shovelrick and 3 others like this.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 19, 9:34 AM
Senior Tech Team
Hank

Garage

As you get older you start to realize your time on earth is getting shorter and shorter. If you have the funds and can do it do it you can't take it with you. Cars like these were always a part of my life and even though I find myself driving my car less and less I have no desire to sell it.
Alan F, DUKE 69, ACES1 and 4 others like this.

71 Malibu, Cottonwood Green, 396 BBC, AutoGear M22W 4 speed, 12 bolt 3:55 posi.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 19, 9:38 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jonathan

I have 9 cars in the driveway and my wife really only drives one of them. She never complains when she sees me going to the parts store or junk yard because she knows I enjoy working on them.
ACES1, HKalin, OO52 and 1 others like this.

Two 72 Chevelle Malibus, both 350 2bbls one Placer Gold, one Midnight Bronze

Other cars:
2005 Pontiac Vibe
2005 Ford Excursion
2000 Dodge Durango
2003 Mercedes E320
2-2018 Ford Fusions
2013 Ford Fusion
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 19, 9:56 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Don

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ69chevelle View Post
Just remind her you started working before her, and it's only fair that she keep working to buy them for you.
Oh yea.. when I started talking retirement she cried foul that she would still need to work, but I reminder her I started well before her. So we're working on a plan to get her out at 62
64elkynss and HKalin like this.

Don
'72 Malibu Convertible

TC #4782
Lincoln, Ne
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 19, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Don

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevelle_Nut View Post
I have 9 cars in the driveway and my wife really only drives one of them. She never complains when she sees me going to the parts store or junk yard because she knows I enjoy working on them.
This is what she was always worried about with me... she knew before we got married, I would buy cars, fix 'em and keep or resell. Sometimes I would have 3 or 4 laying around with stacks of parts everywhere. I agreed to limit it to one at a time and it's worked. Wish I still had a few of those around and those are the ones I spot at cars shows and she can see it in my eyes
HKalin likes this.

Don
'72 Malibu Convertible

TC #4782
Lincoln, Ne
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 19, 10:22 AM
Senior Tech Team
Terry

You mean that you couldnt figure the same plan she has yourself? I dont know your age, but I say retire now and get the car project you want. In 3 years you may not even feel like or may not be capable . She may be putting the idea on delay and come up with other thoughts in 3 yrs.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 19, 10:29 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

It’s awesome having a wife/best friend that gets the car passion. My wife’s father was a GM tool and die engineer so she was raised with a car bug too.

I remember in 2004, I mentioned I wanted to go check out a new GTO. A few days later, she calls me and says “Guess where I am... sitting in your new GTO.” She even gave up her mustang convertible so I could get it saying will get another some day. Now she has a 2017 Camaro SS convertible 6 speed.

In summary, it’s awesome (and probably a little more expensive) when our wives are car people too!

Team Chevelle Member (19 years and counting...
)

'72 Chevelle Convertible (Mohave Gold) (all SS options, no SS badging)

2004 Pontiac GTO (Quicksilver) RIP April 2013
--> Replaced with 2004 Pontiac GTO (Barbados Blue)

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche (Sunset Orange Metallic)

Last edited by 72soft-top; Sep 29th, 19 at 10:48 AM.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 19, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Don

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryAT View Post
You mean that you couldnt figure the same plan she has yourself? I dont know your age, but I say retire now and get the car project you want. In 3 years you may not even feel like or may not be capable . She may be putting the idea on delay and come up with other thoughts in 3 yrs.
I'm 62 and have the car I thought would be my last project car and pretty happy with it. (I'd be happier if it was that W code 4-speed convertible I tried to buy in the mid-eighties for $4,000 but wasn't fast enough). Your right though in three years my health could be in a different place

Don
'72 Malibu Convertible

TC #4782
Lincoln, Ne
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 19, 12:16 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidLife72 View Post
(I'd be happier if it was that W code 4-speed convertible I tried to buy in the mid-eighties for $4,000 but wasn't fast enough).
Well there is your answer. Why not convert the one you have now into a 454/ 4 speed car. That will give you plenty to do and you already know the vehicle.
I used to think I wanted 2 or 3 classic cars. After many years I realized that I can on!y use one at a time and that would leave one of more vehicles ignored.
Also I only have a 2 car garage and my wife is very much attached to one spot for her car. At one point I tried to add 2 more bays but that fell through. So would have to rent storage for another. Which would be a hassle.
Following is somewhat related to this thread. I am currently 63. Couple years ago as we were meeting with our investment councillor he said Brad you have to work till you are 66 but my wife gets to retire at the same time, which she will only be 63. Then a few years later I will die but my wife lives for another 15 years. I told him that I am getting ripped off at both ends. I then suggested that I retire when I am 63 and my wife works till she is 66. After all fair is fair.
HKalin and Chevelle_Nut like this.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 19, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Don

Garage

Good call BLM... The car I have is mostly stock in appearance and I like it, but the big block 4-speed has always got my attention for fun. We have a similar garage situation except three stall. If I do get another, my truck would be in the driveway. No way do I want to get into a self storage situation

Don
'72 Malibu Convertible

TC #4782
Lincoln, Ne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in